Ross Tucker Article

This is dead-nuts accurate and highlites why dick jauron will do nothing but anchor this team at the bottom. By my view, there are basically 4-6 teams with a lot of talent who can win 12-13 games, and 4-6 teams so completely devoid of talent that they'll only win 2-3 games. The remaining 20 odd teams in the NFL all have similar talent levels and will depend on coaching to put them over the hump. Good coaches get the teams to 10 wins and the playoffs. Bad coaches cause teams to lose games and prevent them from succeeding (jauron).

The Bills are squarely in that middle group, and we probably have 9 or even 10 win talent. Unfortunately, piss poor coaching from jauron and co. will cost us at least 2 wins this season, once again putting us in the 7 win range.

If Jauron was only a poor game day coach (he is awful), that would be bad enough. The thing is, Jauron's losing philosophy has also killed us on draft day. How about a quick scenario.....

If Walker is average or below this season, are you sure that Jauron would address the LT position in the draft if a comparibly rated defensive back was there to replace MaGee or Whitner? Do you see what I mean?

Almost any credible football man would opt for the LT. Jauron wants defensive backs in his system at all costs, only to play them a mile off the ball. This is what he cares about the most, and I think that someone stepped up this April (Brandon?) and stopped him from using our top picks on corners and safeties. It is all but certain that we could have had a first round pick in 2010 for our 2nd this year, but Dumbo saw fit to squander this on yet another small safety. Still, I'm surprised that he didn't draft Vontae Davis, or even Byrd at #11.

Add up the picks that the Bills have turned down in trades to take small safeties. It is sickening, and a good indication of how Dumbo prioritizes, and why the Bills lose more football games than they win.

If Jauron was only a poor game day coach (he is awful), that would be bad enough. The thing is, Jauron's losing philosophy has also killed us on draft day. How about a quick scenario.....

If Walker is average or below this season, are you sure that Jauron would address the LT position in the draft if a comparibly rated defensive back was there to replace MaGee or Whitner? Do you see what I mean?

Almost any credible football man would opt for the LT. Jauron wants defensive backs in his system at all costs, only to play them a mile off the ball. This is what he cares about the most, and I think that someone stepped up this April (Brandon?) and stopped him from using our top picks on corners and safeties. It is all but certain that we could have had a first round pick in 2010 for our 2nd this year, but Dumbo saw fit to squander this on yet another small safety. Still, I'm surprised that he didn't draft Vontae Davis, or even Byrd at #11.

Add up the picks that the Bills have turned down in trades to take small safeties. It is sickening, and a good indication of how Dumbo prioritizes, and why the Bills lose more football games than they win.

I love it how you always knew Losman was a terrible NFL QB, yet refer to a guy that was forced to start Losman as Dumbo.

Calling any Ivy league grad Dumbo makes you look silly and petty. You're a better poster than that.

I love it how you always knew Losman was a terrible NFL QB, yet refer to a guy that was forced to start Losman as Dumbo.

Calling any Ivy league grad Dumbo makes you look silly and petty. You're a better poster than that.

His football philosophy is dumb, and many of his on field miscues are even worse.

Being an Ivy League grad is great. My daughter is one, and she is the smartest person I have ever met. Now she is in law school in Philly and her apartment was cold for 3 days. She could also hear a lot of noise (Phillies won the world series) and didn't understand why.

PS: Her window was open and she couldn't see it because the blinds were down. That's my girl! :lol:

His football philosophy is dumb, and many of his on field miscues are even worse.

Being an Ivy League grad is great. My daughter is one, and she is the smartest person I have ever met. Now she is in law school in Philly and her apartment was cold for 3 days. She could also hear a lot of noise (Phillies won the world series) and didn't understand why.

PS: Her window was open and she couldn't see it because the blinds were down. That's my girl! :lol:

If Belichick had the QBs Jauron has had, his coaching philosophy would be dumb too. Just like it was in Cleveland and NE before Brady (and with much better QBs). QBs make coaches, with a few exceptions.

Regarding Schemes vs. Talent:

I am a big believer that coaching plays a significant role in wins and losses in the NFL. Talent-wise, teams are not that different. Outside of the quarterback position, it very often comes down to coaching, which is primarily playing to your strengths and minimizing your limitations. Some organizations are better than others at utilizing their players and really diagnosing what makes the other team successful. Bill Belichick is really good at that. He has a great feel for the strengths of his own players and taking away the one or two things that the other team does well.

I found this particularly interesting, since there was a thread covering this topic yesterday. I agree with Cosell again, that coaching is a big factor in separating the good teams from the lousy ones. It seems like it's more important to have a coach that can construct a system and game plan around the talent he has than it is to have a level of talent measurably above the other teams in the league.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Care? Not care? Discuss at will...

Disagree.

If this were true, why then, does a Barry Switzer immediately coach a team to a superbowl championship? Why does Jon Gruden win a superbowl in 2003 and miss the playoffs the following year?

It's a combination of several factors - all the stars aligning. You have to have a good front office who can restock the roster and know when to cut bait with overpriced prima donnas. There has to be a competent head coach and coordinators who can steer the talent on hand in the right direction. There has to be a cohesive group of players with a winning mentality. A little luck and the right bounce of a ball could mean the difference in playoff seeding. Funny how good teams always seem to have the ball bounce their way.

Without any of these factors, the team probably doesn't win the superbowl.

We've seen teams with average coaches do well. We've seen average QBs win superbowls.

The one thing I don't have any recollection of is a team with a crappy front office winning it all.

You had me up until you started rambling on yet again about DBs and the draft. Give it a rest already.

And the safeties we drafted aren't small. They are pretty much in line with the average size safety in the NFL. But i know, only big fat guys can be successful.

If Belichick had the QBs Jauron has had, his coaching philosophy would be dumb too. Just like it was in Cleveland and NE before Brady (and with much better QBs). QBs make coaches, with a few exceptions.

Sorry, but I disagree. It is far a too simplistic outlook imo. Did you see Jauron with replays? How about the way he and Levy drafted? Does Belichick have a dumb system, or was he a proven winner?

See the difference? Jauron is a time tested, proven loser.

Sorry, but I disagree. It is far a too simplistic an outlook imo. Did you see Jauron with replays? How about the way he and Levy drafted? Does Belichick have a dumb system, or was he a proven winner?

Belichick lost at a slightly worse rate than Jauron before Mo Lewis nearly killed Drew Bledsoe. So was he a terrible loser who just got lucky with a HOF QB or a good coach all along? Would BB have made the playoffs with Losman or Cade McNown? Or would he have gone 13-3 with the deadly combo Shane Matthews and Jim Miller? Very debatable.

As for the replays, the call comes from the booth. And compare our last 4 drafts. They are really good especially considering the hoel we had to dig out from the TD error. Whitner hatred aside, those drafts have produce alot of really good young players.

I'm not going to say Jauron is a great coach, but he is far better than most here give him credit for. His teams are one of the most displinced in the league and the players love him. However players loving their coach can only get you so far if you lack talent, which the Bills have for 3 years. This is the most talented team he has ever had with a QB in the best position to succeed. No excuses but I feel this season will shut a lot of the Jauron critics up.

You had me up until you started rambling on yet again about DBs and the draft. Give it a rest already.

And the safeties we drafted aren't small. They are pretty much in line with the average size safety in the NFL. But i know, only big fat guys can be successful.

I guess what it comes down to is whether or not you agree with, or perhaps like the way this team was built since 2006.

Although I am full of praise for them over the fact that they drafted Wood and Levitre (still hard to believe), the defense is still small, and the guys who are at least "supposed" to be stars will be playing way way off the ball. I can't see how they can possibly stop the run. Can you? Jauron had 4 years to correct this. Instead, he focused on defensive backs and ya know.....our secondary aint all that.

I guess what it comes down to is whether or not you agree with, or perhaps like the way this team was built since 2006.

Although I am full of praise for them over the fact that they drafted Wood and Levitre (still hard to believe), the defense is still small, and the guys who are at least "supposed" to be stars will be playing way way off the ball. I can't see how they can possibly stop the run. Can you? Jauron had 4 years to correct this. Instead, he focused on defensive backs and ya know.....our secondary aint all that.

Actually the secondary is the strongest part of the defense. I just figured you;d give up on the DB harping because 1) there's nothing we can do about previous drafts, and 2) we spent 2 picks in the first 2 rounds on the lines, including 2 interior OL.

There's no point in speculating about the 2010 draft, because with any luck, jauron will be long gone by then.

Belichick lost at a slightly worse rate than Jauron before Mo Lewis nearly killed Drew Bledsoe. So was he a terrible loser who just got lucky with a HOF QB or a good coach all along? Would BB have made the playoffs with Losman or Cade McNown? Or would he have gone 13-3 with the deadly combo Shane Matthews and Jim Miller? Very debatable.

As for the replays, the call comes from the booth. And compare our last 4 drafts. They are really good especially considering the hoel we had to dig out from the TD error. Whitner hatred aside, those drafts have produce alot of really good young players.

I'm not going to say Jauron is a great coach, but he is far better than most here give him credit for. His teams are one of the most displinced in the league and the players love him. However players loving their coach can only get you so far if you lack talent, which the Bills have for 3 years. This is the most talented team he has ever had with a QB in the best position to succeed. No excuses but I feel this season will shut a lot of the Jauron critics up.

You can give a baker the best ingredients in the world, but he's still gotta bake the cake.

Lack of talent has nothing to do with jaurons scardey-cat schemes, horrific play-calling, and overall gameday blunders. On average, he himself has cost us 2-3 victories per season. There's no reason to believe these will change this year. 7/8 seasons with a losing record.

As i have said befoe, just because belicheat turned it around, doesn't mean jauron will. There are dozens of coaches who have had similar records to jauron who got fired and never got a job because they were crap. Brady turned into a HOFer, but that doesnt mean every 6th round qb is going to. Most likely, this is jauron's last season as an NFL head coach anywhere. No owner (that wants to consistently win and make the playoffs) will hire the guy to lead a team.

Actually the secondary is the strongest part of the defense. I just figured you;d give up on the DB harping because 1) there's nothing we can do about previous drafts, and 2) we spent 2 picks in the first 2 rounds on the lines, including 2 interior OL.

There's no point in speculating about the 2010 draft, because with any luck, jauron will be long gone by then.

a big part of the problem with DICK's philosophy on overstocking the DBs is that he does not take advantage of the talent he has accumulated there.

Why spend all the premium picks to get elite cover corners - and then play them 10 yards off the ball.

1. If he's so committed to the scheme - stop wasting elite picks on DBs whose talent is wasted. Instead - get DBs without press cover skills who can be obtained cheaply to play soft zones.

OR

2. Since he has the DBs, he should be playing a pressing defense with his CBs which will actually give his undersized DL more time to pressure the QB and generate some turnovers.

There is a huge disconnect between the players they obtain and how they will be used on the field.

Sorry, but I disagree. It is far a too simplistic outlook imo. Did you see Jauron with replays? How about the way he and Levy drafted? Does Belichick have a dumb system, or was he a proven winner?

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Belichick learned a great deal from his Cleveland HC time? He finished there in 95 and it wasn't until 00 that he was hired in NE.

BB is a jerk, but he wins. 102-39 in the regular season with NE and a career 15-4 in the playoffs. The notion that he's needed a QB is garbage as well. Brady was an untested 2nd year player in 01. He went 11-5 with Cassel. He got to the playoffs in 94 with Testaverde and Rypien.

I can't stand him anymore than most on this board, but he wins. He's a time tested proven winner.

You said the same thing last year. How did that work out for you?

Oh, that's right. Fire up the "no talent" excuse.

Sorry. The Bills had the second easiest schedule last year. Despite your obvious "hatred" for the Bills FO (3 years, and still not enough talent?), the Bills had the talent to capitalize on that schedule.

The talent was wasted by a poor coach.

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Belichick learned a great deal from his Cleveland HC time? He finished there in 95 and it wasn't until 00 that he was hired in NE.

BB is a jerk, but he wins. 102-39 in the regular season with NE and a career 15-4 in the playoffs. The notion that he's needed a QB is garbage as well. Brady was an untested 2nd year player in 01. He went 11-5 with Cassel. He got to the playoffs in 94 with Testaverde and Rypien.

I can't stand him anymore than most on this board, but he wins. He's a time tested proven winner.

And CHEATER.

Belichick went 5-11 and was 0-2 in his first seasons in NE. Then Brady entered the picture. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/BeliBi0.htm A HoFer saved his career.

Honest question: what's more impressive making the playoffs with Testaverde (very successful career) amd Rypien (former Super MVP) or going 13-3 with Shane Matthews and Jim Miller?

It's one thing to bash Edwards, but you guys leave Dennis Shaw alone.

He didn't exactly have an all-star team around him.

Is that a cheap shot at Bill "Earthquake" Enyart?

Them's fightin' words!

GO BILLS!!!

You said the same thing last year. How did that work out for you?

Oh, that's right. Fire up the "no talent" excuse.

Sorry. The Bills had the second easiest schedule last year. Despite your obvious "hatred" for the Bills FO (3 years, and still not enough talent?), the Bills had the talent to capitalize on that schedule.

The talent was wasted by a poor coach.

No, I didn't. Don't make things up.

Seriously, if the Bills make the playoffs, will you make an apology thread to DJ? Because I will admit if I'm wrong. I have a feeling you'll find some excuses to make. You probably a blast to tailgate with. :thumbsup:

It's one thing to bash Edwards, but you guys leave Dennis Shaw alone.

He didn't exactly have an all-star team around him.

yes, thank you. he was at least as good as edwards. and that is not a knock on edwards, who i also like.