2nd rounders should be in camp

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2009/04/20...ing-status.html

so picks 41 and 43 have signed.... where is Byrd?

what could take so long after the surrounding picks have signed?

picks 52 and 53 have signed and we NEED our two O Line picks in camp real bad...

how hard is it to get Levitre signed?

is the FO taking the weekend off?

maybe they called in sick?

these guys should be in camp today....

someones being lazy

Brandon has said that Overdorf is in contact with all unsigned picks and working hard to get them into camp. If the situation with Wood, Levitre, and Byrd goes one more week, then I'd be worried. My guess is within the next 5 days all of them will be in camp.

I normally don't care for the front office and concept of not firing people who have been part and parcel of the past 9 years of futility. But in this case, the team is in a unique position by starting camp early. Either way, Brandon will never let on what's really going on, so his words are simply rhetoric.

Brandon has said that Overdorf is in contact with all unsigned picks and working hard to get them into camp. If the situation with Wood, Levitre, and Byrd goes one more week, then I'd be worried. My guess is within the next 5 days all of them will be in camp.

I normally don't care for the front office and concept of not firing people who have been part and parcel of the past 9 years of futility. But in this case, the team is in a unique position by starting camp early. Either way, Brandon will never let on what's really going on, so his words are simply rhetoric.

I think all posters here need to take note of BillsVet's post. Perhaps no one here has been more critical of the FO this offseason, often with good reasoning. If he's not blaming the FO yet, none should.

I very much agree. There's much more to this than just the FO. The players have agents that can slow things down considerably for any number of reasons. I fully expect to see everyone signed at some point over the next few days. If not, then...

My question though... why do things like this always seem to come down to the last minute? Are the teams and agents nothing but procrastinators? Is it really that complicated that it takes 4 months to get worked out? Just seems that if everyone started working to sign the rookies the day after the draft, it seems like it should be worked out by now.

I think all posters here need to take note of BillsVet's post. Perhaps no one here has been more critical of the FO this offseason, often with good reasoning. If he's not blaming the FO yet, none should.

I very much agree. There's much more to this than just the FO. The players have agents that can slow things down considerably for any number of reasons. I fully expect to see everyone signed at some point over the next few days. If not, then...

My question though... why do things like this always seem to come down to the last minute? Are the teams and agents nothing but procrastinators? Is it really that complicated that it takes 4 months to get worked out? Just seems that if everyone started working to sign the rookies the day after the draft, it seems like it should be worked out by now.

They take their sundays seriously. All work no play...

The Hall of Fame game is not worth the trouble which it gives teams who are picked to attend. Teams are limited in number of preseason sessions and need to move camp earlier to accommodate results in rookies drafted getting less sessions than they would have without the game.

An excellent question. I am no expert, but my understanding from years of observation is that thanks to various legal commitments there is little interest in having someone under contract before camp begins. No one wants to pay a signing bonus until one has to, after all. The first pick is always different, but in general, the situation leads to last-minute decisions, which means that the smallest disagreement can lead to a hold out. That is annoying for fans, but it has been the pattern for at least the last decade, so I would not expect it to change.

I agree that we should have these guys signed by now, but let's not forget that it's not only the FO decision to make, there's a second party they have to deal with: the agents who try to get the most out of that first contract

If the pick has been bracketed by two signed picks,

really what is the issue?

does Byrd have anything to gain by holding out for an extra 10 grand in signing bonus?

there is so little wiggle room when the pick ahead and behind have signed, what is the deal?

I cannot believe that the FO takes Sundays off, I'm sure even god had a couple little things to take care of on his 7th day

An excellent question. I am no expert, but my understanding from years of observation is that thanks to various legal commitments there is little interest in having someone under contract before camp begins. No one wants to pay a signing bonus until one has to, after all. The first pick is always different, but in general, the situation leads to last-minute decisions, which means that the smallest disagreement can lead to a hold out. That is annoying for fans, but it has been the pattern for at least the last decade, so I would not expect it to change.

Excellent observation; I had not considered that but I would think it is the crux of the matter right there

Good points. Upon thinking about it, maybe its an "insurance policy" against some freak accident over the summer as well.

If the pick has been bracketed by two signed picks,

really what is the issue?

does Byrd have anything to gain by holding out for an extra 10 grand in signing bonus?

there is so little wiggle room when the pick ahead and behind have signed, what is the deal?

I cannot believe that the FO takes Sundays off, I'm sure even god had a couple little things to take care of on his 7th day

Does Byrd have any chance at contributing this year now is my question. Hearing allot of talk about them expecting him to challenge for starting free saftey position. He missed all of the OTA's due to graduation date, now holding out of camp first few days. If anyone needed every day to get up to speed it was him. Safety's have allot of responsibilities on defense, and is a very mental position. If he misses much more than a few days, have a tough time see him getting off special teams duty this year, besides challenging for starting spot.

Does Byrd have any chance at contributing this year now is my question. Hearing allot of talk about them expecting him to challenge for starting free saftey position. He missed all of the OTA's due to graduation date, now holding out of camp first few days. If anyone needed every day to get up to speed it was him. Safety's have allot of responsibilities on defense, and is a very mental position. If he misses much more than a few days, have a tough time see him getting off special teams duty this year, besides challenging for starting spot.

plus he has never played safety before he was a too-slow-for-nfl corner we drafted in the second round with hopes of "converting" him. He needs all the training and help he can get he is learning a brand new situation.

And with all the talk about Donte perhaps losing his starting role to Byrd, my thought is Donte ain't gonna be the one helping him with that learning curve.

My idea is that he won't be starting for the first half of the season, then maybe he supplants Donte if he truly is the "playmaker" that DJ and Perry would have us believe he is.

Good points. Upon thinking about it, maybe its an "insurance policy" against some freak accident over the summer as well.

I have thought that might be the case too. Either way, this "just in time" system creates drama every year, and not just for the Bills.

I agree that we should have these guys signed by now, but let's not forget that it's not only the FO decision to make, there's a second party they have to deal with: the agents who try to get the most out of that first contract

Amazing how many do not get this.