It Really Is A Win Win Scenario This Year For Buffalo

As I understand your frustration, I dont think anyone can say anything about Peters at this point. It is unknown. As far as Winfield and Clements. You are incorrect. Neither of them have earned their (at the time) rediculous salaries. Winfield has come closer than Clements and is deserving of his contract now, but hes also unhappy and threatening to hold out until he gets more money. Who else would you like to throw into the mix? Spikes? McGahee? Fletcher? None of them have produced since they have been off this team. Yeah, sure they have lost some quality guys as well, but it sounds to me when looking at those names that we made the right choices. And Maybin maybe be undersized, and inexperienced but he was also projected as one of the best DE's in the draft. Time will tell on that one. With that said I hope that DJ gets the boot if he finishes anything short of a playoff birth.

I disagree when we're talking talent.. Clement and Winfield are far better on the field then their replacements. I'm not worried about money, all these guys are overpayed. The salaries , for the most part comes from TV , and it is equal. Ralph CHOOSES to be cheap, that's the problem. Is Peters overpaid ? probably , but he's far better than the stiff Walker? Even Dockery is probably better this year at least then the rookies that are PROJECTED to start.. Time will tell

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leach has no buyout clause and doubles as his own OC, saving Ralph big $$$$ - plus he's spot-on about everything from global warming to Madonna...

Mike Leach Talks Football, Global Warming, and Madonna

Uhh... Mike Leach runs a 5-wide shotgun college spread offense. First, it would never work in the NFL, second the Bills don't play in a dome or the south. I like Mike Leach - not as Bills HC.

Leach has no buyout clause and doubles as his own OC, saving Ralph big $$$$ - plus he's spot-on about everything from global warming to Madonna...

Mike Leach Talks Football, Global Warming, and Madonna

I would love for Mike Leach to come to Buffalo more than anyone, however, can he coach on a professional level. TE may fit his offensive system better than any of Texas Tech's historical QB's given TE's intelligence (which is needed in Leach's offense). The style could easily translate to the NFL level, however, as with great college coach's of the past, they can't make the transition. The one thing Leach has going for him compared to other college coaches is he wins with less as UT and A&M take all of the good local players. I have not ruled out DJ yet, but he is on a very short leash.

I disagree when we're talking talent.. Clement and Winfield are far better on the field then their replacements. I'm not worried about money, all these guys are overpayed. The salaries , for the most part comes from TV , and it is equal. Ralph CHOOSES to be cheap, that's the problem. Is Peters overpaid ? probably , but he's far better than the stiff Walker? Even Dockery is probably better this year at least then the rookies that are PROJECTED to start.. Time will tell

I agree that talent wise Winfield and Clements are/were better then their replacements at the time. That still doesnt mean we should have paid Clements $80million. That contract is rediculous even now. Just because something is better that doesnt mean you should overpay for it. Peters was good, Ill agree with you. And we just tossed him out the door. That doesnt mean he wanted to, or was happy here. He admitted that he didnt care last year and he was playing not to get hurt after the 2nd half of the season. All this from a guy that didnt show up until 2 days before the season started.

So would he be worth the money? sure....if he just would have shown that he wanted to be here, and he was part of this team he might still be. Evans and Schobel both wanted more money when their contracts were up. They handled it with class and like real team players, and thats why they got large increases at the time.

And you cant throw it out there that anyone is better than the line that we have now because nobody has seen them play a single down. They were horrible with what they had last year. Dockery was next to a Pro-Bowl LT and still played like crap. Or was it him that made Peters give up 12+ sacks? The only way I see it is the entire left side of that line sucked. Im glad their both gone and welcome in the new OL. They cant get much worse than they were in 08.

Uhh... Mike Leach runs a 5-wide shotgun college spread offense. First, it would never work in the NFL, second the Bills don't play in a dome or the south. I like Mike Leach - not as Bills HC.

Expect to see more elements of the spread in the NFL in coming seasons. Jauron is not exactly known as an innovator, but don't be at all surprised to see someone like Belicheat* commit to the spread.

Said Belicheat* two years ago, when a writer asked if the spread would ever find its way to the N.F.L....

“I don’t know. There’s times in the N.F.L. where you see just a quarterback in the backfield. There are situations like that. But I mean, you watch the Pac-10 and a lot of times you can watch a whole game and not see two backs in the backfield. It’s empty or it’s the quarterback back there with one other back and three, four, five extended receivers."

link

The Spread Offense: Coming to an NFL Franchise Near You?

Said Florida's Urban Meyers last month...

"Right now, we've been contacted by a minimum of three NFL teams who want to implement a spread element," Meyer said last month. "They're going to do it."

link

One of the best articles (from 2005) I've read about Leach's offensive philosophy stated...

"Leach and his offense are approaching the natural end of a path football strategy has been taking for 50 years. They are testing a limit. Synergy, in Leach's view, doesn't come from mixing runs with passes but from throwing the ball everywhere on the field, to every possible person allowed to catch a ball. "Our notion of balance," Leach says, "is that the five guys who catch the ball all gain 1,000 yards in the season." (The Indianapolis Colts last season became only the fourth team in N.F.L. history to have three receivers gain more than 1,000 yards in a single season.) The trouble with running plays, as Leach sees it, is that they clump players together on the field - by putting two of them, during a handoff, in the same spot with the ball. "I've thought about going a whole season without calling a single running play," Leach says, only half-joking. ...E. J. Whitley, an offensive lineman, says: 'If you're on this offense, you expect to score. Most offenses on fourth down are coming off the field. On fourth down we expect a play to be called. Because we haven't scored yet.' "

link

Leach will be an NFL HC in the near future, and a very successful one, IMO. I only hope it's with the Bills.

As for the dome/southern climate, I think it makes more of a difference who your QB is than where he plays, and I would agree that the jury is still out on Trent Edwards and cold weather.

I would love for Mike Leach to come to Buffalo more than anyone, however, can he coach on a professional level. TE may fit his offensive system better than any of Texas Tech's historical QB's given TE's intelligence (which is needed in Leach's offense). The style could easily translate to the NFL level, however, as with great college coach's of the past, they can't make the transition. The one thing Leach has going for him compared to other college coaches is he wins with less as UT and A&M take all of the good local players. I have not ruled out DJ yet, but he is on a very short leash.

Leach has not been made by his system- I am sure he can coach a less complicated pro system

Well do you rob Peter to pay Paul? Do you give a big money contract to Peters and have a good LT who is over paid. Or do you trade him for picks that you use to get Wood and Levitre who cost less and fill 2 less valuable spots on the offensive line?

Same goes for Clements and Winfield do you over pay for them and than be unable to sign a guy like Mitchelle or trade for Stroud.

Now I agree that at some point you have to sign one of these Defensive backs because you can't keep spinning your wheels. We passed on Greer and McGee is on his last year. I think we need to sign McGee long term we can't spend yet another pick on a Corner. But you have to get value for what you have and know when to hold and know when to let them walk away.

And if Wood and Levitre are worse than Dockery last year than I would be shocked because even if Wood and Levitre are average they are better than what Dockery was last year.

Well do you rob Peter to pay Paul? Do you give a big money contract to Peters and have a good LT who is over paid. Or do you trade him for picks that you use to get Wood and Levitre who cost less and fill 2 less valuable spots on the offensive line?

Same goes for Clements and Winfield do you over pay for them and than be unable to sign a guy like Mitchelle or trade for Stroud.

Now I agree that at some point you have to sign one of these Defensive backs because you can't keep spinning your wheels. We passed on Greer and McGee is on his last year. I think we need to sign McGee long term we can't spend yet another pick on a Corner. But you have to get value for what you have and know when to hold and know when to let them walk away.

And if Wood and Levitre are worse than Dockery last year than I would be shocked because even if Wood and Levitre are average they are better than what Dockery was last year.

I agree with everything except with signing McGee. I think he is getting old and its showing. Hes been bruised up this past year and was taken off of KR because of it. That doesnt mean he wouldnt have lost it anyway (because McKelvin is sweat) but he did lose it. I like McGee a lot, im just not sure I want to dish out the money to him either. IMO Greer was the one to keep, hes 2 or 3 years younger, and just entering his prime. If we have to pay McGee more than what Greer got with N.O. then I say let him go. Id like to throw in a disclaimer about how if Corner and or Youboty play like crap then to keep McGee.

Leach has not been made by his system- I am sure he can coach a less complicated pro system

I would agree that Leach can probably coach very well at the NFL level.

And regarding the 'system', says Coach Leach...

"Anybody that uses the word “system” right off the top, you know you’re talking to a bad football coach. Because anybody who says anything like that doesn’t understand the point of coaching. Anybody who calls plays has a system, so I assume their team calls plays, if they don’t they probably ought to start. I can’t think of any team that doesn’t call plays, so right there you have a system. This system quarterback stuff, all the guy is doing is acknowledging that he’s not a very good football coach because his quarterback doesn’t have the success that maybe (Cody) Hodges does or Graham Harrell or whoever; they want to call him a system quarterback and actually what they’re saying is they’re a bad football coach. The other thing that amazes me about it is in the NFL, most of the quarterbacks are playing in an offense that's similar to ours. They spread out, they throw it most of the time, and they operate from the shotgun, which is similar to what we do. So that immediately fits with the NFL model better than most of the quarterbacks from other systems....Peyton Manning, how often is he under center? How about Denver? How about Seattle? How about Green Bay? How about Philadelphia? You can go on and on. It’s a bunch of foolishness. It's people afraid to think for themselves is what it is, and so what they do is they sit around and parrot what’s been infused in their head. I think just by definition, if you’re going to coach something you’re required to think, you’re required to teach. I think that failure to do that, how can you possibly call yourself a very good coach or a very good organization if you can't understand things that fundamental?"

link

Gotta love the guy. He'd be a helluva lot more entertaining to have around here than DJ.

(Of course, I take it all back if DJ and our Bills go 19 and 0 baby!!! :thumbsup: )

I agree with everything except with signing McGee. I think he is getting old and its showing. Hes been bruised up this past year and was taken off of KR because of it. That doesnt mean he wouldnt have lost it anyway (because McKelvin is sweat) but he did lose it. I like McGee a lot, im just not sure I want to dish out the money to him either. IMO Greer was the one to keep, hes 2 or 3 years younger, and just entering his prime. If we have to pay McGee more than what Greer got with N.O. then I say let him go. Id like to throw in a disclaimer about how if Corner and or Youboty play like crap then to keep McGee.

Well I think you have to consider paying up money for McGee. Unless we come off of a disastrous season where we are rebuilding anyway than I think you can't give McGee up and be left with a hole at Corner. Even if McKelvin develops into a shut down guy we still need another guy opposite him. Now I would have kept Greer but he is gone and you have to pay up to keep McGee if we are a team that feels next year it can compete. Because our draft picks next year are going to be valuable

Now if you want to say a guy like Corner, Youboty, or Ellis Lankester could take over for McGee next year than that is going to be a option. Either McGee gets paid or you have the answer on your roster you can't spend a pick on another corner.

Well I think you have to consider paying up money for McGee. Unless we come off of a disastrous season where we are rebuilding anyway than I think you can't give McGee up and be left with a hole at Corner. Even if McKelvin develops into a shut down guy we still need another guy opposite him. Now I would have kept Greer but he is gone and you have to pay up to keep McGee if we are a team that feels next year it can compete. Because our draft picks next year are going to be valuable

Now if you want to say a guy like Corner, Youboty, or Ellis Lankester could take over for McGee next year than that is going to be a option. Either McGee gets paid or you have the answer on your roster you can't spend a pick on another corner.

I like your thinking here. Personally, I think they have picked those corners in the past 2 years because they have been planning on McGee leaving. Personally I think they wanted to keep Greer but he became too good and wanted more than what they were willing to pay. I think they really like Corner, hope that Youboty can finally stay healthy and bank on possibly the 2 rookies to move into back up roles by next year. They also have Florence, Whitner, and Byrd who can all play at the nickle spot if needed and plug the safeties in just about any DB position with the exception of the starting CB spots.

So thats my take on it. Youll see McGee gone, and Corner/Youbody manning the 2nd position along side McKelvin. Then youve got plug and play players at the other positions in the backfield. I think they have far too many needs at other positions to be paying McGee big money that hes most likely going to want when you could be signing DE's, or DT's to FA contracts. It will all depend on how things look this year. I like McGee, but I wouldnt have a heart attack if he was gone as long as Corner is what they think he is.

Im leaving work for the day, we can continue this tomorrow if you want.

It truly amazes me how sports fans (not just Bills fans) gauge coaching aptitude. We demonize Jauron for being modest and restrained in his demeanor, but how many would be hailing him as "the silent genius" or "the professor", etc. if the Bills were more successful? Meanwhile all those clamoring for Jauron to bark and yell at his players quickly forget the examples of Tom Coughlin and, outside of the NFL, Bobby Knight. Coaches with an overly aggressive style can be quick to be lambasted by the media and fans alike. I personally prefer Jauron's style-these are full grown men playing professional football for millions of dollars. Some of them are overgrown children, but there's no reason to treat everyone on your roster that way. Jauron has made some boneheaded coaching moves, but I think it's erroneous to take jabs at the way he composes himself and acts towards his players.

The main knock on Jauron for me is not being able to adequately employ the talent at hand on a consistent basis. On the one hand, the San Diego game last year was near perfect execution on all ends, and a fine coaching job. But I really do believe that once the injuries hit, Jauron has not been able to implement a winning scheme with the remaining players, something that is a HUGE part of coaching. The Jets game (with the Losman fumble) and the Niners game stand out as prime examples. Granted, the play calling is on Turk's shoulders, but Jauron has to recognize that JP Losman should not be throwing the ball with the game on the line. If and when we have injuries next year, Jauron must be better at crisis management...especially if Trent goes down again.

Honestly, the key to winning in the NFL is talent. The best coaches can take the talent they do have and come up with a scheme to complement it, even if it is less than adequate. I truly believe that the Bills will play at a high level if their top end talent is healthy and able to play. That being said, I doubt Jauron's ability to handle change, in light of injuries, and work around the remaining talent on the team. If we do replace Dick next year, I would want a coach who is able to deal with injuries and still find ways to win. But in the meantime, I don't think it's helpful to criticize Jauron's "demeanor"-even if he does look like Skeletor :thumbsup:

It truly amazes me how sports fans (not just Bills fans) gauge coaching aptitude. We demonize Jauron for being modest and restrained in his demeanor, but how many would be hailing him as "the silent genius" or "the professor", etc. if the Bills were more successful? Meanwhile all those clamoring for Jauron to bark and yell at his players quickly forget the examples of Tom Coughlin and, outside of the NFL, Bobby Knight. Coaches with an overly aggressive style can be quick to be lambasted by the media and fans alike. I personally prefer Jauron's style-these are full grown men playing professional football for millions of dollars. Some of them are overgrown children, but there's no reason to treat everyone on your roster that way. Jauron has made some boneheaded coaching moves, but I think it's erroneous to take jabs at the way he composes himself and acts towards his players.

The main knock on Jauron for me is not being able to adequately employ the talent at hand on a consistent basis. On the one hand, the San Diego game last year was near perfect execution on all ends, and a fine coaching job. But I really do believe that once the injuries hit, Jauron has not been able to implement a winning scheme with the remaining players, something that is a HUGE part of coaching. The Jets game (with the Losman fumble) and the Niners game stand out as prime examples. Granted, the play calling is on Turk's shoulders, but Jauron has to recognize that JP Losman should not be throwing the ball with the game on the line. If and when we have injuries next year, Jauron must be better at crisis management...especially if Trent goes down again.

Honestly, the key to winning in the NFL is talent. The best coaches can take the talent they do have and come up with a scheme to complement it, even if it is less than adequate. I truly believe that the Bills will play at a high level if their top end talent is healthy and able to play. That being said, I doubt Jauron's ability to handle change, in light of injuries, and work around the remaining talent on the team. If we do replace Dick next year, I would want a coach who is able to deal with injuries and still find ways to win. But in the meantime, I don't think it's helpful to criticize Jauron's "demeanor"-even if he does look like Skeletor :thumbsup:

Thoughtful post.

Honestly, the key to winning in the NFL is talent. The best coaches can take the talent they do have and come up with a scheme to complement it, even if it is less than adequate. I truly believe that the Bills will play at a high level if their top end talent is healthy and able to play. That being said, I doubt Jauron's ability to handle change, in light of injuries, and work around the remaining talent on the team. If we do replace Dick next year, I would want a coach who is able to deal with injuries and still find ways to win. But in the meantime, I don't think it's helpful to criticize Jauron's "demeanor"-even if he does look like Skeletor :P

You hit that out of the park. We need more reason on the board. Please post more. :thumbsup:

Give me that short, cocky guy with the hole in his baseball cap from Tampa.....

You mean the guy who's team lost 4 games with their playoff hopes on the line, including at home to the Raiders? The one who's players basically came out and said they hated after he was fired?

If Buffalo makes the playoffs, everyone is happy and all is well in here. If they don't, Jauron is gone and the list of coaches available has never been stronger. Even though Ralph has not hired a big name in the past, you have to believe that with this list, SOMEONE is coming here.

I just don't see a Bobby April or someone already here taking over (too much uncertainty after too much losing). Of course there are a couple on this list we have no shot at but hey, always looking at the bright side. Either way, this season is going to have some good news at the end of it.....

Shanahan

Cowher

Schottenheimer

Gruden

Holmgren

its no sure thing DJ will be fired if the Bills dont make the playoffs...we all thought that last year and look what happened...Ralph would rather let him coach then pay him not to and with 2 years left after this year I fully expect DJ to remain the Bills head coach past this season

If Buffalo makes the playoffs, everyone is happy and all is well in here. If they don't, Jauron is gone and the list of coaches available has never been stronger. Even though Ralph has not hired a big name in the past, you have to believe that with this list, SOMEONE is coming here.

I just don't see a Bobby April or someone already here taking over (too much uncertainty after too much losing). Of course there are a couple on this list we have no shot at but hey, always looking at the bright side. Either way, this season is going to have some good news at the end of it.....

Shanahan

Cowher

Schottenheimer

Gruden

Holmgren

your logic is faulty

Dick has 3 years left on his contract and Ralph will not eat the money.

It is clear that after going 2-8 and keeping his job, Dick has a free pass no matter what his record in 2009.

and you think Ralph will pay a big name coach -ha ha :thumbsup:

Shanahan

Cowher

Schottenheimer

Gruden

Holmgren

No evidence of this at all. 7-9 or better, DJ stays until end of his contract extension.

Shanahan

Cowher

Schottenheimer

Gruden

Holmgren

Again, you and others are dreaming if you think this is even a remote possibility. Firstly in 50 years, Ralph has never paid top dollar for a coach.

Secondly he will never again relinquish executive authority to one person as he did with Tom Donahoe. The top coaches these days typically insist on total or top authority regarding football matters. The Bills run a consensus model.

This is what your dream coaches made last year:

Shanahan $6 million

Gruden $4 million

Holmgren $8 million

Dick Jauron made $2 million

How much do you think Cowher, a Super Bowl winning coach, will get from a team if he returns to the league? If he states his intention to return don't you think there'd be a bidding war for his services seeing as anywhere from 4-7 head coaches get chopped every year? C'mon now.