(OT) My sons game last night is still bugging me.

ICE

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya done good ICE.,.....At least young Shaq has a mom who knows what the heck is going on...If the Dad saw a video of himself being an idiot, perhaps he might rethink his actions... Will this Dad be a problem during the upcoming hoops season ??

Helping the young QB is also great...

After refereeing a youth soccer match, I try to give a pointer or two to some of the players...one of the 'coaches' (parents who got 'volunteered') asked me to help them with their practice.....

And "they" say we (white folk) are racist? This is what gets my shorts in a bunch. Lets just say the situation in the stands was turned around and you (white guy) were yelling about the quarterback being black, saying get the dumb black qb out of there, there aren't any smart black qb's in any league anywhere....... and so on. You probably would have had EVERY member of the ACLU on your doorstep that night. There's a double standard here and it's disgusting. A parent like that should be banned from attending any games, or at least unable to watch the games from the stands where other parents and family are trying to enjoy seeing their son or daughter play a sport. This is totally disgusting and should be addressed by the other parents, coaches and faculty of the school. I feel sorry for that poor kid having to grow up with someone like that pretending to be a role model for him. This is going to sound racist but I swear it isn't but no wonder why there are so many young black men and women in this country struggling. They are being taught by their elders that whitey is no good while all the white kids are being taught that black kids are the same. Some things just don't add up but "they" will always say that it's the white people fault, not the blacks.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  racists and reversed racists

109218[/snapback]

Pretty much what Bill Cosby said earlier this year. For which he got raked over the coals by fellow blacks. Sometimes the truth hurts. :flirt:

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I know I get tempermental but Damn these are kids. Yeah you need to be in their asses, but at this stage encouragement and teaching are going to pay off better. I have been dissapointed in my son at times, but I won't yell at him esp in front of other people.

I don't know why but this whole thing from top to bottom is still really bothering me. I'd be lying if I said the race comments weren't part of it.

Pretty much what Bill Cosby said earlier this year. For which he got raked over the coals by fellow blacks. Sometimes the truth hurts. :flirt:

109501[/snapback]

Well maybe that is why he and his wife are educated and rich now? They dumped that way of thinking? Hummmm.... I still don't get after all of the work to get equality that now blacks feel the need to 'pay back'? Esp when it was their great grandfathers, Grandfathers and maybe their fathers that paid the price?

Racism is stupid all the way around.

Youth sports can be anything but fun.

I coached (asst.) my sons football team. They were 10-0 for the season with two TD scored against them all year. The next to last playoff game we have somebody in the stands yelling at the HC because of play calling. Come to find out it wasn't even a parent of one of the kids on the team. This is the same HC who buys pizza for 34 kids once a week for 12 weeks out of his own pocket and is going to buy them each jackets for winning the Superbowl( also out of his own pocket). Some people have no idea of the time and effort coaches put in to help these kids become not just better ball players but hopefully better people.

These are the same people who get pissed when you can't find enough people to volunteer to coach or help out with youth sporting organization. Ask them if they would like to help out and they are to busy. Like we all have so much free time that it's not a problem to coach from Aug 1 thru Oct. 31.

:( People take team sports WAY too serious. You never hear a guy getting pissed and shooting some Shot putter for not placing 1st. Yeah a lame attempt to be funny while proving a point :lol:

People take this stevestojan way too seriously. Believe it or not I do NOT push my kids to be athletes. That is/ was MY path. (side note I even made all state BAND for Gods sake!) I let them choose. I love them no matter what. In fact my boy and I are going to have a heart to heart about the situation. I can tell he isn't happy with it at all.

Youth sports in general is insane...my son's a pretty good athlete, he plays baseball, football and basketball.  I've seen and heard it all, parents ripping on kids (thier own and other kids) and coaches, the politics of coaching, the insane drive of coaches, the pressure put on kids as young as 9 or 10 years old, it's just nuts...I can't wait until he hits high school. :lol:

109223[/snapback]

You forgot the officiating... I officiated JV football games, and parents would rip officials just as much (or more) than the kids. Funny part was 95% of the time they were quoting NFL rules which are completely different from high school rules. You learn to tune that out really quickly. My wife went to watch a few of my games and she was getting pissed at some of the parents who were critisizing my calls. I never even heard the parents say anything, even though they're right on the sidelines (standing or sitting on the grass).

Fun stuff...

CW

Ice.

Citizen.

Soldier.

Pole Tosser.

Band Camp Chairman.

Diplomat.

Educator and Savior to Oklahoma's Black Population.

Megalomaniac

Manic Depressive

Feel the Power!

Reading this post right in the middle of a few people discussing kids sports and a personal situation with one of our fellow wallers reminded me of something my wise father taught me.

Before making a statement, ask yourself:

1. Is it true?

2. Is it necessary?

3. Is it hurtful?

Why CDWD, did you feel the need to cut into the middle of a conversation with this post? Isn't this exactly what so many on this board are trying to avoid?

:lol:

:( People take team sports WAY too serious. You never hear a guy getting pissed and shooting some Shot putter for not placing 1st.  Yeah a lame attempt to be funny while proving a point  :lol:

People take this stevestojan way too seriously.  Believe it or not I do NOT push my kids to be athletes. That is/ was MY path. (side note I even made all state BAND for Gods sake!)  I let them choose. I love them no matter what. In fact my boy and I are going to have a heart to heart about the situation. I can tell he isn't happy with it at all.

109609[/snapback]

I coached my son in Little League for three years, both inner city and suburbs. There was a manager and two coaches one year. Each of us had a kid on the team. Rule #1 was that you did not coach your OWN son during the game, especially at the plate. :D Took pressure off the kid and they were less likely to argue with another adult.

I spoke to parents about ragging on their kids and was threatened more than once with bodily harm! :( Another time I had to go out to the pitchers mound and walk a parent off the field. He interrupted the game to advise our pitcher - who was not even his kid! :lol:

When my son turned 12 he said he really did not want to play anymore. I know part of the reasaon was peer pressure. I said "OK". Hell, I would have loved it if he was a sports nut but that was MY love, not his. He does other stuff and I could not be prouder. The last thing a 12 year old needs is that kind of pressure ON A GAME!!! He is 27 now and a fine man! :D

The sort of it is - as you said ICE, "People take this stevestojan way too seriously."

Ok, if we can't "kill" Whitey, can we at least maim whitey?

109699[/snapback]

stevestojan, you are too funny. What movie is the "Kill Whitey" quote from? I've seen it but just can't picture it.

Anybody want to bet me a week's pay that Shaquille's father isn't riding him that hard when he's doing his algebra homework? Or writing an essay for a good chunk of his English grade? That's the true tragedy of youth sports, especially in our schools. These kids don't realize there is about a ten million times greater chance that they'll earn their living writing, calculating, analyzing, or building things than earning a living throwing, kicking, or catching a ball. You SHOULD get that from your father ... A week's pay says this poor Shaquille kid isn't. Sad ...

Guest Guest Nervous Boy
...my son's a pretty good athlete, he plays baseball, football and basketball....

109223[/snapback]

Damn Right!

There'd better be some new video games under the tree this Christmas!

Anybody want to bet me a week's pay that Shaquille's father isn't riding him that hard when he's doing his algebra homework? Or writing an essay for a good chunk of his English grade? That's the true tragedy of youth sports, especially in our schools. These kids don't realize there is about a ten million times greater chance that they'll earn their living writing, calculating, analyzing, or building things than earning a living throwing, kicking, or catching a ball. You SHOULD get that from your father ... A week's pay says this poor Shaquille kid isn't. Sad ...

109740[/snapback]

I wouldn't take that bet for nothin!