Vick suspended for 4 games.

nucci

sounds okay..vick 37 games and Lynch is on his second infraction and is getting the appropriate punishment.

as stated before, the suspension was not for 37 games. He was in jail. Even if he was not suspended, he would have missed the same amount of games.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds okay..vick 37 games and Lynch is on his second infraction and is getting the appropriate punishment.

Actually Lynch isn't getting the appropriate punishment. A moving violation and a first-time gun offense are hardly worth 3 games, or even 1, since it's not a repeat offense and no one was even close to being injured by the gun.

As for the NFL "suspending" Vick while he was incarcerated, that's a joke. It's like the Giants "suspending" Burress for the last 4 games of last season, while he was injured from his self-inflicted gunshot.

And on the way to work I was listening to ESPN radio and during SportsCenter the Duke mentioned that the suspension was expected to be for 4 games. So either it is, or no one told them over on the radio side of things. But with the firestorm created by this, I don't doubt Goodell will change his mind and make it longer. But hey, I'm a conspiracy theory nutjob.

I don't know how many different ways people can say he was serving his suspension concurrently with his prison term until some get it. The four extra games is fine. He has paid his debt to society, whether people feel the sentence was just or not. Now, it is up to some NFL team to be willing to take the risk on him. Personally, he is best suited for the UFL. Let that league go through putting up with the protests from PETA. It would probably be good for the UFL to gain some notoriety, no matter if it's good or bad.

I don't know how many different ways people can say he was serving his suspension concurrently with his prison term until some get it. The four extra games is fine. He has paid his debt to society, whether people feel the sentence was just or not. Now, it is up to some NFL team to be willing to take the risk on him. Personally, he is best suited for the UFL. Let that league go through putting up with the protests from PETA. It would probably be good for the UFL to gain some notoriety, no matter if it's good or bad.

I don't know how many different ways people can point out that a suspension given to someone already incarcerated, is meaningless. If they didn't suspend him for the last two years, what would be the difference? He has yet to show he can operate within the law, as a free man.

The UFL may not be a bad idea for Mike. Get back into football shape, show the NFL he is a changed man...all that. I certainly wouldn't employ a soulless/heartless sub-human...but, hey that's me.

I think a lot you of you guys are just friggen stupid. Yes I said it, stupid. I'm not questioning your academic minds, for many of you are a lot smarter than me book wise, but common sense wise and being open minded, I don't know about some of you. The facts are Vick was already suspended indefinitely when the allegations started to become facts. This is the 2nd suspension Goodell has given him. Vick will be suspended twice for the same thing. So Vick has not received a NFL pay check in over 2 yrs because the indefinite suspension has lasted until now. I think Goodell is doing this to please the rabid fans like yourselves who want more blood to shed. :rolleyes: Vick has already been destroyed, punished and embarrassed beyond belief. (Although it is well deserved) Just kick a man while when is down, what else do you people want to do to this man? Let him and the rest of the world move on. I think he has learned his lesson, don’t you? :thumbsup:

He and Lynch get the same league punishment?

That's just bull sh--.

That's how f-ed up this whole thing is. You get a guy who has a gun in his trunk, receives probation from the court system, and gets suspended 3 games. Then you have another guy who gets convicted of not only prepetuating a dog-fighting ring, but doing it between state lines (making it a federal and state matter), goes to jail for almost a year, and then gets suspended for 4 games!? Come on. I hope whatever team is dumb enough to sign him fails miserably this year and has to deal with massive distracting protests.

I think a lot you of you guys are just friggen stupid. Yes I said it, stupid. I'm not questioning your academic minds, for many of you are a lot smarter than me book wise

Thanks for that concession. It means so much coming from someone like you.

The headline of the unsubstantiated, un-confirmed story says "Vick to Get 4 Game Suspension and able to atttend training camp." I love the media today. Why wait until the commissioner himself tells us that was the result, when you can report information that may or may not be true right away?

If this crap is true, then Commissioner Goodell is an idiot. Here he had the perfect opportunity to make a stand against the criminal fringe seaping its' way into the billion dollar NFL. "Sorry folks, Michael served time in prison and is a convicted felon, the NFL has no place for him any longer."

I love the media. Back when they were piling on Vick like starved scavangers, he was a monster. He was a parriah. He was total scum. How horrific was his sick repulsive dog fighting ring that he was absolutely running from a distance. Now all of a sudden, just because his jail sentence is over, he is completely "rehabilitated." "He has served his time - he has paid his debt to society, and deserves to play in the NFL again." Why? So they can have his story to report 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Back here in the real world, we all know Vick could still care less about dogs. We all know he will never own a dog himself, or ever do anything for animal rights or the SPCA if it is not ordered by his PR staff - his well paid PR staff. And please stop talking about him "losing his fortune." If he was penniless, where did the money come from to pick him up in a black 2009 luxury SUV, complete with a possee of $500.00 suit wearing "assistants," who drove him into a gorgeous home with a pool in a very upscale looking neighborhood? How does that make any sense? How is he flying around the country for these secret meetings with the Players Union and Goodell if he has "lost his fortune."??? Look at it this way, if he spent $130 Million of his $145 Million dollars to pay for this ordeal, that still leaves him with $15 Million to scrape by.

Oh wait, he has filed for bankruptcy, I forgot about that one. OK, well even when you file for bankruptcy, you are allowed to keep one residence. If that one residence happens to be a million dollar home - you still get to live in it, as long as you can make the tax payments, because it was most likely paid for in cash when you bought it. And even if he really doesn't even have a penny to spend anymore, I'm sure there are plenty of PR companies and agents and marketing scum with no morals who are financing him right this very minute into a lifestyle most of us out here will never live, while they wait for Vick to get back into the NFL, or the UFL, or the speaking circuit, or his movie to be made, or his book to be written.

So again I come back to this: Goodell could draw the line at serviing time in prison for lifetime suspensions. This was his chance to force other criminal fringe type athletes to make better choices based on fear of losing their rights to re-enter the NFL. If this 4 game suspension rumor is true, then Goodell will only have himself to blame when the day comes when a rapists or murderers who serves reduced plea-bargained sentences demands to play again based on the "Vick decision.", after they "paid their debts to society."

Thanks for that concession. It means so much coming from someone like you.

Someone like me? You don't know me from a can of paint, but I’m educated enough to recognize that I'm not a genius and I’m man enough to admit it. I have common sense as well, which ultimately takes you further in life. I guess you’re one of the Friggin stupid individuals I'm talking about. My statements would only bother you if you are one of these individuals. Do me a favor and take the sand out.

Seriously, Vick has paid a heavy price for the cumilation of his choices in life. He served time in prison and lost pretty much everything. If that isn't enough for you all who want to stand on the outside and cast stones who really cares? People are so judgemental and quick to pound the gavel, but slow to look in the mirror. Let's not forget that Marshawn was likely about 1' from being in the same boat as Donte Stallworth last year, but he deserves every chance and excuse in the world because he plays for the Bills. :thumbsup: I think Vick should be allowed to play as soon as he's signed without any furthur suspension, but on a probationary status. One more screw up though and ban him from the league.

Sometimes it's really easy to locate the people with no pets. :thumbsup:

I have no pets, and I agree with him. People seem to want Goodell to hold Vick to a higher standard than the U.S. Criminal Justice system, which I cannot agree with.

He surved 18 months in prison, lost out on 2 seasons during the prime of his career, lost tons of money, filed for bankruptcy, and completely lost any credibility in the court of public opinion. He was also suspended indefinitely by the Commish when the entire fiasco began, so it's not as though he's getting off easy.

Also, it's important to note that ESPN rescinded the story (which Lori already pointed out).

I don't know how many different ways people can point out that a suspension given to someone already incarcerated, is meaningless. If they didn't suspend him for the last two years, what would be the difference? He has yet to show he can operate within the law, as a free man.

The UFL may not be a bad idea for Mike. Get back into football shape, show the NFL he is a changed man...all that. I certainly wouldn't employ a soulless/heartless sub-human...but, hey that's me.

The guy needs a chance. None of us know what went on in the meeting with Goodell. I hope Goodell hammered Vick about the point that he lied repeatedly to the commish before he went to jail. All I know is he should get the chance to move on. Athletes become bigger than life and you never know what experiences will humble them. Hopefully this did for Vick. Ray Lewis seems to have turned his life around, and you probably would have deemed him as heartless and sub-human considering the incident in Atlanta. He wasn't convicted of anything, but he has pretty much been a role model since.

Stallworth did not get a lifetime ban.

My mistake. He got an indefinite suspension.

And John Clayton is also reporting that 4 games seems to be the length of the suspension. So there's a whole lot of non-retraction retracting going on here.

My mistake. He got an indefinite suspension.

And John Clayton is also reporting that 4 games seems to be the length of the suspension. So there's a whole lot of non-retraction retracting going on here.

Actually, Vick also already has received an indefinite suspension, which Goodell said he might consider lifting based on Vick's conduct, or which could result in a lifetime suspension since gambling was involved...

"In August of 2007, Hours after Vick plead guilty to federal charges in the Bad Newz Kennels dog fighting investigation under a plea agreement which outlined gruesome details regarding treatment of the dogs, the NFL suspended him indefinitely without pay. In a letter to Vick, Commissioner Roger Goodell said that Vick had admitted to conduct that was "not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible." While Vick is technically a first-time offender under the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, Goodell handed down a harsher suspension because Vick admitted that he provided most of the money for the gambling side of the operation. The NFL does not allow its players to be involved in any form of gambling, and even first-time offenders risk being banned for life. However, Goodell did leave open the possibility of reinstating Vick depending on how well he cooperated with federal and state authorities."

link

So I'm not sure what any of these blokes/ersatz 'reporters' are talking about - Vick is already suspended "indefinitely".

Actually, Vick also already has received an indefinite suspension, which Goodell said he might consider lifting based on Vick's conduct, or which could result in a lifetime suspension since gambling was involved...

"In August of 2007, Hours after Vick plead guilty to federal charges in the Bad Newz Kennels dog fighting investigation under a plea agreement which outlined gruesome details regarding treatment of the dogs, the NFL suspended him indefinitely without pay. In a letter to Vick, Commissioner Roger Goodell said that Vick had admitted to conduct that was "not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible." While Vick is technically a first-time offender under the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, Goodell handed down a harsher suspension because Vick admitted that he provided most of the money for the gambling side of the operation. The NFL does not allow its players to be involved in any form of gambling, and even first-time offenders risk being banned for life. However, Goodell did leave open the possibility of reinstating Vick depending on how well he cooperated with federal and state authorities."

link

So I'm not sure what any of these blokes/ersatz 'reporters' are talking about - Vick is already suspended "indefinitely".

No surprise. I mentioned it and linked it twice in this thread already and you didn't bother to read or notice. :lol:

No surprise. I mentioned it and linked it twice in this thread already and you didn't bother to read or notice. :thumbsup:

Ooops...my bad :oops:

(But, you didn't say "indefinitely" ;) .)

Apparently it needed to be said again - and probably will still need repeating - since some don't seem to realize that Vick's already suspended.

How can Goodell suspend someone who's already suspended? :lol:

Unless, of course, he puts Vick on...

Double Secret Probation

(warning: language)

They could have let him stay active and fine him for every game he missed. :lol:

Actually Lynch isn't getting the appropriate punishment. A moving violation and a first-time gun offense are hardly worth 3 games, or even 1, since it's not a repeat offense and no one was even close to being injured by the gun.

But hey, I'm a conspiracy theory nutjob.

You still, somehow, after all this time and discussion, have not grasped the fact that the Commish regards the gun bust as a second offense. Especially after he sat down with Goodell after the hit and run. No doubt also he read the police report and made his own conclusions.

And it would clearly surprise you to learn that the law does not take into account intent when it busts you for an illegal weapons charge. Tank Williams was busted for having guns in his house. Also a second strike, that cost him 6.

You are one sick F-CK!!! What you said is disgraceful. I for one will be excited like everyone else on this message board to see Mike Vick do his thing on the field once again. What he did was very wrong. I think we can all agree with that. But he served his time in prison, and will always have disgraced his name. However, time will march on and his misdeeds will leave the spotlight. And like everything else it will be pretty much forgotten. So stop getting all worked up like a dumb psycho and move on with your hate. Football and the NFL is awesome. Goodell is a smart guy. I am sure he had his reasons for his decision on Vick. So just relax.

While I agree that the post you are replying to was over the top, I have to jump in here. No offense, paup, but please don't make generalized statements like this or lump us all together. I am not one bit excited to "see Mike Vick do his thing on the field again." Zip, zero, nada, none. And I am certain there are others who feel like I do, although I won't speak for others.

While I agree that the post you are replying to was over the top, I have to jump in here. No offense, paup, but please don't make generalized statements like this or lump us all together. I am not one bit excited to "see Mike Vick do his thing on the field again." Zip, zero, nada, none. And I am certain there are others who feel like I do, although I won't speak for others.

Fortunately I am confident Vick would never sign with the Bills (for many reasons). But if he did, I would not root for the Bills while he was on the team. There are few things in the world that could stop me rooting for my lifelong favorite team, the team that really adds more to my life than anything outside of my family. But signing Vick would be the that thing.

Fortunately I am confident Vick would never sign with the Bills (for many reasons). But if he did, I would not root for the Bills while he was on the team. There are few things in the world that could stop me rooting for my lifelong favorite team, the team that really adds more to my life than anything outside of my family. But signing Vick would be the that thing.

Agreed, I don't see the Bills pursuing him and that's great, IMO.

FWIW, I had something similar at the end of my post but edited it out. Thought the whole thing read a little too whiny/hysterical with it in there, but that's about where I stand. I would go one step further, though - I would stop watching the Bills while Vick was on the team, and the guy(s) who brought him in were still in charge.

You still, somehow, after all this time and discussion, have not grasped the fact that the Commish regards the gun bust as a second offense. Especially after he sat down with Goodell after the hit and run. No doubt also he read the police report and made his own conclusions.

And it would clearly surprise you to learn that the law does not take into account intent when it busts you for an illegal weapons charge. Tank Williams was busted for having guns in his house. Also a second strike, that cost him 6.

I didn't realize that a moving violation ticket for accidentally and unwittingly hitting a woman (which is all Sir Roger could have deduced from reading the police report, much less the other pieces of data that make up the whole case) constituted an "offense." The only "offense" people took was to Lynch exercising his 5th amendment rights (the horror!). But hey, judging by this latest ruling, Sir Roger just makes the rules up as he goes along.

I find it funny that Vick testing positive for pot while on bail didn't constitute an additional offense, meriting him an 8-game suspension at least. And judging by how you've been railing against Vick, I can't believe that this ruling by Sir Roger sits well with you. But knowing how you operate despite the little amount of time you've been here, you'll obviously spin this in a way to make it seem wholly appropriate. So let's hear it.

Guest dog14787
Agreed, I don't see the Bills pursuing him and that's great, IMO.

FWIW, I had something similar at the end of my post but edited it out. Thought the whole thing read a little too whiny/hysterical with it in there, but that's about where I stand. I would go one step further, though - I would stop watching the Bills while Vick was on the team, and the guy(s) who brought him in were still in charge.

The only thing that stops me from standing behind the Buffalo Bills, come hell or high water is relocation, but hey, then they wouldn't be the Buffalo Bills anyway so it really wouldn't matter. :lol:

The only thing that stops me from standing behind the Buffalo Bills, come hell or high water is relocation, but hey, then they wouldn't be the Buffalo Bills anyway so it really wouldn't matter. :lol:

That's a given, but for me that's not the only thing. As I said, I don't want to speak for others, but as Dean showed, there are others who are of a similar mindset.

If Vick was a Bill, I'm sure the 4 games would be viewed as too much and that he already suffered plenty with the two years in prison...

Whatever the case, I hope the Bills don't go anywhere near him...he sucks.

If Vick was a Bill, I'm sure the 4 games would be viewed as too much and that he already suffered plenty with the two years in prison...

Whatever the case, I hope the Bills don't go anywhere near him...he sucks.

Sure, Mr joined a few days ago. You know us SOOOO well.

Sure, Mr joined a few days ago. You know us SOOOO well.

See Marshawn Lynch...

And I should probably correct myself that it wasn't two years in prison, but two years away from the game.

Guest dog14787
That's a given, but for me that's not the only thing. As I said, I don't want to speak for others, but as Dean showed, there are others who are of a similar mindset.

Oh I know, and I'm sure its the same everywhere around the league.

I didn't realize that a moving violation ticket for accidentally and unwittingly hitting a woman (which is all Sir Roger could have deduced from reading the police report, much less the other pieces of data that make up the whole case) constituted an "offense." The only "offense" people took was to Lynch exercising his 5th amendment rights (the horror!). But hey, judging by this latest ruling, Sir Roger just makes the rules up as he goes along.

I find it funny that Vick testing positive for pot while on bail didn't constitute an additional offense, meriting him an 8-game suspension at least. And judging by how you've been railing against Vick, I can't believe that this ruling by Sir Roger sits well with you. But knowing how you operate despite the little amount of time you've been here, you'll obviously spin this in a way to make it seem wholly appropriate. So let's hear it.

I was talking about the gun bust report.

Where do I stand on Vick's suspension? Know how I "operate", eh? Looking for "obvious spin"?

Well, hate to ruin it for you (again), but my thoughts on Vick haven't changed:

A second chance at what?

His second chance at being an free, mature, adult citizen began when he was released from prison.

A second chance at being a crappy NFL QB? Why is that necessary?

Let him go play with JP in the toss off league.

Despite that, you, in the same thread, posted this nugget of non-comprehension:

The funny thing is that Vick had a .618 winning percentage, on an average team as you said. And he actually won a playoff game. That should make him a god in Mr. WEO's eyes.

So, to spell it out in a way so plain that even you will not be able to claim confusion---I don't think vick belongs in the league and should have gotten at least a couple of years suspension, if not lifetime.

Now's the part where you say Mr. WEO thinks Vick is great and the Commish is infallible because of TOs contract with the Eagles......

I was talking about the gun bust report.

You mean the first true offense? Yep, he had an illegal weapon in a box in the trunk of his car. He got a wholly appropriate misdemeanor and fine for a first-time, non-violent, non-threatening case. It's not like he got away with anything there, like Stallworth did in his case or Marshall did in his cases.

Where do I stand on Vick's suspension? Know how I "operate", eh? Looking for "obvious spin"?

Well, hate to ruin it for you (again), but my thoughts on Vick haven't changed:

Despite that, you, in the same thread, posted this nugget of non-comprehension:

So, to spell it out in a way so plain that even you will not be able to claim confusion---I don't think vick belongs in the league and should have gotten at least a couple of years suspension, if not lifetime.

Now's the part where you say Mr. WEO thinks Vick is great and the Commish is infallible because of TOs contract with the Eagles......

Actually chief, I was asking for your thoughts on Sir Roger's reported 4-game suspension of Vick. You have to think he's as retarded as I thought he was for Lynch's suspension. Well?

And talk about non-comprehension! The stuff about Vick, his winning percentage, and taking his team to the playoffs and winning was sarcasm, given your Flutie taint-licking. And something tells me you had the same dislike of Vick even before the dog killing.

Why would any team want him? He sucks as a qb. Maybe a better running back, but would get killed as an every down player. I would much rather take my chances with Losman.

lolwut? I'd take a QB that can throw for 2500 yards and run for 1,000 more, an overall threat to score running or passing on every down over JP Loss-man every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Can you honestly say that Vick would be a worse option than anyone in our current stable of QBs?

lolwut? I'd take a QB that can throw for 3,000 yards and run for 1,000 more, an overall threat to score running or passing on every down over JP Loss-man every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Can you honestly say that Vick would be a worse option than anyone in our current stable of QBs?

Given the Bills offense under Jauron and Turk, I think all of the QBs are better options than Vick.

In the Bills' system, Vick would be a zero. Try to consider context before making outrageous remarks.

Given the Bills offense under Jauron and Turk, I think all of the QBs are better options than Vick.

In the Bills' system, Vick would be a zero. Try to consider context before making outrageous remarks.

The Bills offense under Jauron and Schonert has typically been centered around quick decisions and outlet passes, something that Trent supposedly excels with. However, given the offensive line struggles that have been notorious with this franchise, having a quarterback who can move well outside of the pocket and make big plays with his feet would seem valuable. It's not like we've gotten anywhere with Trent that would warrant thinking of him as a more effective option than Vick.