Now That Vick's Sentence is Over

VJ91

Do you know why thousands of companies don't want to hire convicted felons? It's because they don't want a repeat of the criminal activities at their place of business. So what is Vick going to do, hold dog fights in the dead of night at the stadium of the team he plays with? The odds of Vick being involved in any criminal activities at an NFL stadium are pretty darn slim.

Whether he could have played the last two years or not, Vick has already lost 2 years of a very finite career. To ban him any longer would be the longest ban other than a lifetime ban.

The legal system has released him from jail, if he messes up, he'll go back. He should be reinstated and then we can see which team is stupid or desperate enough to hire him. Odds are much higher it will be the Dolphins than the Bills.

Very valid point.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be refreshing for Roger Goodell to end the speculation and thousands of upcoming stories, reports and features about Vick, by simply banning him from ever playing in the NFL again simply because he spent time behind bars as a convicted felon?? Thousands of companies in the freedom-loving USA would refuse to hire Vick for that very reason. Time spent behind bars really should be the line in the sand for all sports teams, in my opinion. These stupid athletes have the money and fame to get almost any crime dropped to community service or suspended sentences with probation. The very few idiots that do things so bad that they have to go to jail for even one day after sentencing, should be made the example for the rest of these rich spoiled ego-maniacs that think they can do anything they want out in public, anytime they want to and any way they want to.

The American justice system determined his punishment and he has served it. IMO he is now on an even keal and shouldn't be punished any further, but that is up to any employer to decide. Many companies woldn't hire some joe shmoe the felon, but they would hire a Warren Buffet the felon. Vick is not your average NFL player, he has the football talent to warrent the hire just as Warren Buffet has the buisiness talent to warrent a hire.

The American justice system determined his punishment and he has served it.

all because of a plea deal. Had the prosecutors done their jobs, Vick would still be bending over for Bubba in prison for several more years

Goodell said he will talk to him and see if he really is sorry for what he's done. Then he'll make a decision.

You seem like a very unhappy and vindictive prick. The dude did a bad bad thing. The dude got arrested. The dude virtually lost almost all of his fortune. The dude served more time in prison than some bastards do for murdering human beings (OJ Simpson?). The dude is on paroll. The dude has paid his debt to society. Let the dude go in peace and if whomever wants to hire him for any legal job, that's up to them. This is the USA... and I'd hate to think that everyone is judged on stupid things they did in their youth, several years later.

Vick isn't getting a free pass... whatever he does next, because of his past, will be under a microscope. The ball is in his court to begin anew. Like everyone else, he deserves his shot. :thumbsup:

What the hell does "his fortune" have to do with it? I'm not sure you're saying this completely, but a lot of people here think the fact he lost millions of dollars due to this is another part of his punishment.

Anybody who goes to prison for a few years "loses their fortune" it just so happens Vick's was a lot bigger. How much he lost should have nothing to do with his sentence or potential reinstatement. JMO

Very valid point.

Valid point or not, I want to know where the NFL draws the line for these idiots? What is the obsession with him "paying his debt to society?" Who cares? He also paid people to fight and torture his dogs on his property. He paid his lawyers to defend him, and even they could not keep him out of jail.

And this is my one and only point. Why would it be so bad to make one simple rule for all players in the NFL...if you serve time in prison, any amount of time, for some stupid crime you committ while being a player in the NFL, you will receive a life-time ban. With that rule on the books who knows, maybe Vick may never have started his psychoticly stupid dog fighting ring. Maybe Donte Stallworth calls a freakin' cab? How can it possibly be a bad thing to make a rule like that??

Do you know why thousands of companies don't want to hire convicted felons? It's because they don't want a repeat of the criminal activities at their place of business.

To be fair, that's only one reason some don't hire felons. There are felonies that have little to do with violence, or the workplace, but I'm guessing many high profile companies would prefer not to be connected to a high profile felon...particularly one who committed such a vile and soulless crime. Maybe he could be a pitchman for Dell, or something. "High, I'm former serial dog murderer and torturer, Mike Vick, for Dell computers."

First off I think what Michael Vick did was despicable and I never want him to play for the Bills ever under any circumstance. Now the big butt. He was convicted of a crime and served his time. He has payed his debt to society. I could see the NFL suspending for a while now that he's out. But then he should be able to play again. He wouldn't be the first NFL convicted felon player.

First off I think what Michael Vick did was despicable and I never want him to play for the Bills ever under any circumstance. Now the big butt. He was convicted of a crime and served his time. He has payed his debt to society. I could see the NFL suspending for a while now that he's out. But then he should be able to play again. He wouldn't be the first NFL convicted felon player.

1 He actually got off easy with a plea bargain...he should still be in jail...he's got a long ways to go before we can actually say he paid his debt to society

2 for one thing, no convicted felons have been reinstated on Goodell's watch..Goodell has been tougher on troublemakers than Tags ever was. So talking about players whose troubles happened before he took office really has no bearing on Vick's case but for argument's sake, what convicted felons have come back to the NFL? Christian Peters is the only one I can think of and whether his convictions were felonies or misdemeanors is questionable. Ray Lewis and Leonard Little were both convicted of misdemeanors so don't bother bringing them up...it'd be ignorant

Wouldn't it be refreshing for Roger Goodell to end the speculation and thousands of upcoming stories, reports and features about Vick, by simply banning him from ever playing in the NFL again simply because he spent time behind bars as a convicted felon?? Thousands of companies in the freedom-loving USA would refuse to hire Vick for that very reason. Time spent behind bars really should be the line in the sand for all sports teams, in my opinion. These stupid athletes have the money and fame to get almost any crime dropped to community service or suspended sentences with probation. The very few idiots that do things so bad that they have to go to jail for even one day after sentencing, should be made the example for the rest of these rich spoiled ego-maniacs that think they can do anything they want out in public, anytime they want to and any way they want to.

I am not a Vick fan by any stretch of the imagination, and I wouldn't want the Bills to sign him, but he has served his debt to society, much more than most millionaire athletes that commit crimes do. He has successfully completed his punishment and he has every right to earn a living as any other ex-con in the good ole USA. Ray Lewis was involved in murder, he is playing. Pacman Jones has been suspended more times than you can count, and he is still eligible if anyone wants him. Marshawn Lynch ran a women over and ran from the scene of the crime, and he didn't even get suspended for that, not until he was stupid enough to continue getting in trouble. What would your reaction be if someone said Lynch should be suspended for life? Probably not the same as yours is of Vick because I am guessing you are a Bills fan. I personally wouldn't want the protesting and the sideshow that is going to come with signing him, but he has already been used to make an example/statement about one of the longest running and ignored crimes in this country, which since his arrest has been cut nearly in half.

Honestly, you people on this board with your hate for Vick sickens me. I am a dog lover, I'll always be a dog lover, but I think people need to look at the facts. Vick did a terrible crime, but a crime to animals. Animals are killed every day by humans in our society. We hunt turkeys, deer, rabbit and a whole host of animals on a yearly basis. rooster fighting is a worldwide sport; MMA fighters pummel each other for our sick entertainment. Where do we draw the line with our passions for blood? Dog fighting is illegal, he served his time; he lost millions. If he gets suspended for an additional year, what does that really prove? Do we have to explain to our kids why we killed kill deer? His biggest crime was he made money from illegal practices not that he fought dogs. Society gets paid for practices that hurt others. Beer companies, tobacco companies, and gun companies. Where is the outrage when a kid kills another with a gun? Nobody cares. Get your own mind; think for yourselves and stop following others because others hate Vick. I think thought he was bigger than the system, he lied numerous times and he deserved the time he served and the damage to his rep. When will we give him a chance to redeem himself? When will he have a chance to be forgiven for his wrong? Convicted felons are people also, if we continue to treat ex-cons so harshly they will only commit more crimes to earn a living. I would welcome Vick to the Bills with open arms. If you stop going to Bill games because the Bills sign him. It will be more tickets available for someone else. If you take away a man’s earning potential, what else are they going to do but get involved in more illegal practices. People can change you know, give him a chance. If he does anything like this again, then ban him for life.

1 He actually got off easy with a plea bargain...he should still be in jail...he's got a long ways to go before we can actually say he paid his debt to society

2 for one thing, no convicted felons have been reinstated on Goodell's watch..Goodell has been tougher on troublemakers than Tags ever was. So talking about players whose troubles happened before he took office really has no bearing on Vick's case but for argument's sake, what convicted felons have come back to the NFL? Christian Peters is the only one I can think of and whether his convictions were felonies or misdemeanors is questionable. Ray Lewis and Leonard Little were both convicted of misdemeanors so don't bother bringing them up...it'd be ignorant

He served the sentence that was handed down to him, and if you can't see that, you are the one who is ignorant. I don't like him, but he isn't the only person who has ever plea bargained a case. You might lessen the sentence plea bargaining, but you are also giving up the chance to prove/buy your innocense (no I am not saying he was innocent), he did have money, kinda like O.J. did, and look what that money got him-NOT GUILTY. There are NFL players getting arrested every week, and over past year, a good percentage of them were on the Buffalo Bills, and how many of them are suspended any time at all, much less for life. Lynch only got suspended because he is a f-in retard who does one stupid thing after another. Some would say plowing into a human being and taking off, then parking in your driveway like nothing happened is nearly as bad as what Vick did. Not saying by any stretch what he did is legally or morally correct, not even close, but obviously you don't hunt or fish, since those are sports that kill animals for the thrill of it.

A second chance at what?

His second chance at being an free, mature, adult citizen began when he was released from prison.

A second chance at being a crappy NFL QB? Why is that necessary?

Let him go play with JP in the toss off league.

:lol::lol:

Valid point or not, I want to know where the NFL draws the line for these idiots? What is the obsession with him "paying his debt to society?" Who cares? He also paid people to fight and torture his dogs on his property. He paid his lawyers to defend him, and even they could not keep him out of jail.

And this is my one and only point. Why would it be so bad to make one simple rule for all players in the NFL...if you serve time in prison, any amount of time, for some stupid crime you committ while being a player in the NFL, you will receive a life-time ban. With that rule on the books who knows, maybe Vick may never have started his psychoticly stupid dog fighting ring. Maybe Donte Stallworth calls a freakin' cab? How can it possibly be a bad thing to make a rule like that??

Great post!! I agree 100%

I think that you are starting down a very slippery slope, if you ban him for life.

What's next, banning players for tax evasion, they might not have enough left

to fill out the leauge. Maybe we should just ban anyone who fails to live up to

the lofty moral standards that proper role models should. Please!

Didn't PacMan get a year's suspension and he wasn't convicted; no jail time. IMO, there's no way you can have a player convicted of a felony, do jail time, and not suspend him for at least a year (if not longer). Anything less definitely points to different sets of rules for different players.

The league has already set the precedent that suspension is not dependent upon jail time served. So, to say he's already served his debt; therefore, no suspension, is unfounded. Also, I think you can largely remove the type of crime from the scenario. IMO, Goodell has an easy decision. Were you convicted of a felony? Yes. OK, then you get 2 year suspension. Next.

Although, I must ask, does anyone know of any recent players that have been convicted of, or plead guilty to, felony charges and was not convicted? It'd be a worthwhile comparison, assuming there's a modicum of consistency in Goodell's decisions.

I don't know you personally SKOOB, but I suspect you may not have kids that will come up and ask you "Daddy why did Micheal Vick kill dogs like our dog?"

Yet lets cheer him on, now does that seem right to you?

Then the kids say, why did they cut up that fish like the ones in our fish tank. Or why did that man shoot Bambi? Please.....

I think that you are starting down a very slippery slope, if you ban him for life.

What's next, banning players for tax evasion, they might not have enough left

to fill out the leauge. Maybe we should just ban anyone who fails to live up to

the lofty moral standards that proper role models should. Please!

Along with that thought, Tony Romo should be suspended for life, for dumping Jessica Simpson. Who would do that?

Along with that thought, Tony Romo should be suspended for life, for dumping Jessica Simpson. Who would do that?

Anyone with the choices Romo has and/or a modicum of self respect.