Nic Harris

DaGimp

I Tivo'd the game and reran most of the plays repeatedly.

Nic Harris looked very good. So did Ashlee Palmer and Marcus Buggs for the most part. All three of them had one bad pursuit angle each but that'll happen to every linebacker at least once a game. When guys like Spencer Johnson and other DL are being blown out of the play it makes it very hard on the linebackers.

Ellison does have competition but unfortunately he's probably leading the derby right now because he knows the defense so well. Basically with Ellison he'll hurt you physically. With the young guys, they'll hurt you mentally right now.

I noticed that Harris wasn't getting great depth on his zone drops but that may be because he was spying on Vince Young quite a bit. I loved when we drafted Harris and think he'll be an excellent player in time. It may be that the coaching staff starts giving him more reps to see if they can speed up his development.

Another young defender who looked good was Derrick Jones, the recently signed DT. He's big and athletic and aside from Marcus Stroud, he's the only DT on the Bills who can say this. He was also very quick off the ball.

I thought he was one of only a few bright spots the entire night. The run play where he came through the middle, and then chased the play down to the left was very telling on how athletic he is. I think it was 2 plays prior he made a tackle, and kept driving the guy into the ground. He also appears to have a mean streak. A+++++ for Harris.

I would guarantee Harris as a starter in the season opener if not for Limp DIcks inability to play rookies. Hell, I guaranteed Harris to be the best pick of our draft this past April, so I obviously love the kid -- no homo. He and Poz were the only players on the D last night that repeatedly made any type of plays, everyone else was just kind of out there. Even when he wasnt making the play, he was taking ones away. On one of the Oilers TD passes, I beieve it was Langster being beat on a fade, Harris had quickly IDed the pass and dropped into a wide zone coverage taking away any type of a slant from the receiver. Obviously there was not a slant being run but that type of ID is huge on goal line D. Expect Harris to have one hell of a career.

The difference between Keith Ellison and Nic Harris is that Ellison can read his keys, get to the spot to make a play, and gets eliminated by a blocker. When Harris gets to the spot to make a play, he f---'s someone's s--- up.

One thing everyone is going to have to get used to with Harris is he does tend to get a little too over-excited. He was notorious in college for late hit penalties & unnecessary roughness penalties (a la London Fletcher).

So you can love on him all you want (and he did look good last night) but we'll have to take the good with the bad here.

The problem is, as someone mentioned in another thread, that Ellison probably looks good on Fridays during walkthroughs. Dick sees that and doesn't think to sit him down. It's the reason why players like Greer and Jackson sat on the bench for so long. Getting destroyed on Sundays be damned, he runs fast in shorts!

Maybe we get lucky and this is finally the year Dick sees what we all do.

The problem is, as someone mentioned in another thread, that Ellison probably looks good on Fridays during walkthroughs. Dick sees that and doesn't think to sit him down. It's the reason why players like Greer and Jackson sat on the bench for so long. Getting destroyed on Sundays be damned, he runs fast in shorts!

Maybe we get lucky and this is finally the year Dick sees what we all do.

Of course, you conveniently ignore the fact that Dick knows the game of football 10 times better than even the most knowledgeable poster on this board.

He looked really good on the running play he ran down from the backside behind the line to make the solo tackle, saved a BIG gain.

For my money, on that play, Harris made the best non-turnover defensive play by a Bill that I've seen over the last three years, preseason or regular season.

I spent a lot of time watching Harris last night, and overall really liked what I saw. He's physical, aggressive, and seems to be catching on to LB well. There were two plays I noticed that he let his aggressiveness take him away from the play (biting on mis-direction), but that's a rookie thing that he can work on.

As much as I liked him, I'm not sure I'd want him out there week 1. I think he's going to need more time to learn his assignments in the defense. But considering it's his first game in the NFL, and at a new position, his future looks bright.

If we could get Maybin on the field, this defense could go places.