If Tra Thomas Gets Cut By Jax..............

H2o

Barring a training camp holdout. The Jaguars will try to avoid a situation like Derrick Harvey's last year. Had they known Monroe -- very arguably the top pass protector in this class -- would slip to No. 8 overall, they likely would've passed on Thomas in free agency. It's even possible he'll be cut in August.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Tra Thomas had an excellent year for Philly last season. He is up there at 34 (35 in November), but I think he would be a better option than Walker at LT.

Tra Thomas had an excellent year for Philly last season. He is up there at 34 (35 in November), but I think he would be a better option than Walker at LT.

I wouldn't mind having him but people need to cut Walker a bit of slack until we actually see him in action. He more than held his own last season at the position and next to Hangartner is our smartest OLman. He doesn't have the quickest feet in the world but those long arms and excellent technique serve him well.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't mind having him but people need to cut Walker a bit of slack until we actually see him in action. He more than held his own last season at the position and next to Hangartner is our smartest OLman. He doesn't have the quickest feet in the world but those long arms and excellent technique serve him well.

GO BILLS!!!

TO me the issue isn't how good/bad of a year Walker is going to have at LT....it is that he was playing very well at RT.

I hate moving pieces when they are already a good fit.

TO me the issue isn't how good/bad of a year Walker is going to have at LT....it is that he was playing very well at RT.

I hate moving pieces when they are already a good fit.

I hear what you're saying and I'm glad that you, unlike many around here, actuall appreciated his work at RT. In 2007, he graded out as our most consistent OLman. As for the position switch this year they moved him last off-season for the ENTIRE offseason and he did very well filling in for Peters. It's not like it's a sudden thing. I'd be more concened with Butler moving out to RT but he's more naturally suited for that position anyway.

One other observation re the Oline. The three new starters in the middle. Everyone looks to them to improve the run game. But they'll be MORE important in the passing game. Trent will not have that collapsing pocket as often because these guys are maulers and simply won't be pushed back into the pocket as often as Fowler and Preston. Our tackles WON'T have to cheat inside as much to compensate as a result.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised this season. For the most part. Not saying there won't be growing pains in the form of missed assignents and just adjusting to the pro game. But I gaurantee, injuries notwithstanding, that Wilfork, Jenkins, and Ferguson are going to KNOW this isn't Fowler and Preston coming at them. I predict Wilfork is going to get a rude awakening by Mr. Wood on opening night.

GO BILLS!!!

As you said Thomas had a GOOD year last year. It is CRAZY to think the Jags would cut him. I'm sure they gave him a NICE signing bonus.

1- I doubt they are going to cut him BUT they do have Eugene Monroe at that position and they drafted another tackle to take the RT position so its not a impossible situation.

2- If he was cut would he come to Buffalo? Would another team more ready to compete be a better option for the 34 soon to be 35 year old tackle (Also its likely we won't give him a big offer if we were interested).

3- Would we want him? I have a feeling that while he would be a upgrade over a guy like Walker but is that enough for the coaching staff to want him? Now the popular theory is to add a LT and move Walker back to RT but do the coaching staff want to do that?

So if the Line was to be Tra Thomas-Wood-Hangardner-Butler-Walker I think that would result in two issues for the coaching staff. One they want to see both Wood and Levitre starting this year. Two You have to move Butler back to RG and I think the coaching staff wants Butler at RT for the long term.

Basically I think the coaching staff wants to keep the Unit of Levitre-Hangardner-Wood-Butler playing as a unit for a long time. So I don't think they would want to go back to Walker at RT. Than I don't think they want to cut Walker at LT and replace him with Tra Thomas because if Thomas at his age gets hurt it means we are stuck with Kirk Chambers or Bell at LT.

Simply put I think they are going to see what Langston Walker has at LT than if he fails replace him with Bell. They don't want to reshuffle the line again and I don't think they want to cut Walker for Thomas. Personally I would cut or bench Walker and take Tra Thomas protecting Trents blind side for this year.

I don't know how much Thomas has left (unlike Runyan and Jones who as I said, are done). If there is something, exploring a trade would be a good idea.

And this is another reason why the draft should be held before FA. You don't know who you will get in the draft, while you at least have an idea who you can get in FA.

I hear what you're saying and I'm glad that you, unlike many around here, actuall appreciated his work at RT. In 2007, he graded out as our most consistent OLman. As for the position switch this year they moved him last off-season for the ENTIRE offseason and he did very well filling in for Peters. It's not like it's a sudden thing. I'd be more concened with Butler moving out to RT but he's more naturally suited for that position anyway.

One other observation re the Oline. The three new starters in the middle. Everyone looks to them to improve the run game. But they'll be MORE important in the passing game. Trent will not have that collapsing pocket as often because these guys are maulers and simply won't be pushed back into the pocket as often as Fowler and Preston. Our tackles WON'T have to cheat inside as much to compensate as a result.

I think we'll be pleasantly surprised this season. For the most part. Not saying there won't be growing pains in the form of missed assignents and just adjusting to the pro game. But I gaurantee, injuries notwithstanding, that Wilfork, Jenkins, and Ferguson are going to KNOW this isn't Fowler and Preston coming at them. I predict Wilfork is going to get a rude awakening by Mr. Wood on opening night.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not knocking Walker. I thought he played well in Peters' absence last season as well. I just hink that Tra is a better option if he's available because for one, LT is his natural position and secondly, he's shown he can play the position at an "All Pro" level. One could argue that he had one of his best seasons a year ago. Do I think we will try to sign him if he becomes available? Not really because I believe that they're sold on whom they have at each position and they want Wood and Levitre on the field early this year.

if we can get him cheap i say do it, most teams ready to contend usually don't have questions reguarding their O-Line. Having an All-Pro like Tra Thomas around can't hurt and I think can make guys like Wood & Levitre work harder and learn more

I'm not knocking Walker. I thought he played well in Peters' absence last season as well. I just hink that Tra is a better option if he's available because for one, LT is his natural position and secondly, he's shown he can play the position at an "All Pro" level. One could argue that he had one of his best seasons a year ago. Do I think we will try to sign him if he becomes available? Not really because I believe that they're sold on whom they have at each position and they want Wood and Levitre on the field early this year.

Not for one second did I get the feeling you were knocking Walker. And like I said, I wouldn't mind having Thomas. But many around here have already condemned Walker without a down being played and the evidence to the contrary that he can't cut it at LT.

GO BILLS!!!

Not for one second did I get the feeling you were knocking Walker. And like I said, I wouldn't mind having Thomas. But many around here have already condemned Walker without a down being played and the evidence to the contrary that he can't cut it at LT.

GO BILLS!!!

I am not confident in Walker but I do think its possible he can hold down the fort at the position this year. I am not sure but did Walker play LT in Oakland and he wasn't very good at it? Walker doesn't inspire confidence but he isn't a guy that doesn't have a chance at being a respectable player.

Last year he showed that he can be decent at LT but how he will favor over better faster competition remains to be seen and from what we see he doesn't inspire confidence to hold up over the long haul.

We dont need anymore O line players...we are deep now. If the staff didnt feel Walker could handle LT one of the dozens of options to fill that hole would have been taken.

Seriously, the only people worried about the LT position is this board. Honestly, it wont take much to play better than Peters did for us last year, and Walker is more than capable. And thats not even taking into account our young guys who have a lot of promise at LT.

We are fine, the last thing we need is to add an aging vet for a one year stop gap that keeps another young promising player off the field when they need to get in there and get game experience. This guy isnt going to take us from a Wild Card team to likely Super Bowl winner if he signs. Not to mention, that would be two teams who didnt want him, one of which is heavily dependent on the O Line for their offense to function since they dont have enough talent at the skill positions to over come a struggling line.

So just say NO! I cant wait until the season is half way through and everyone on here freaking out about the LT position is talking about how great our line has been and then makes claims they "knew it would be and said so in July"...lol

So let me officially go on record...by mid season our O Line will be considerably better this season than it was last season with the current guys we have on our roster.

We dont need anymore O line players...we are deep now. If the staff didnt feel Walker could handle LT one of the dozens of options to fill that hole would have been taken.

Seriously, the only people worried about the LT position is this board. Honestly, it wont take much to play better than Peters did for us last year, and Walker is more than capable. And thats not even taking into account our young guys who have a lot of promise at LT.

We are fine, the last thing we need is to add an aging vet for a one year stop gap that keeps another young promising player off the field when they need to get in there and get game experience. This guy isnt going to take us from a Wild Card team to likely Super Bowl winner if he signs. Not to mention, that would be two teams who didnt want him, one of which is heavily dependent on the O Line for their offense to function since they dont have enough talent at the skill positions to over come a struggling line.

So just say NO! I cant wait until the season is half way through and everyone on here freaking out about the LT position is talking about how great our line has been and then makes claims they "knew it would be and said so in July"...lol

So let me officially go on record...by mid season our O Line will be considerably better this season than it was last season with the current guys we have on our roster.

While I agree with your assessment entirely, I just want to make sure your analysis of Walker isn't some sort of misplaced loyalty to PAC-10 players.

GO BILLS!!!

I wish I shared your optimistic outlook for this season as far as the O-line. I like the fact that they are younger and look like they can play with each other for a long time. Don't get me wrong I like the unit but they need time to gel and adjust they might make some mistakes and play badly at times during the first 8 or so games of the season. I think that they will be a improving unit over the course of the season and will show signs of geling into a unit.

As far as Walker I think he can play OK but might need help against better pass rushers (But most LT's need that help).

:thumbsup: Let me go on record with you.

Guest dog14787
I like the 5 starters we have now, but if he is there come august, I would sign him to help rotate with the tackles. Keep our line fresh

Well Hello there my favorite Avatar :thumbsup: ( sign him and keep em fresh, I hear ya)

While I agree with your assessment entirely, I just want to make sure your analysis of Walker isn't some sort of misplaced loyalty to PAC-10 players.

GO BILLS!!!

LOL...nope...played in the Pac 10 and live in So Cal, but could care less where a player came from...good question though, I know a lot of Pac 10 homers here...hahaha