Maiorana and Roth: Langston Walker Not Real Happy at LT

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This scenario is somewhat reminiscent of mid 2006 when Peters was moved from RT to LT. Now, the Bills are moving another former RT to LT and hoping it works. This time, the man forced to transition into the most difficult position on the OL doesn't have the strength or athleticism as his predecessor did.
I'm more worried about his foot speed at his current weight,said to be 366 on the Bills roster page

When a guy comes out and admits that he didn't give his full effort because he was thinking about his contract

This is, like, the fifth time that people have made this claim, that Peters said he didn't give full effort. It's simply wrong. I don't know how else to put it. Now, you might be wrong just because you heard it on the boards that he said that. And if so, fine, misunderstandings happen. But if you can look at the actual transcript, and tell me that Peters said he didn't give full effort, than you're a liar. He never said that.

Each time people make this claim, I ask for a link. The only one anyone has sent me is the one where Peters is quoted as saying “I was thinking about it sometimes," he said. "If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract. It doesn’t affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year but later on in the year it wasn’t a big deal.”

Nowhere in there does he say he didn't give full effort. Nowhere. What it seems to say is that when he got beat, he occasionally thought about his contract. Of course. Stuff pops into my head at work, too. But he never indicates for an instant that he didn't give 100%.

So let me ask you again, CAN YOU PRODUCE A PETERS QUOTATION WHERE HE SAYS HE GAVE LESS THAN 100%? If you can't, then quit making the claim.

I'm waiting.

And have you ever heard of a "quad spasm," much less a reason to put a player on the PUP list?

Have I heard of a quad spasm? Of course. It's a tiny little spasm of the quad muscle. It should be over in a few days.

Have I heard of it as a reason to put a guy on the PUP list? Nope. But the Eagles put seven guys on the PUP list at the same time, including Asante Samuels. Clearly, they want to bring in seven guy who they couldn't fit on the roster and give them a two or three day shot in a live-fire setting. They probably figure they can come up with maybe one gem. It's a pretty good idea.

If he was giving 100%, he would've been thinking about doing his job instead of his contract. It's not like we're talking downtime on the sidelines....he was out on the field charged with protecting the blindsides of Trent Edwards and JP Losman when he was thinking about his contract instead of what he needed to be thinking about.

Plus, no one can say that Peters isn't a talented player...but when you see lackadaisical, lazy play, he's obviously not giving his all.

He didn't need to come out and say specifically that he wasn't giving his all...just need a little common sense to see that he wasn't.

If he was giving 100%, he would've been thinking about doing his job instead of his contract. It's not like we're talking downtime on the sidelines....he was out on the field charged with protecting the blindsides of Trent Edwards and JP Losman when he was thinking about his contract instead of what he needed to be thinking about.

Plus, no one can say that Peters isn't a talented player...but when you see lackadaisical, lazy play, he's obviously not giving his all.

He didn't need to come out and say specifically that he wasn't giving his all...just need a little common sense to see that he wasn't.

How long did he think about his contract? Did it say that? Could it not have been for three seconds after the play? Or less. There is no reason whatsoever to think that he was thinking about it at times that could have hurt. And if you think that any human being goes through his job without thinking about something else occasionally, you simply don't know about the human mind.

Your idea of common sense is guessing with no basis.

If you hate Peters, you're likely to read it that way. If you come at it neutrally, it simply doesn't give you any basis for saying that "Peters admitted..." which is what these guys have said. None.

How long did he think about his contract? Did it say that? Could it not have been for three seconds after the play? Or less. There is no reason whatsoever to think that he was thinking about it at times that could have hurt.
You didn't see him play if you think that. There were times he may as well have said Ole like a bullfighter when allowing sacks. He either didn't try or else he's just an awful player...considering he actually EARNED the Pro Bowl in 2007, I and many feel he just didn't try. Maybe you think he just sucks as a player
And if you think that any human being goes through his job without thinking about something else occasionally, you simply don't know about the human mind.

There's plenty of times that I think about other things at work...but you'd be an idiot to think about anything but the job at hand during a high pressure time...could end up getting hurt...which is what happened thanks to Peters

We have to billieve that the coaches know what they are doing in moving a RT to LT...and that they were no other options available to solidify the OL in order to get to the playoffs. I mean...that is what good coaches do right?...and these coaches have shown us that they are good coaches - right?

There is no Peters fan club on here.

:thumbdown:

So says the guy who jumps into every thread to defend a guy who, in not even 13 full games, gave up 11.5-12 sacks (depends on whether you read STATS or KC Joyner), committed 8 penalties, and who in his PC with his new team admitted that his contract affected his play and led him to not care if he messed-up because he wasn't being paid enough, and gave-up "hustle sacks." Yes Thurm, you're NOT a Peters lover.

BTW, I did a search and found that Hugh Douglas, who does a lot of things for the Eagles' organization, talked to several players who have played against Peters and they said he was "soft and overrated." I guess we'll find out this year...whenever Peters gets on the field.

:worthy:

So says the guy who jumps into every thread to defend a guy who, in not even 13 full games, gave up 11.5-12 sacks (depends on whether you read STATS or KC Joyner), committed 8 penalties, and who in his PC with his new team admitted that his contract affected his play and led him to not care if he messed-up because he wasn't being paid enough, and gave-up "hustle sacks." Yes Thurm, you're NOT a Peters lover.

BTW, I did a search and found that Hugh Douglas, who does a lot of things for the Eagles' organization, talked to several players who have played against Peters and they said he was "soft and overrated." I guess we'll find out this year...whenever Peters gets on the field.

link?

Question: Didn't the Bills try to resign Greer before he hit free agency?

Answer: Yep.

Linky

I guess Capt. Caveman did not get the memo. The Bills wanted to keep Greer.

Where did I mention Greer? They didn't think he was worth the $ he was asking for. But Thurman isn't attacking Ralph's spending.

How long did he think about his contract? Did it say that? Could it not have been for three seconds after the play? Or less. There is no reason whatsoever to think that he was thinking about it at times that could have hurt. And if you think that any human being goes through his job without thinking about something else occasionally, you simply don't know about the human mind.

Your idea of common sense is guessing with no basis.

If you hate Peters, you're likely to read it that way. If you come at it neutrally, it simply doesn't give you any basis for saying that "Peters admitted..." which is what these guys have said. None.

Just go to Philly and :worthy: him and get it over with.

The Bills are definitely high on Bell. But now I'm starting to think they'll handle him like they did Peters and have him play at RT first. Frankly I'd be much more comfortable with him at RT, Butler at RG, Hangartner at C, Wood at LG, and Walker at LT.

Bell's strength is supposed to be agility. He only did 9 reps with 225 at the combines. Unless he got a lot stronger, he would seem very ill suited for RT.

Or Langston knows the move isn't a good fit, as Leo and Sal (and the poster before me, although I can do without the "you morons" talk) pointed out.

It's incredible to me that the insiders know this is a terrible move. LW is a poor fit at LT, and he knows that if he doesn't succeed, he's going to be excoriated and run out of town. He'll be pilloried here mercilessly.

Gee, why doesn't he feel happy? He's not getting any more money and he's going to be beaten like a rented mule all season long.

It's incredible to me that the insiders know this is a terrible move. LW is a poor fit at LT, and he knows that if he doesn't succeed, he's going to be excoriated and run out of town. He'll be pilloried here mercilessly.

Gee, why doesn't he feel happy? He's not getting any more money and he's going to be beaten like a rented mule all season long.

Who cares if he is happy as long as he can play LT better than any other available player or draft pick. There are plenty of people who are not jumping up and down on their way to work, but get the job done once they get there. If LW can't do the job, then the Bills better have plan B ready.

He's going to be "pilloried here mercilessly?" Nope. I think it's safe to say that most of us (here and on the other MB's as well) realize it's not the ideal move for him and that he's doing it for the team. Maybe your average Bills fan will boo him at games or slam him on call-in shows, but anyone who knows anything realizes the deal.

This is, like, the fifth time that people have made this claim, that Peters said he didn't give full effort. It's simply wrong. I don't know how else to put it. Now, you might be wrong just because you heard it on the boards that he said that. And if so, fine, misunderstandings happen. But if you can look at the actual transcript, and tell me that Peters said he didn't give full effort, than you're a liar. He never said that.

Each time people make this claim, I ask for a link. The only one anyone has sent me is the one where Peters is quoted as saying “I was thinking about it sometimes," he said. "If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract. It doesn’t affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year but later on in the year it wasn’t a big deal.”

Nowhere in there does he say he didn't give full effort. Nowhere. What it seems to say is that when he got beat, he occasionally thought about his contract. Of course. Stuff pops into my head at work, too. But he never indicates for an instant that he didn't give 100%.

So let me ask you again, CAN YOU PRODUCE A PETERS QUOTATION WHERE HE SAYS HE GAVE LESS THAN 100%? If you can't, then quit making the claim.

I'm waiting.

Have I heard of a quad spasm? Of course. It's a tiny little spasm of the quad muscle. It should be over in a few days.

Have I heard of it as a reason to put a guy on the PUP list? Nope. But the Eagles put seven guys on the PUP list at the same time, including Asante Samuels. Clearly, they want to bring in seven guy who they couldn't fit on the roster and give them a two or three day shot in a live-fire setting. They probably figure they can come up with maybe one gem. It's a pretty good idea.

Show us where he said he gave 100%. I read the quote by him ...........................He never said anything to that effect.

How long did he think about his contract? Did it say that? Could it not have been for three seconds after the play? Or less. There is no reason whatsoever to think that he was thinking about it at times that could have hurt.

You didn't see him play if you think that. There were times he may as well have said Ole like a bullfighter when allowing sacks. He either didn't try or else he's just an awful player...considering he actually EARNED the Pro Bowl in 2007, I and many feel he just didn't try. Maybe you think he just sucks as a player

Phil, I respect you and your posts. I know from watching what goes on on these boards that you are a bright guy and a thoughtful one.

But, if you really think that you absolutely know from watching him play what he was thinking ... and that the many reasonable people who also watched him play and yet disagree with you are simply wrong (you say "you didn't see him play if you think that"), then I don't know what to say to you.

I did watch him play. I don't agree with you. I think you're wrong. Many many people agree with me. Certainly many people also agree with you. But almost every time it is used, the "you didn't watch him/them play if you think ..." argument is wrong.

It seemed to me that there were a million possible reasons for what went wrong, most of which were variations on what happens if you are working together in a group like an o-line which requires extensive secret in-group communication, huge amounts of experience together and an almost telepathic rapport, and yet you miss the time when most of the bonding, the experience and the rapport are created, that is, training camp.

It looked pretty plain to me that he was trying his guts out but not doing a very good job, but that as the bonding, the experience and the rapport came together as they played together, and as he got back into football shape, he got into the same neighborhood he is capable of, though I would say that it looked to me that he was never more than about 80% of a Jason Peters who had been to training camp. Which put him above about 80% of the starting LTs in football.

It seems to me that it's pretty obvious that he was trying his guts out. Look at his run-blocking record last year (footballoutsiders.com). He was sensational. It was at pass-blocking that he had problems and it is indeed at pass-blocking that inter-line communication is a huge factor. I don't think it is necessary to think that he didn't try hard. Under the circumstances, he was simply unable to do his normal terrific work, but things improved as the year went along.

And if you think that any human being goes through his job without thinking about something else occasionally, you simply don't know about the human mind.

There's plenty of times that I think about other things at work...but you'd be an idiot to think about anything but the job at hand during a high pressure time...could end up getting hurt...which is what happened thanks to Peters

People spend years training mentally, physically and spiritually to try to be able to think about absolutely nothing but "the job" during pressure situations. They fail. It's certainly possible in short bursts, but in football-like situations where you face 70 or 80 important situations followed by down-time which isn't crucial as you trot back to the huddle, it just isn't realistic to think that anybody could concentrate so completely that they never notice the cheerleaders, the crowd, the trash talking, and those are only the most immediate of the other things that circumstances and your mind throw at you.

It's just not reasonable, Philster. A high-level zen monk couldn't do it perfectly, and you're kidding yourself if you think so.

Why don't you just go away? You are so annoying!

I have been here a LONG time & will not be driven away by a 7th Grader that just got his 1st very own computer. You should go away & study english so when you finally graduate from H.S. you can get into college.

:wallbash:

Yeah, I did. And apparently you don't understand my motives. It all seems so simple to you, doesn't it? Think whatever you want. I've made it clear that I don't really care how Peters does now that he's not a Bill. But that it seems pretty obvious to me that he's going to be a massive long-term success, and that the Bills haven't filled the space he left. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I've finished talking about this.

It's obvious to me that you have an extensive hatred of Peters, a reservoir of which must surely poison you from the inside. What would cause a guy to spend as much time on here as you do spewing bile about a guy he's never talked to? It's obvious that he causes you psychic pain in some way. I have therefore decided that you are a member of a club, a club which has as it's main purpose hatred of Jason Peters. Logical, isn't it?

A perfect example of your willingness to say absolutely anything is your further use of that 11.5 to 12 stats thing, knowing that it is a complete guess. You know that Joyner said that 5 of the sacks were coverage sacks, yet you didn't mention that, somehow, did you? You know that both of them were guessing, doing their best without any knowledge of the blocking schemes being used. You know that the only reason that you use these stats isn't a belief that they are right. It is that you hate Peters so deeply that you must wake up in the morning drooling and with a picture of Peters in front of your eyes, and you will say absolutely anything to denigrate him, logical or not, reasonable or not. It's kind of pitiful.

If you are still willing to say that Peters SAID "his contract affected his play and led him to not care if he messed-up because he wasn't being paid enough, and gave-up 'hustle sacks.'" then you'll say absolutely anything. PETERS NEVER SAID THAT. This would put your paraphrasing skills at a 4 year-old level, and I don't believe that, so it must be that hatred has warped you quite severely. Reasonable folks reading this understand that he never said anything like that. They understand that when they hear you say stuff like that, that it's hatred talking.

No. No. Say it ain't so, Hugh Douglas. You mean an NFL player was denigrated by another player? Surely not. Does this ever happen? It's a first, isn't it? Gosh, I'm so shocked to find that some players don't like other players or say bad things about them. Shocked.

So you think we should have offered him the biggest contract ever for a DB? Cause that's what he wanted and got. And look how great he's been since.

No, he didn't. That's a myth. Clements was able to brag about recieving an 8 year $80 million contract but if you look at the details, he didn't even come close to that.

In the last two years of his contract, he will recieve $36.5 million of the $80 million. Think he's going to be on the team for that? That contract is actually a 6 year $43.5 million contract. And yes, I do think we should have given him that contract. H was easily worth it.

Yeah, he's sucked in S.F. Might be because the defensive line gets about as much pressure on the QB as our line did last year. Watch Nate rejuvenate his career now that they have Singletary putting an effective defense together. CBs are highly dependent on the other members of the defense doing their job, as I'm sure you know.

Show us where he said he gave 100%. I read the quote by him ...........................He never said anything to that effect.

Here's what I said, "But he never indicates for an instant that he didn't give 100%." I don't need to produce a quote saying that he gave 100% to prove that. All I have to do is prove that there is no quote saying he didn't try hard. And there isn't.

I wouldn't even have bothered talking about this if there weren't people on here saying that Peters admitted that he dogged it. He has never admitted such a thing. But the haters still keep on saying it. And I keep being the voice of reason.

Here's what I said, "But he never indicates for an instant that he didn't give 100%." I don't need to produce a quote saying that he gave 100% to prove that. All I have to do is prove that there is no quote saying he didn't try hard. And there isn't.

I wouldn't even have bothered talking about this if there weren't people on here saying that Peters admitted that he dogged it. He has never admitted such a thing. But the haters still keep on saying it. And I keep being the voice of reason.

"Andrews isn’t the lone question mark on this new unit. Only in the twisted math of the Eagles do 11 sacks allowed by Peters last season compute to an upgrade over the two sacks permitted by Thomas.

"Peters explained that his contract dispute in Buffalo affected his performance. Now that’s the kind of committed professional you want protecting the blind side of Donovan McNabb."

link

Yes, Stupid Lazy FatBoy already has a Fan Club in Philly! :wallbash:

Who cares if he is happy as long as he can play LT better than any other available player or draft pick. There are plenty of people who are not jumping up and down on their way to work, but get the job done once they get there. If LW can't do the job, then the Bills better have plan B ready.

In all seriousness, what could possibly Plan B? If Walker struggles (and that's an "if" at this point) there is no other capable OT on the roster to handle the position.

Bell being able to protect Edwards' blindside is a pipe dream for this season. Chambers didn't play LT when Peters held out. Butler has had injury concerns each of the two seasons he's started at G.

There is no Plan B, unless of course they find a diamond in the rough among the street FA's. And there aren't many decent OT's acquired through UDFA or SFA.

Who said the quote you quoted? I think what Peters said is open to interpretation. Based on his play last year, he either did not give 100% or was out of shape from the hold out. I was a fan of Peters & wanted the Bills to resign him so I am not a hater. For better or worse he is no longer a Bill.

In the last two years of his contract, he will recieve $36.5 million of the $80 million. Think he's going to be on the team for that? That contract is actually a 6 year $43.5 million contract.

I agree with you here.

And yes, I do think we should have given him that contract. H was easily worth it.

But definitely not here.

"Andrews isn’t the lone question mark on this new unit. Only in the twisted math of the Eagles do 11 sacks allowed by Peters last season compute to an upgrade over the two sacks permitted by Thomas.

"Peters explained that his contract dispute in Buffalo affected his performance. Now that’s the kind of committed professional you want protecting the blind side of Donovan McNabb."

link

Yes, Stupid Lazy FatBoy already has a Fan Club in Philly! :wallbash:

Curious, Senator, are you the kind of guy that's still mad at your kindergarten teacher for making you sit out of play time too?

Let it go dude.

Curious, Senator, are you the kind of guy that's still mad at your kindergarten teacher for making you sit out of play time too?

link? :wallbash:

Let it go dude.

I'll be happy to - just as soon as Thurman#1 stops trying to rebut - sequentially - each and every single freaking post that seems even slightly critical of FatBoy Peters sub-par performance and stupid, lazy, selfish attitude. :lol:

No. No. Say it ain't so, Hugh Douglas. You mean an NFL player was denigrated by another player? Surely not. Does this ever happen? It's a first, isn't it? Gosh, I'm so shocked to find that some players don't like other players or say bad things about them. Shocked.

I cut out the other stuff in your post because, looking at some old posts from before I got here, it's been hashed and re-hashed to death. Regarding the above, Douglas played for the Eagles and worked with them for some time. He's an on-air personality now. He's got more reason to be a homer than purely impartial, and he's definitely not a hater. So his saying that he talked to opponents of Peters and revealing what they said about him being soft and overrated is noteworthy.

• 1 month later...
One could also look at it that the front office is setting him up to fail so they have a good excuse to cut his bloated contract next year. Asking a guy that has been in the NFL 8 years to elevate his game and step in at the toughest position on the OL after a rather pedestrian career to date is nothing short of a major gamble. There is a non-zero chance that Walker isn't cut out to be an elite LT, which will give the Bills a ready reason to go after someone else next off-season and toss Walker and his contract on the scrap heap. It's not like the writing isn't 10 foot high on the wall either after this past off-season.

Well, I guess it didn't take as long as I thought way back then. :thumbdown: