Orakpo signs!

Stupid Crabtree wanting more money, "top 3" is last I heard. Thats ridiculous. You just won the proverbial lottery, kid. You don't need to stress over how many millions you need guaranteed.

Rookie contracts HAVE to get addressed in the new CBA. It's an absolute must, this is completely out of control and puts too many teams at way too high a risk for financial and overall failure. Matt Stafford gets $40 million and hasn't taken a snap yet.

There needs to be some sort of rookie maximum worked out cart-blanche. 1st rounders can only make X dollars, max, while 2nd rounders make a percentage of that, and so on. It's time unproven football players earn their money.

Stupid Crabtree wanting more money, "top 3" is last I heard. Thats ridiculous. You just won the proverbial lottery, kid. You don't need to stress over how many millions you need guaranteed.

Rookie contracts HAVE to get addressed in the new CBA. It's an absolute must, this is completely out of control and puts too many teams at way too high a risk for financial and overall failure. Matt Stafford gets $40 million and hasn't taken a snap yet.

There needs to be some sort of rookie maximum worked out cart-blanche. 1st rounders can only make X dollars, max, while 2nd rounders make a percentage of that, and so on. It's time unproven football players earn their money.

It's my understanding that current players aren't happy either. Less $ for them.

B'gals beat writer Geoff Hobson, writing on the B'gal official site 7/30/09:

...Some signs could point to an Andre Smith signing, such as the player drafted right behind Smith at No. 7, Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, agreeing to a deal Thursday. And the fact that Smith's agent, Alvin Keels, broke the deal on his Twitter account (according to ProFootballTalk.com).

...The numbers are also very rich at a five-year base of $38.250 million, $23.5 million of it guaranteed and $54 million max, also according to PFT. With Smith now sandwiched around deals that ballooned over last year by more than 50 percent (Mark Sanchez at No. 5) and Heyward-Bay's 20 percent, there are at least some numbers out there. "...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/chec...bd-c5eebd00a1a1

Rookie pay scale needed desperately. The situation is nuts.

I'd like to see them all get three year contracts something along these lines:

Picks 1-10 get $2 million each year ($1m of which is guaranteed)

Picks 11 - 20 get $1.5 million each year ($800k of which is guaranteed)

Picks 21 - 32 get $1 million each year ($500k of which is guaranteed)

Signing bonuses start at $2 million for pick #1 and go down by $50k per player with a minimum of $200k for the lower picks.

Round 2 - start at $900k and work down.

No farking rookie is worth more than that in the overall scheme of things.

Say yes to more, say goodbye to your favorite team.

I think the system is screwed up, but I don't blame the individual players. I mean, if you could make hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars by not showing up to work, wouldn't you do it? Especially in a league where there's no guaranteed contracts and every play could be your last, you've gotta get every dollar while you can.

An easy system to implement would be one similar to the Franchise tag. A player at any position gets a certain percentage of the average salary of the starters from the 32 teams. The percentage would be higher for higher drafted players than the percentage for later round picks, while reaching incentives could give a player a higher percentage. Contract length should then be limited, to a min and max, which would change per round. All bases are then covered, QBs could make more than Gs, high pics make the most money, rookies aren't locked into long term deals at their rookie rate, or have their contract expire too soon and search for big money. I cant see how any current player would be against this... it would free up more money for Vets.

In some ways you think the players' union would push for rookie salary caps since the players' union is composed of current veteran players. But the players' union realizes that high first round salaries push up salaries overall in the long run, even with a salary cap. The teams are basically FORCED to pay high amounts for first round picks because they are depending on this talent as a major talent infusion for their teams and the longer the first round picks miss TC the less they can contribute their first year. So desperate teams pay big money and this raises the overall salary structure for veterans as well.

Anyway, the owners are going to have to give the union big concessions for the union to agree to some highly restrictive rookie salary caps.

Signing bonuses start at $2 million for pick #1 and go down by $50k per player with a minimum of $200k for the lower picks.

Yea right...

Does the NFL have restricted free agents like the NHL does? I'm not that familiar with the NFL system, but as a team I would want to know I have the first option after those 3 years to sign a guy to a longer contract.

13th pick and basically the same position. Maybins coming soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...agree-to-terms/

It should be good news. Unless Maybin's agent waits until the number 10 and number 12 picks are signed first. I'm not sure the same postition is the only or even the biggest comparison factor these agents and owners use for this absolutely stupid system. I really think the "slotting" is all about what the players just before, just after, and exactly the same from last year's draft get paid. :censored::thumbdown: