Tom Watson

Tcali

I think most people will understand that Watson lost it on his own, but I'd imagine that this isn't the way Cink wanted to win his first major. Instead of celebrating his win, just about everyone will be saying, "if only ..."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, i half wondered if maybe, just maybe cink would tank the playoff......yeah, i guess not....what could/should/would have been if Watson hadn't babied that putt on 18

I think most people will understand that Watson lost it on his own, but I'd imagine that this isn't the way Cink wanted to win his first major. Instead of celebrating his win, just about everyone will be saying, "if only ..."

could you imagine the swagger of all the senior golfers on every course across america had watson been able to hold on????? that is the ONLY good thing to come of Watson not finishing it :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Those old men would have been even more unbearable than usual.

From Dan Jenkins: "If he wins the playoff against Watson, Cink has a chance to become the most hated man in the world."

I disagree, although understandable since it makes for a good headline. Watson was the first to say he lost it all on his own in the press tent, and most golf fans understand that nobody gets a gimme on the big stage, even legends like Tom.

Cink played a great back nine and I thought he remained relaxed in all the pressure situations that used to eat him up. He's a very worthy champion, and a nice guy to boot.

I knew he'd take his medicine like a man, but it’s still remarkable to see a pro athlete (or anyone, for that matter) exhibit the grace that Watson showed in defeat. In all the talk about "old school" this week, that may be the most memorable/gratifying aspect of the tournament for me. Nice to turn back the clock for a weekend...

I disagree, although understandable since it makes for a good headline. Watson was the first to say he lost it all on his own in the press tent, and most golf fans understand that nobody gets a gimme on the big stage, even legends like Tom.

Cink played a great back nine and I thought he remained relaxed in all the pressure situations that used to eat him up. He's a very worthy champion, and a nice guy to boot.

I knew he'd take his medicine like a man, but it’s still remarkable to see a pro athlete (or anyone, for that matter) exhibit the grace that Watson showed in defeat. In all the talk about "old school" this week, that may be the most memorable/gratifying aspect of the tournament for me. Nice to turn back the clock for a weekend...

The put he made on 18 in regulation kept the pressure on Watson. Once Watson overshot the green on second shot I was thinking palyoff becuase all the previous players were overshooting theit puts from that location.

I think it may have been different if Watson hadn't fallen apart in the playoff. But you're right, Old Tom said it best himself when speaking about the overtime (see if I can still remember the quote): "Stewart did what he had to do to win, and I didn't give him much competition."

So congrats to Cink, a worthy champion ... but I still would've rather read a different story in tomorrow morning's paper. You know what ran through my mind at one point? The title of Vic Carucci's book about the Bills' "Almost-Dream Season." So close ... if he'd pulled the 9 instead of the 8 ...

Tweet from Tim Dahlberg: "The scene on the course during the playoff was surreal. No one wanted Cink to win, and fans looked like someone had kicked their dog."

... but I still would've rather read a different story in tomorrow morning's paper.

Me too. I was pulling for Tom all the way, but that's what makes sports the compelling entertainment it is.

From the elation of walking up 18 with a one shot lead, to the agony of knowing the story book ending wasn't going to happen when he fluffed his 8-footer, it was a great show. Hollywood, eat your heart out...

Agreed. I really like the way Chris LaPlaca put it at a symposium a couple of months ago, probably because it rings so true for a Bills fan: "No one boos at the opera. A bad movie doesn't change your life. But when your team loses, you're in a funk for three days."

When Watson missed that putt on 18, I was sure that he would hold his putter over his head and yell "RAT!@#$!", and get struck by lightning. Then his caddy, Carl Spackler, would hastily slink off into the rainy darkness.

That playoffs was really painful to watch. What a horrible end to what was one hell of a weekend.

Absolutely. Watson had been so solid for the four rounds, and to blow up like he did in the playoff was a shame, but Cink did what he had to do to win. The birdie putt on 18 to get him to -2 was clutch. I think he knew exactly what it meant at the time too...a possible playoff.

ESPN posted a poll about who's loss was more devastating, Watson's or Roddick's at Wimbledon. Personally, I thought Roddick's was more devastating just because he had never won Wimbledon. Granted, this is probably Watson's last hurrah. Tough call. Watson choked on 18 and Roddick choked in the 2nd set tiebreaker.

Hell of a tournament. Too bad tommy couldn't hang on there at the end. I was really shocked he made such a horrible putt for par on 18.

Props to Cink tho. He's one of the more deserving players to win. The guy has paid his dues, been a top level, largely unnoticed player for the past few years now. Don't forget that he too was hardened by a 72nd hole heartbreak at a major when he three putted from 15 feet at the 2001 US Open.

screw Rick Reilly for 'disparaging' Tiger in his final thoughts....did he really just say "Killer Wife"???????????

Agreed on this. The slam on Tiger was uncalled for and made no sense to me.

In terms of Watson, i really do not believe he "lost" this on the 18th. He hit a perfect driver and a perfect 8, just got unlucky on the bounce of the green.

I thought the coolest thing about his interviews was the confidence you could see in his eyes. He said he believed at the start of the week he could win this thing, and I believe him. With Norman last year, now Watso, I guess links golf evens up the field a little a bit and with fitness, nutrition etc getting better, looks like guys 50+ being in contention at the Open might become commonplace.

I think thas pretty cool as I myself approach 50 :lol:

Props to Cink tho. He's one of the more deserving players to win. The guy has paid his dues, been a top level, largely unnoticed player for the past few years now. Don't forget that he too was hardened by a 72nd hole heartbreak at a major when he three putted from 15 feet at the 2001 US Open.

I hope he wins at least one more. Yeah, in the big picture, a major's a major, but I'm sure he'd like to be remembered for more than just being the guy who beat Watson.

screw Rick Reilly for 'disparaging' Tiger in his final thoughts....did he really just say "Killer Wife"???????????

What did he say? I used to think he was the best writer in the country, and now I can't stand him.

What did he say? I used to think he was the best writer in the country, and now I can't stand him.

He did a piece thanking him for reminding us that golf was a gentlemens game or played with grace or good manners (or something to that effect), and while he was doing the voice over, the image on the screen was Tiger slamming a club in anger over a bad tee shot