Ralph silenced some posters yesterday

Any evidence for that ? I have seen/read/heard nothing that suggests Ralph demanded the stadium carry his name. Back it up, or be gone.

The county (not the state or Ralph) has naming rights, and decided on their own (with no pressure from Ralph, from what I have heard) to name the stadium in his honor.

Correct. I can't look it up right now because I'm still in Canton, but the citation is in Relentless II. Pataki made that call.

And I pity those people who don't realize -- or refuse to accept -- that the NFL itself would not exist in its current form without Ralph Wilson's contributions. THAT'S why he's in the Hall of Fame.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was supposed to tie into the "you were brilliant if you could break even" bit. Perhaps an example of just how tight money was.

Coper, I didn't think about that, but that is it, they did not want to lose the balls, now they

just put up the net, they are still cheap bastards. But I too was a little confused by Ralph's

tale, and it's relation to his overall speech. Makes sense now. Somethings never change.

Who can blame him after Carl Peterson talked for two hours?

:lol: Outstanding take! Peterson must have thrown out about 14 "ending lines" .... and then kept right on talking. I was waiting for the Acadamy Award orchestra to start playing to shut him up.

Correct. I can't look it up right now because I'm still in Canton, but the citation is in Relentless II. Pataki made that call.

And I pity those people who don't realize -- or refuse to accept -- that the NFL itself would not exist in its current form without Ralph Wilson's contributions. THAT'S why he's in the Hall of Fame.

Thanks for pointing that out, Lori. I was pilloried around here several years ago for saying RW wasn't responsible for naming the stadium after himself and that Pataki was a driving force behind the decision. I've got LORI CRED. Beats street cred any day of the week.

GO BILLS!!!

So he never demanded a new stadium from the taxpayers, doesn't gouge the fans, didn't name the stadium after himself, could have moved the team several times but didn't, spends money on players, spent money on a GM (TD, which didn't workout), but needs to spend more on coaches, even though that doesn't guaranteed success, as Snyder and Jones have proven. So, why the hatred for the man?

Any evidence for that ? I have seen/read/heard nothing that suggests Ralph demanded the stadium carry his name. Back it up, or be gone.

The county (not the state or Ralph) has naming rights, and decided on their own (with no pressure from Ralph, from what I have heard) to name the stadium in his honor.

Once again, here's the lease I posted previously a few times. The Bills own the naming rights:

http://www.erie.gov/billslease/stadium.phtml

"4.2 Naming of Stadium Complex. (a) The Bills shall have the exclusive right to name, or contract from time to time with any Person or Persons on such terms as the Bills may determine with respect to the naming of the Stadium Complex or any portion thereof; provided that (i) the term during which any such name shall apply shall expire no later than the end of the Term (whether due to the attainment of the Stadium Lease Expiration Date or any earlier termination or cancellation thereof) and (ii) given the substantial interest of the County and the ECSC in the Stadium Complex and the public character thereof, the Bills shall not permit any name to be given to the Stadium Complex or any portion thereof except in accordance with this Section 4.2."

I hope that if I live to be 90, no one looks back on my life with a microcope on my failings and an eye patch on my achievenments.

I am very disappointed that after all these years, the Bills have no Super Bowl Trophy. I have been very critical of RW in the past about this, but I have been hoping he would make the HOF for a while now.

Berman's speech (transcript)

This made me be proud to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills.

Brief excerpt:

"Here we are in Canton, Ohio, 20 seasons after the Bills played in their first Super Bowl, 40 seasons after the merger. 45 seasons after the Bills won their first championship, and 50 seasons after the AFL started play on what seemed like a wing and a prayer. Ready at last to honor a gentleman 90 years young. If it is true that no one - help me out here Buffalo; okay? That no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills!

If that's true, you know this is true. No one has circled the wagons like the only owner the Buffalo Bills have ever had. A founding father of the AFL, a man who served his country in the Navy in World War II. The man I am honored and humbled to present to you for enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Mr. Ralph Wilson Jr."

Once again, here's the lease I posted previously a few times. The Bills own the naming rights:

"4.2 Naming of Stadium Complex. (a) The Bills shall have the exclusive right to name, or contract from time to time with any Person or Persons on such terms as the Bills may determine with respect to the naming of the Stadium Complex or any portion thereof; provided that (i) the term during which any such name shall apply shall expire no later than the end of the Term (whether due to the attainment of the Stadium Lease Expiration Date or any earlier termination or cancellation thereof) and (ii) given the substantial interest of the County and the ECSC in the Stadium Complex and the public character thereof, the Bills shall not permit any name to be given to the Stadium Complex or any portion thereof except in accordance with this Section 4.2."

Yes the Bills own the exclusive rights to name the stadium. That's never been in dispute as far as I know. What's always been argued by his detractors is, since the Bills DO own the naming rights, that miserly, ego-centric Ralph Wilson simply decided to rename the stadium after himself. But he didn't. Pataki suggested it in the first place and RW's family along with Littman and others in the Bills' hierarchy quickly jumped on board. While I suppose RW could have jumped up on a table and kicked and hollered how much he was against the idea, I also appreciate that sometimes it's important to let those who love you honor you. I know for a fact RW was embarrassed at first but he basically lost the argument.

It's important to understand, and I know YOU do, that the naming rights exist as an exclusive OPTION that the Bills may freely exercize so long as it doesn't conflict with the other articles in section 4.2. Other than agreeing with Pataki in 1998, they haven't done anything in the way of exercising that option, obviously.

GO BILLS!!!

buffalorumblings.com/2009/.../on-the-naming-rights-to-ralph - Cached - Similar

Ralph Wilson controls the lease. When the outdoor hockey game was played he received the rent for the use of the stadium. The owner has the authority to sell the naming rights of the stadium and receive payment for it. He so far has declined that option.

buffalorumblings.com/2009/.../on-the-naming-rights-to-ralph - Cached - Similar

Ralph Wilson controls the lease. When the outdoor hockey game was played he received the rent for the use of the stadium. The owner has the authority to sell the naming rights of the stadium and receive payment for it. He so far has declined that option.

My bad, guys. Thanks for the correction.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing that out, Lori. I was pilloried around here several years ago for saying RW wasn't responsible for naming the stadium after himself and that Pataki was a driving force behind the decision. I've got LORI CRED. Beats street cred any day of the week.

GO BILLS!!!

Okay, now that I'm home -- Relentless II, Page 122:

(Dec. 18, 1998) -- New York Governor George Pataki suggested that the stadium in Orchard Park be re-named Ralph Wilson Stadium, and Wilson graciously agreed. Since the naming rights for Rich Products, Inc., had expired in the summer, the stadium did not have a name.

"I can think of no better way to show our appreciation to the man who brought the National Football League to Western New York, and kept it here," Pataki said.

It's not mentioned in Maiorana's recap of the next home game, so I'd have to look it up on the microfilm, but I believe Pataki was on the field for the naming ceremony.

Okay, now that I'm home -- Relentless II, Page 122:

It's not mentioned in Maiorana's recap of the next home game, so I'd have to look it up on the microfilm, but I believe Pataki was on the field for the naming ceremony.

That's how I recall it. The "Rich" contract ran out and they had to name it something. Ralph didnt want to sell the rights again, and someone else (Pataki) suggested to Erie County that they name it "Ralph Wilson Stadium". They brought the idea to him and he was honored.

That's how I recall it. The "Rich" contract ran out and they had to name it something. Ralph didnt want to sell the rights again, and someone else (Pataki) suggested to Erie County that they name it "Ralph Wilson Stadium". They brought the idea to him and he was honored.

Correct. It was actually referred to as "Bills Stadium" in the official box scores for the first part of that season.