Appalled?

Yeah- the appalled thing caught my attention too,,,pretty funny. I have to say though...at 90+ yrs old, the man did most of his speech without looking at his notes. That's impressive for anyone that age. I would have been like Bruce...so nervous that I would have read it verbatim from my papers. Props to Ralph for having the ability to give a 20 min speech off the cuff. His mind is still going strong.

I'd like to be like anyone whose not in a box when I'm 90.

Seriously?

My brother is 60, in dialysis, bad liver and many other conditions. His life is a fairly miserable one, as far as I can tell. I can't know what I would feel in his position, but I have a feeling the sweet embrace of death would be preferable to me. I guess I feel simple "existence" is overrated.

My Dad is in his late 80's and has limited mobility, but is otherwise in fair shape. If I were him, I'd be happy to be alive.

OTOH, my Mother is 79, in good health, but rapidly loosing her mind. She forgets things we discussed minutes earlier. Some could live with that comfortably, I think (some of them are here, I think), but I have a feeling that would be very hard, for me. Of course, I might forget about that, if I was in her condition.

Seriously?

Well...maybe not anyone, but assuming I am reasonably independent physically (i.e., can walk and use the bathroom) and don't have Alzheimer's, sure, I'd like to stick around for a while even if my health wasn't perfect.

No doubt there are plenty of really unpleasant ways to die, but more and more you see people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s with terrible diseases so it's not just a matter of age. I've had the misfortune to see my Dad die from cancer and my Mom currently has advanced ALS (which is much worse).

I don't think that word means what Ralph thinks it means

He definately said "appalled". For a moment I thought he was going to say something about how he was 90 and still in good health and these people in wheelchairs with oxygen should have exercised more. The whole time of course you can see a guy in a wheelchair about 8 rows from the front and I think Bruce's mom wearing xygen. I think he meant amazed but man I was really really scared there for a moment.

For a few seconds I thought Ralph was going to talk about affordable health care for people in need, and that he was appalled by the fact these people couldn't afford to get the kind of care that he can. I didn't think it was the time or place to talk health care. Then, when he continued, I realized that he had just said the wrong word.

LOL some people are never happy. i think everyone understood what he meant. If you didn't you are a complete and utter moron. He's 90 years old and memorized his speech. Anyone else notice he took his glasses off before he started? I personally think his speech was the best out of everyone. He was short and didn't go on and on like Rod Woodson did.

Seriously?

My brother is 60, in dialysis, bad liver and many other conditions. His life is a fairly miserable one, as far as I can tell. I can't know what I would feel in his position, but I have a feeling the sweet embrace of death would be preferable to me. I guess I feel simple "existence" is overrated.

My Dad is in his late 80's and has limited mobility, but is otherwise in fair shape. If I were him, I'd be happy to be alive.

OTOH, my Mother is 79, in good health, but rapidly loosing her mind. She forgets things we discussed minutes earlier. Some could live with that comfortably, I think (some of them are here, I think), but I have a feeling that would be very hard, for me. Of course, I might forget about that, if I was in her condition.

I'm not sure the post was intended as a debate on quality of life issues as we age.

I'm not sure the post was intended as a debate on quality of life issues as we age.

Actually, I think KD took it exactly in the spirit in which it was offered, if his fine response is any indication.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1500939

This isn't the Ralph Wilson HOF thread. It seems like an obvious "side issue" thread that is discussing his age, and the things that come with aging. Perhaps I am out of line, but it seems like a discussion of whether you would want to live to be 90 is perfect for this thread.

So, moving on...

I think I agree with KD, for the most part. If you are independent, and your mind is reasonably good, why not enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

Actually, I think KD took it exactly in the spirit in which it was offered, if his fine response is any indication.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1500939

This isn't the Ralph Wilson HOF thread. It seems like an obvious "side issue" thread that is discussing his age, and the things that come with aging. Perhaps I am out of line, but it seems like a discussion of whether you would want to live to be 90 is perfect for this thread.

So, moving on...

I think I agree with KD, for the most part. If you are independent, and your mind is reasonably good, why not enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

I was referring to how you responded to KD's post about being 90 and not in a box. I agreed with what I interpreted as a general appreciation for life in KD's post, disagreed with the infusion of the topic of quality of life when you mentioned your specific family members. My apologies for any confusion.

I quickly strarted hoping he said applaud, but no, appalled.

Given his many references to the very past he's witnessed, it makes me wonder if certain morals of the day weren't at play there.. , even though I'm pretty sure he meant how much life has changed for the disabled from then to now. -Especially having witnessed all of FDR's years.

Seriously?

Perspective changes as your life changes. When you're young, you think that anyone over 30 is old (although my 8-1/2 year old made me proud when he said 50 was young, and I'm over a decade away from reaching it). When you're healthy, you thank god/your lucky stars you're not sick. But when you get old and/or sick, you thank god/your lucky stars for what life you do have.

Perspective changes as your life changes. When you're young, you think that anyone over 30 is old (although my 8-1/2 year old made me proud when he said 50 was young, and I'm over a decade away from reaching it). When you're healthy, you thank god/your lucky stars you're not sick. But when you get old and/or sick, you thank god/your lucky stars for what life you do have.

I'm 52, so I'm not exactly a spring chicken. Of course, I'm shocked I have lived this long.