Florio's Take On Mike Vick?

H2o

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...ould-want-vick/

Vick was an exciting player for sure, but I can't say I'd want him over Edwards. I think Edwards has more potential and is a better passer for certain. I'll pass on the Vick sweepstakes. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in Washington, St. Louis, or Miami. Those are the 3 teams that I believe will take a shot on him.

I like Florio and all, but that "comparable" term is misleading, since Vick and Edwards are nothing alike as far as Talent, style, personality, athleticism, intelligence, etc.

So, using "logic," does that mean, by florio's opinion, that if edwards is just as good/as bad as Vick, that 13 starters are better than Edwards, seven who are comparable, and a dozen who are worse? I mean, if there are 12 starting QBs worse than edwards, he has some more upside, eh?

And i really don't think there are many teams that are going to be THAT desperate for a player like vick. Without the whole crime/prison thing, he would have an easy shot. But there weren't that many teams taking a shot at TO. so i would think there would be LESS interersted in Vick. Vick is a tremendous athlete, but a terrible QB. The only reason he was so big in ATL was because the fans got excited for him (win or lose) and made the owners money. Vick was a terrible passer. He got away with so much because of his running around.

he is headed to the UFL to face Losman for the championship

Wow..that's an in-depth comparison there...

And then he goes on to say...

"Of course, many more factors go into the analysis. We aren't accounting for potential or contract status or other factors that would cause teams not to pursue him."

WHAT freakin' analysis????? :unsure:

Florio < RJ

Anyway, if TE is "comparable" (I think he's "better"), I'll stick with the younger guy from Stanford with his entire career before him, rather than the dog killer who hasn't played a down of football in 2 years.

How about actually considering what Vick was able to do as a starter. To me he was mostly ineffective. His legend and marketing hype exceeded his actual accomplishments.

PTR

While I hate giving QBs sole credit for their team's W/L you can't deny that his worst season his Falcons amassed a 7-9 record which isn't too shabby.

While I hate giving QBs sole credit for their team's W/L you can't deny that his worst season his Falcons amassed a 7-9 record which isn't too shabby.

He also pretty much single handedly got them to the NFC title game against the Eagles. He revived football in Atlanta all by himself. Reebok sold more Michael Vick jerseys than anyone in the NFL for 3 or 4 years. He was such an unpredictable force back there that you couldn't do but so much against the guy. You really just hoped to contain him. On that note, I'd still rather have Trent than MV. :thumbsup:

Ok i watched a lot of Vicks career here in Atlanta.

Vick and Edwards are complete opposites in style. Vick runs very well, Edwards does not. Vick has a huge arm but is very inaccurate with it. Edwards had a mediocre arm put has shown the ability to be very accurate, especially in short to medium range. Vick threw his passes with one speed, FAST. Vick had zero touch. Hell the two are not even the same size or color. I mean come on. If anything Lossman was a poormans Vick. But Edwards? Jeez.

Guest dog14787
He also pretty much single handedly got them to the NFC title game against the Eagles. He revived football in Atlanta all by himself. Reebok sold more Michael Vick jerseys than anyone in the NFL for 3 or 4 years. He was such an unpredictable force back there that you couldn't do but so much against the guy. You really just hoped to contain him. On that note, I'd still rather have Trent than MV. :thumbsup:

Micheal Vick probably has more raw talent than anyone that has stepped onto the football field in years, maybe ever, but Vick lacks the intelligence and field vision to read and react to defenses properly, he just doesn't have it upstairs.

In that respect TE and Micheal Vick are as different as night and day.

still not sure why SO many people on here like Mike Florio. The guy really has no credentials at all. I have no idea why NBC is buying out his website other than he must get a ton of hits, but they guy has rarely given me any ground breaking info that would prove he has "sources." He's no different then a guy like Mortensen scrounging what he can from mainstream sources and attempting to spin it as his own info.

here's his bio"

Aside from his work on the website, Florio works as a lawyer. He resides in West Virginia. Before creating the site, Florio worked at ESPN.com for a week

so what there tells you he has some sort of "network" of NFL contacts? heck there isn't even an NFL team that close to him. I just don't get everyones infatuation with him....

If the article stated that TE was better than Mike Vick nobody on this board would be pissed. (for the record he also said that Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Cassell, all of whom are better than TE, are also comparable.)

While Mike Vick might not be as good a passer as TE, he was / is exciting and teams have to game plan for him. He might not have won the Super Bowl in ATL but he did take them to the playoffs.

Until Trent has a winning record AND can actually stay healthy I would rather take Mike Vick. Again, not saying that he would get us to the Super Bowl but he'd probably have a better record.

Ok i watched a lot of Vicks career here in Atlanta.

Vick and Edwards are complete opposites in style. Vick runs very well, Edwards does not. Vick has a huge arm but is very inaccurate with it. Edwards had a mediocre arm put has shown the ability to be very accurate, especially in short to medium range. Vick threw his passes with one speed, FAST. Vick had zero touch. Hell the two are not even the same size or color. I mean come on. If anything Lossman was a poormans Vick. But Edwards? Jeez.

All of this has nothing to do with Florio's article. He didn't compare styles, his was simply a spit-ball take on his opinion of overall ability. "Better, Worse, or Comparable".

Florio is WAY off on many of his comparisons, IMO. But let's not criticize him for things he comparisons he never made. I think of Florio as a sports news and gossip aggregator, who may occasionally break a story. I never thought of him as a guy with much football knowledge, or savvy.

If the article stated that TE was better than Mike Vick nobody on this board would be pissed. (for the record he also said that Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Cassell, all of whom are better than TE, are also comparable.)

While Mike Vick might not be as good a passer as TE, he was / is exciting and teams have to game plan for him. He might not have won the Super Bowl in ATL but he did take them to the playoffs.

Until Trent has a winning record AND can actually stay healthy I would rather take Mike Vick. Again, not saying that he would get us to the Super Bowl but he'd probably have a better record.

I like your take a lot. The only game I saw of Vick in person was at the Ralph in '05, when Spikes went down for the year. He's pretty talented athlete, no question. What surprised me the most was he burned us that game a lot with his arm, not his feet. It seemed we'd be just on the verge of sacking him for a huge loss, then the ball comes flyin' out for a 15 yard gain.

Mind you, this was 4 years ago now. Prison life has probably aged Vick to some degree. But I do think Florio got it right, at least in his totally arbitrary comparisons. Looking at it through a "can you do better at QB than (insert guy here)," lens, I'd say he was just about right. Would you rather have Michael Vick as your starting QB or Sage Rosenfels/Tavaris Jackson?

And i really don't think there are many teams that are going to be THAT desperate for a player like vick. Without the whole crime/prison thing, he would have an easy shot. But there weren't that many teams taking a shot at TO. so i would think there would be LESS interersted in Vick. Vick is a tremendous athlete, but a terrible QB. The only reason he was so big in ATL was because the fans got excited for him (win or lose) and made the owners money. Vick was a terrible passer. He got away with so much because of his running around.

he is headed to the UFL to face Losman for the championship

Yeah, any team that takes on Vick also takes on PETA, he is just not worth the headache.

vick aint anything like edwards. vick is so fast. he can throw the ball far. edward is slow. he cant throw ball as far as vick. I dont see y the guy say he comparble to vick. they aint the same QB. vicks fast like a cheeta. edwards is a good qb but he aint the same as vick.

Florio gets paid to write that stuff because he owns the site. And millions of people read it because it's interesting and a good source of rumors and gossip, as has been said above. He did a quick-and-dirty read on 32 NFL QB situations to see where Vick would be better or worse. What exactly are you getting that's better in 99% of the sports media?