6 Rookies Starting

When was the last time a team went to the playoffs with 6 rookies starting (Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, Nic Harris). I know that Nelson & Harris aren't for sure starting, but they could.

When was the last time a team went to the playoffs with 6 rookies starting (Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, Nic Harris). I know that Nelson & Harris aren't for sure starting, but they could.

Maybin hopefully too... because the alternative, more Denney/Kelsay and Shobel on the ends, is tough to stomach. These guys have shown us their best... and it ain't that great.

Of course, one other potential Bills starter, Brown, will be starting... for another team.

Nelson I like his chances too; we really don't have good TE potential I think Shouman again has shown us his best, and Fine, well, still upm in the air but it would not surprise me if Nelson beat him out.

What is scary is that the 2 rookies seem to be a lock on the starting O-line without showing anything at all yet. What if they are NOT the answer, who do we turn to then?

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if wood & levitre are our only day 1 starters.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait several games before we even see both of them. And I think you're right, the others are less likely to be starters.

Maybin hopefully too... because the alternative, more Denney/Kelsay and Shobel on the ends, is tough to stomach. These guys have shown us their best... and it ain't that great.

Of course, one other potential Bills starter, Brown, will be starting... for another team.

Nelson I like his chances too; we really don't have good TE potential I think Shouman again has shown us his best, and Fine, well, still upm in the air but it would not surprise me if Nelson beat him out.

What is scary is that the 2 rookies seem to be a lock on the starting O-line without showing anything at all yet. What if they are NOT the answer, who do we turn to then?

Hope you're right, but everything I've seen from TBD says that they aren't trusting Nelson to do any in-line blocking. So that would mean that the best we can expect from Nelson this year is to play in spots split out from the line. After he puts on a bit more weight and learns more about blocking, we might see him starting somewhere down the road.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if wood & levitre are our only day 1 starters.

I'd add Byrd. I see Maybin rotating-in heavily, Nelson playing in 2-TE sets, and Harris maybe starting next year, unless he has a great camp, and the same goes for Ashlee Palmer.

I don't think Maybin, Byrd, Nelson and Harris will be opening day starters...

Actually even Levitre may not be ready for the switch from tackle to guard. THe only person I see making the starting XI in Foxboro on Monday night will be the guy on my picture ---- Eric Wood.

Maybin probably wont be big enough this year for full time status. He'd have to terrorize the opposing teams during the preseason for him to get a shot at RE. Otherwise, he'll be obvious passing downs, and maybe also at linebacker in those typse of situations. Byrd will get a shot only if he can catch up with the other guys enough that his talent - if it is that much greater than the rest of the group - can cover the rest of the ground. If he shows consistently that he'll be a threat to intercept, I think they'll throw him out there, because they need more turnovers. Otherwise, Nelson wont be an every down factor. He'll see some time in passing downs, maybe out wide, too, but he wont be out there too much. Harris might not see the field at all except as a reserve. Our two guards will probably be the only season starters out of the bunch. Next year, though, or even late this year, we could see four or five, max, starting from this years crop.

I would doubt Nic Harris is going to start. I don't think think that Maybin will be used in a full time role as well. I also doubt Nelson will be used in a full time role either. So Wood and Levitre will both be starters and Byrd might be a starter. So we know that 2 rookies will defiantly be starting while 1 other might start. Two others are likely to see some playing time in reduced roles.

So to sum up we are counting on 2-3 starting while 2 others will be part time hardly 6 starters. But your point of we might be counting too much on rookies is a good one.

Regardless of how many rookies may start for the Bills this year, there is at least one precedent where a team leaned heavily on rookies and actually won a Super Bowl. That was the case with the 1981 San Francisco 49ers.

Their defensive backfield consisted of Dwight Hicks who was a 3rd year player, and three rookies, Ronnie Lott, Carlton Williamson, and Eric Wright.

Three rookies in the defensive backfield and they won a Super Bowl.

Probable starters

1. Woods

2. Levitre

50/50 starter

3. Nic Harris

Not likely starter

4. Jairus Byrd

5. Maybin

Highly unlikely starter

6. Nelson

Those are in my view, the most to least likely starters.

Probable starters

1. Woods

2. Levitre

50/50 starter

3. Nic Harris

Not likely starter

4. Jairus Byrd

5. Maybin

Highly unlikely starter

6. Nelson

Those are in my view, the most to least likely starters.

The crazy part here is that literally all six of these guys may not play the position they played in college in the pros.