Go Freddy go

The only advantage that Jackson has over Marshawn is receiving and that is somewhat debatable.

Agreed. I think the apparent advantage is more circumstantial than actual. Jackson is very good, though.

You know....its probably in the top 3. I think the Giants and the Raiders have great backs also. Like I said in another post, alot hinges on our O line.

The Faders have too much tied up in RB's. Considering all the other needs they have drafting McFadden after Fartgas has over a thousand yards in seven starts is ludicrous. JMO

Unless he gets hurt, he's going to play in five pre-season games. While they won't be like full games, it will be the equivalent of 1-2 games. If any player on any team played in the first two games, got hurt, and then missed the next three, as soon as he was nearly 100% (and probably closer to 80-90%) he would immediately go back in. That is what is going to happen. IF Freddy is doing amazing, they may split time for awhile, kind of like going with a hot goaltender, but if he is his normal solid and sometimes amazing self, Lynch will likely step right in and start or at least play the majority of the game like it was any game. You can also guarantee he will be working his ass off when not playing and itching like hell to go in like gangbusters.

I still think the fourth game will be a slow road back.

Bet your ass that Lynch sees 20 carries in week 4. (Provided we are in position to run the ball that much and not down 31-0 or something)

I'm guessing 10.

I think that Jackson seems to find the holes better than Marshawn, but ML is a tougher runner that can make something out of nothing.

Agreed, ML had some amazing runs when he had guys on him in the backfield right after getting the ball, or just pushing the pile forward...One thing I'm wondering, is how many touches, if any, will Rhodes get when ML comes back and him and Jackson are playing well? Maybe some trick plays with with one of them lined up outside since they can all catch the ball pretty good, who knows...

I'm guessing 10.

I really don't understand the worry, especially for a RB. Pretty much every starting running back plays a quarter in the first preseason game, maybe a half in the second, about a half in the third and then misses the last preseason game entirely. So it's two full weeks since they played one half of a game and yet they are all expected to be fully ready and full go on opening day. It would be different if Lynch missed all training camp andpreseason but he won't.

The Faders have too much tied up in RB's. Considering all the other needs they have drafting McFadden after Fartgas has over a thousand yards in seven starts is ludicrous. JMO

I'm guessing 10.

But thats not the point..the argument was best backfield...not what they have invested etc....

One thing I'm wondering, is how many touches, if any, will Rhodes get when ML comes back and him and Jackson are playing well?

I've been criticized for my opinion on Rhodes in the past, but....well, let's put it this way. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on the roster by the end of the season. If Jackson and Lynch are both up to their past standards of performance, it wouldn't shock me if the FO decides to make room for another position that might be getting hammered by the injury bug (a la 2007). That could happen as soon as Lynch comes back, but that might be pushing it. That, however, also wouldn't surprise me.

thats exactly my feeling on it as well. if the BILLS end up with a running game that averages 160+yds/game, why WOULDNT they see what happens when their starter returns?!?! Jackson isnt going to get those yards all by himself, that rushing average would HAVE to mean that our line is blocking and the play calling is working, at least in the running game.

and for anyone saying Fred "outperformed" Marshawn in 2008:

Lynch: 250 attempts, 1036 yards, 4.1 avg, 8 TDs

Jackson: 130 attempts, 571 yards, 4.4 avg, 3 TDs

So on half the carries, Freddie got half the yards and half the TDs and averaged about 1 foot more per carry...

Really? Have you seen jackson hit the hole? His burst is far superior.

Jackson is a no nonsense runner and runs where the play is designed to run. Lynch wants to hit a home run every time by dancing around waiting for the perfect hole to run through, kind of like our castoff, McGahee. I don't think there is any RB in the NFL that gets more yards with tacklers draped all over him than Lynch. Still, Jackson has shown some of that ability too. We're pretty lucky to have them both.

Jackson is a no nonsense runner and runs where the play is designed to run. Lynch wants to hit a home run every time by dancing around waiting for the perfect hole to run through, kind of like our castoff, McGahee. I don't think there is any RB in the NFL that gets more yards with tacklers draped all over him than Lynch. Still, Jackson has shown some of that ability too. We're pretty lucky to have them both.

... and that's the bottom line. Each has their strengths and they are both very good. They have both played in an offense in which their O-line was better at pass protection than run blocking and a passing game without a respected deep threat.

Look out if this O does manage to open up the passing game. I would love to see both ML and FJ with open lanes.

Guest dog14787

QUOTE (DrDankenstein @ Aug 4 2009, 02:51 PM) *

thats exactly my feeling on it as well. if the BILLS end up with a running game that averages 160+yds/game, why WOULDNT they see what happens when their starter returns?!?! Jackson isnt going to get those yards all by himself, that rushing average would HAVE to mean that our line is blocking and the play calling is working, at least in the running game.

and for anyone saying Fred "outperformed" Marshawn in 2008:

Lynch: 250 attempts, 1036 yards, 4.1 avg, 8 TDs

Jackson: 130 attempts, 571 yards, 4.4 avg, 3 TDs

So on half the carries, Freddie got half the yards and half the TDs and averaged about 1 foot more per carry...

Right, and lets not forget that Fred Jackson is also a better receiver coming out of the backfield. :rolleyes:

That's my understanding, as well. I don't think it is the inability to see the hole, I think Lynch is looking for the best opportunity to break it long. That's fine, at times, but he needs to learn to take what's there, more often. Fred has played a lot more football in his life than Lynch, I assume, and takes what is given most of the time. Lynch should only get better with time.