Few practice notes for today (8/5)

So I made it out to Rochester today, great weather...great people...very nice experience at camp all around.

As for the play on the field, a couple of "quick hits" that I noticed. I paid a lot of attention to the O-Line for obvious reasons.

--Roscoe Parrish is doing everything he possibly can to make an impact and be noticed. Whether its making behind the back catches or darting across the middle for extra yardage, he was really giving it all this practice.

--Fitzpatrick had a pretty decent day throwing the ball, even managed to roll out and avoid pressure to gain what would have been a first down. Edwards' passes look good, nothing really spectacular to report from this camp since they seem to practice a lot of underneath and dump off passes.

--Shawn Nelson practiced with the first string. Take it for what it's worth. On individual drills he did get beat badly while pass blocking by Chris Ellis, but then came back the next play and stood him up. He's going to need some time.

--Demetrius Bell didn't look very good on the individual drills, letting Kelsay get around him twice. During the "scrimmage" portion of the practice he more than held his own though.

--Same goes with Levitre...struggled a bit with the drills that allow the advantage to go to the rushing D-player, but looked very good with 7 on 7.

--Wood is a friggin monster with a capital MON. He stood up Marcus Stroud all day, even getting big Marcus to chuckle when he couldn't get past the rookie on individual drills. This kid looked amazing.

--Props to Langston Walker who was a wall during the entire practice, didn't let anyone get by him. I didn't notice anything about Hangartner, didn't get beat badly but didn't knock anyone on their butt either.

--Chris Ellis surprised me, looked really quick coming off the edge and looks to have gotten much bigger than last year.

--Ugh, Keith Ellison on the other hand was exactly as I remembered him last year. Got demolished on a few run blocking drills (knocked completely off his feet by Walker).

--The practice MVPs however were both OLBs, Ashlee Palmer and Nic Harris. Both Poz and Mitchell had the day off so they were rotated into the starting lineup often. Not only were they all over the field during their scrimmage play (with Palmer creating a lot of backfield chaos on running plays) but they looked fantastic during the drills. Harris had this one handed amazing INT and then scooted down the field with no one in front of him, and Palmer picked off two passes during the endzone drills. Very impressed with both of them, hopefully they'll show some flashes during the preseason.

As I said, very good practice and as usual St. John Fisher put on a good show. I'm still worried about the O-Line with some of the younger guys struggling against larger opponents. It's still early in camp though, so we'll see. Love our receivers though and I'm (shockingly) more confident in our LB crew.

Awesome report. I like what I'm hearing. With five games to practice, I'm not too worried about the O-line. They'll get their collective act together.

Thanks for the report. for those of us who live outside WNY most of our news and info comes from so called journalists. Whom we all know can be somewhat biased. I would rather hear the comments of a Bills fan who knows what to watch for, and is more honest with what they see. I really wish i could be there for camp, or hell even a game this year. But i will have to make due with going to Miami to see them in person. But come December i bet most of you wish you were here in FLA. Is it a push?....nahhh , Id rather be in Buffalo!

Awesome report. I like what I'm hearing. With five games to practice, I'm not too worried about the O-line. They'll get their collective act together.

I agree. I think that giving Bell all the time with the starters that they can will only make him better sooner.

Given what Ross Tucker said about RG being the hardest position to play, and Wood looking like a future stud there, does anyone think that Butler might be better-served at LG?

Mny thanks for the report, as someone already said, far better than the so-called professional, paid reporters give us. You add to the rising hope that they made a good pick in Eric Wood. Also nice to hear Ellis is making strides in his second year. Hope he can replace Kelsay, because otherwise, there isn't gonna be much pressure on QBs. I'm concerned about Butler's back; obviously, an O-lineman can't perform if his back is going out on him and no-one can do much about backs.

That's why I'm glad to hear good things about D. Bell, but I am also wondering how Chambers looks, because he'll probably end up playing RT.

Harris had this one handed amazing INT and then scooted down the field with no one in front of him, and Palmer picked off two passes during the endzone drills.

First, thanks for the great report.

If I may ask, which QB(s) made the throws referenced to in the above?

Thanks for the great report! From previous pratices reports and yours today, Roscoe seems to be having a good camp so far, I hope they find a way to get him the ball more often, still not going to be easy with TO, Evans and Reed set as the top 3 WR's...

So I made it out to Rochester today, great weather...great people...very nice experience at camp all around.

As for the play on the field, a couple of "quick hits" that I noticed. I paid a lot of attention to the O-Line for obvious reasons.

--Roscoe Parrish is doing everything he possibly can to make an impact and be noticed. Whether its making behind the back catches or darting across the middle for extra yardage, he was really giving it all this practice.

--Fitzpatrick had a pretty decent day throwing the ball, even managed to roll out and avoid pressure to gain what would have been a first down. Edwards' passes look good, nothing really spectacular to report from this camp since they seem to practice a lot of underneath and dump off passes.

--Shawn Nelson practiced with the first string. Take it for what it's worth. On individual drills he did get beat badly while pass blocking by Chris Ellis, but then came back the next play and stood him up. He's going to need some time.

--Demetrius Bell didn't look very good on the individual drills, letting Kelsay get around him twice. During the "scrimmage" portion of the practice he more than held his own though.

--Same goes with Levitre...struggled a bit with the drills that allow the advantage to go to the rushing D-player, but looked very good with 7 on 7.

--Wood is a friggin monster with a capital MON. He stood up Marcus Stroud all day, even getting big Marcus to chuckle when he couldn't get past the rookie on individual drills. This kid looked amazing.

--Props to Langston Walker who was a wall during the entire practice, didn't let anyone get by him. I didn't notice anything about Hangartner, didn't get beat badly but didn't knock anyone on their butt either.

--Chris Ellis surprised me, looked really quick coming off the edge and looks to have gotten much bigger than last year.

--Ugh, Keith Ellison on the other hand was exactly as I remembered him last year. Got demolished on a few run blocking drills (knocked completely off his feet by Walker).

--The practice MVPs however were both OLBs, Ashlee Palmer and Nic Harris. Both Poz and Mitchell had the day off so they were rotated into the starting lineup often. Not only were they all over the field during their scrimmage play (with Palmer creating a lot of backfield chaos on running plays) but they looked fantastic during the drills. Harris had this one handed amazing INT and then scooted down the field with no one in front of him, and Palmer picked off two passes during the endzone drills. Very impressed with both of them, hopefully they'll show some flashes during the preseason.

As I said, very good practice and as usual St. John Fisher put on a good show. I'm still worried about the O-Line with some of the younger guys struggling against larger opponents. It's still early in camp though, so we'll see. Love our receivers though and I'm (shockingly) more confident in our LB crew.

Thanks for the news and notes bro'. It's encouraging to hear good reports about Ellis and the younger LB's. We all know what Ellison is and it's no surprise that he's getting knocked all over the place. I'm also not surprised about Wood because that was the expectation coming out of college. He was the highest rated interior lineman on many draft boards and I expect him to be excellent for us this season. I think Levitre will be alright and just hope that whoever is on the outside can keep Trent off the ground.

Thanks Malt- er.. OP! I'm getting the feeling Nelson's gonna start in the opener. It appears from these on-site Waller's reports that the coaching staff is high on him and giving him many reps with the 1st unit. IMO, how the tackles play and how quickly he can learn to chip DE's are the only things standing in his way from making us forget about Reimers-Metzala-Hunte-Cost-Warlick! Yeah, that's it!

Thanks again!

Thx - I enjoyed the LB report. Ellison is a great back-up. Good news on Nic Harris & Ashlee Palmer - I remember watching Palmer in college - he was a defensive stud - all over the field making plays. I sincerely hope he and Harris make the jump to the next level (& put Ellison on the bench).

I wish Palmer were competing at SLB instead of being stuck behind Mitchell at WLB.