Rookies That Are Showing Well In Camp

H2o

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...gn=email_NL0626

Pencilled in at starting SLB? Wonder why he's not getting reps at DE with the Skins lack of talent at the position?

What? Follow in his path? What? Not sure about no Redskins, but I'll tell ya what- why don't you keep your preachy stuff outta here. I see ya been on here for awhile and I respect that, but we're here to talk about the Bills, not follow no damn paths. I done whooped Jake the Snake's ass already when he started talkin about John 3:16 back in '97. As far as our rookies, I'll tell ya I like this Byrd kid, think he's got a lot of guts and that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold 3:16 said so.

If you read any of the article, you'd know exactly what it means.

C.Biscuit is exactly correct - and yes I read the article.

All of this means nothing yet. It is a bunch of hype that is not worth anything. Until games start and you see what these guys really have when they are banging on the field nobody knows how good these guys will be. Every year there are "can't miss" players drafted who end up sucking and every year there is some no-name come from nowhere guy that jumps out. Lets at least get to the regular season before we annoint anyone drafted this year as a "good" or "great" player.

Mini-camp is worthless.

Exactly. You have to take all of these "reports" coming out right now with a grain of salt. According to many, Ellis Lanskter has been the most impressive rookie at our camp. Raise your hand if you think that he's going to be making the most noise of the group in a couple months.

Im still not understanding why Washington is moving him to LB when they have a need at DE. Why change a guys position if you dont need too? And if they wanted to draft a LB why didnt you take a guy like Cushing who was still on the board?

Exactly. You have to take all of these "reports" coming out right now with a grain of salt. According to many, Ellis Lanskter has been the most impressive rookie at our camp. Raise your hand if you think that he's going to be making the most noise of the group in a couple months.

I'll take a little exception to this Knockout. I think non-contact workouts are still a good indication of the skills and progress of offensive and defensive skill position players. So with regard to Lankster, he was making plays in the passing game continuously through OTAs and minicamp. This tells me that he probably has good instincts and/or good football IQ and is picking up the defense quickly. In addition he had several interceptions and there's plenty of good DBs who can't catch the ball when the ball is thrown to them. So he seems to have really good ball skills. IMO, this is significant.

I will agree with you that barring injury, Lankster will probably be buried on the depth chart this year, but his performance so far is a very positive sign as far as his career prospects go IMO.

I also agree with the general idea that linemen cannot really be evaluated until the hitting begins (Orakpo, Brown, Maybin).

What? Follow in his path? What? Not sure about no Redskins, but I'll tell ya what- why don't you keep your preachy stuff outta here. I see ya been on here for awhile and I respect that, but we're here to talk about the Bills, not follow no damn paths. I done whooped Jake the Snake's ass already when he started talkin about John 3:16 back in '97. As far as our rookies, I'll tell ya I like this Byrd kid, think he's got a lot of guts and that's the bottom line cause Stone Cold 3:16 said so.

:D ........................................... :D

Brian Orakpo remains penciled in as the starting SAM linebacker for the Redskins, according to beat writer Paul Tenorio.

There had been doubts about the decision to have a college end transfer to linebacker in a 4-3 defense, but the 'Skins are following through with the plan. Orakpo will stay at linebacker on early downs and move to defensive end in obvious passing situations.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsi...redskinsinsider

I don't understand this move much at all, but we are talking about the Redskins.

Orakpo played at Texas. I doubt he will be a GOOD NFL player.

Nathan Vasher, Aaron Ross, Derrick Johnson, Shaun Rogers, Roy Williams (WR), Justin Blalock, Cedric Griffin, Michael Griffin, Casey Hampton, Priest Holmes, Quinten Jammer, Earl Campbell (HOF), and Bobby Layne (HOF). All of this mess that people try to pin to the former Texas players can be pinned to players from EVERY university. They all have their flops, failures, and wierdos to go with the ones who succeed while living basically normal lives.

Mini-camp is worthless.

I disagree. Mini-camp can be very valuable for rookies and young players. It helps them to learn the terminology, get a feel for the plays, etc...which should help with their really comprehending the playbook before coming into camp. I'm sure there are other benefits, as well.

I agree it is worthless when it comes to making claims about who is doing well, and who isn't.

Mini-camp is worthless.

C.Biscuit is exactly correct

Not exactly.

On one hand, it doesn't mean that someone who looks impressive in shorts will look that way once they have to do contract drills, but, on the other hand, to actually be there and to begin to grasp your team's concepts is never a bad thing (see Russell, Jamarcus).

Not exactly.

On one hand, it doesn't mean that someone who looks impressive in shorts will look that way once they have to do contract drills, but, on the other hand, to actually be there and to begin to grasp your team's concepts is never a bad thing (see Russell, Jamarcus).

Add me the list of folks who disagree generally with the flat-out declaration made by C. Biscuit and a few others that minicamp is simply worthless.

To those fans who overfocus on simple assessment of an individual players skill I can see why they come to this false conclusion. Yet, as the Dean flatly states that building a TEAM is a lot more than simple player assessment, voluntary OTAs, and mandatory camp serves other purposes than simple player assessment which anyone who really understands what it takes to build a winning TEAM, the minicamps are not only useful but actually play a necessary role which are essential to the process.

Examples of a few of these benefits are:

1. Team building- perhaps one thing which is a huge benefit of the off-season camps is to get the players together as teamates so they can begin the process of getting to know each other and rely upon each other. The non-contact drills allows players to build something real which is often referred to as chemistry. Even without the hitting of real games the repetitive practices of drills makes for better play by the players.

2. Team building is not only just performed at the OTAs, but the practice of getting together in the cafeteria for players (particularly the rookies for the players to get to know each other.

3. Getting together (particularly by the rookies) without the immediate pressure of having to compete for jobs inherent in game performance makes these OTAs a better place to build team feeling and camaraderie without the heavy hand of competition on the field. It likely is in OTAs where the vets can build a relationship with the rookies where they help them out rather than simply compete with them for immediate job decisions,

4. It also is in OTAs where the vets introduce the rookies to doing things in a Bills methodolgy of being part of the TEAM.

5. There is a lot more that the coaches need to assess than simply how well a player plays. The also is the attitude displayed by the player in the weight room, the whirlpool, or just kidding around in the locker room are there to be assessed by the coaches.

6. Time and repetitions are essential to the rookies and FAs learning the plays and new terminology. The OTAs provide an opportunity for new players to become Bills and newly signed FAs to learn who is a true team leader and who is a jerk/

OTAs are essential.