Things you hate in a football broadcast.

Thank you. I am rather surprised I wasn't banned. You should have seen what ALMOST made it. Replace "tube in hand" with a new sentence "Lubed". I thought it read better, but I had to tone it down for the youngsters.

And, do, please, send it to any Pats* fans you know. Remind them of the "woofie-style", and ask them who, truly, is their daddy?

IT will be a Brady / Bruschi love fest except when the camera is on TO waiting for some antics.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my nephew down to Chautauqua Lake last summer to go fishing. Who do you think was at the boat livery renting a fishing boat at exactly the same time we were pulling up to the dock for bait? Yep it was the FOXSports Robot. I recognized him immediately but didn't want to approach him as I'm usually respectful of other people's privacy. But as we were walking by he asked if we'd had any luck fishing and we ended up talking for awhile. I found out that his family is from northwestern Pennsylvania and have had a place at Chautauqua for many years.

He was actually pretty cool talking about football with me and my nephew who is also a huge NFL fan. He also autographed my nephew's tackle box. It's easy to see someone on television and decide you don't like the guy for whatever reason (personally I'm not a big fan of robots) but it really puts things in a new perspective when you meet that person and they turn out to be really cool.

That is the funniest post I have ever read. Congrats.

Agree about the robots, ads over cheerleaders.

Disagree with anyone that disses Collinsworth. Maybe he's a little dorky, but his analysis of the game of football is vastly superior to anyone in the business.

Speaking of cliches, anyone want to bet that in the 4th quarter of the opening monday night game, the announcers won't be saying, "well to those of you who questioned whether or not Tom Brady is back, I think he answered with an emphatic 'yes' tonight," chuckle, chuckle...

Speaking of cliches, anyone want to bet that in that in the 4th quarter of the opening monday night game, the announcers won't be saying, "well to those of you who questioned whether or not Tom Brady is back, I think he answered with an emphatic 'yes' tonight," chuckle, chuckle...

If Brady lights up the scoreboard, yes I would expect to hear that line uttered. Hope we're kicking their butts though.

If the worst were to happen and they are beating our butts, they could have a cameo appearance by Bob Trumpy and Dick Enberg. Trump would be perfect for the part, big effin' dullard that he is. After he delivers the line and starts chuckling, Enberg could say "Oh My."

Deirdork the Dunce would deliver that line perfectly too. He is a master of corny and obvious joc(k)ular guffawing. Ha ha ha.

I took my nephew down to Chautauqua Lake last summer to go fishing. Who do you think was at the boat livery renting a fishing boat at exactly the same time we were pulling up to the dock for bait? Yep it was the FOXSports Robot. I recognized him immediately but didn't want to approach him as I'm usually respectful of other people's privacy. But as we were walking by he asked if we'd had any luck fishing and we ended up talking for awhile. I found out that his family is from northwestern Pennsylvania and have had a place at Chautauqua for many years.

He was actually pretty cool talking about football with me and my nephew who is also a huge NFL fan. He also autographed my nephew's tackle box. It's easy to see someone on television and decide you don't like the guy for whatever reason (personally I'm not a big fan of robots) but it really puts things in a new perspective when you meet that person and they turn out to be really cool.

I actually used to see him in Bemus Point from time to time at the Surf Club or the See-Zuhr House. Let me tell you what he/it can NOT hold it's liquor. Last time I saw him there, they threw him off the porch of the See-Zuhr House for leaking hydraulic fluid all over the place. I guess he and Conlan used to fish together out on ol' Chit-taw-kwaw lake back in the day when Shane was a local celeb and the robot was still just a part-time soft ice cream machine.

He IS a hell of a golfer though. I guess he played in the Italian-American Golf Tournament at Holiday Valley a couple weeks ago and did fairly well. (TomCat would have to verify that and I have not been home this summer). Again, too much liquor resulting in hydraulic leaks on the green and now Holiday Valley lost the grass on three of their greens.

Speaking of cliches, anyone want to bet that in the 4th quarter of the opening monday night game, the announcers won't be saying, "well to those of you who questioned whether or not Tom Brady is back, I think he answered with an emphatic 'yes' tonight," chuckle, chuckle...

The hearty rejoinder would be (Enberg): "To paraphrase Mark Twain, rumors of Brady's demise have been greatly exaggerated. chuckle, chuckle..." Then they could slap each others backs for being so clever. Not.

I actually used to see him in Bemus Point from time to time at the Surf Club or the See-Zuhr House. Let me tell you what he/it can NOT hold it's liquor. Last time I saw him there, they threw him off the porch of the See-Zuhr House for leaking hydraulic fluid all over the place. I guess he and Conlan used to fish together out on ol' Chit-taw-kwaw lake back in the day when Shane was a local celeb and the robot was still just a part-time soft ice cream machine.

He IS a hell of a golfer though. I guess he played in the Italian-American Golf Tournament at Holiday Valley a couple weeks ago and did fairly well. (TomCat would have to verify that and I have not been home this summer). Again, too much liquor resulting in hydraulic leaks on the green and now Holiday Valley lost the grass on three of their greens.

I'm sorry to hear of his alcohol relapse. I heard he'd had a lot of problems with alcohol early in his career although he was just sipping a can of energon when I met him. Hope he gets the upper hand on the adult beverages. Like I said he was pretty cool and I'm pulling for the guy/thing.

If Brady lights up the scoreboard, yes I would expect to hear that line uttered. Hope we're kicking their butts though.

If the worst were to happen and they are beating our butts, they could have a cameo appearance by Bob Trumpy and Dick Enberg. Trump would be perfect for the part, big effin' dullard that he is. After he delivers the line and starts chuckling, Enberg could say "Oh My."

Deirdork the Dunce would deliver that line perfectly too. He is a master of corny and obvious joc(k)ular guffawing. Ha ha ha.

Oh come on, Dick Enberg is awesome, the "oh my" is classic. We tend to revere the days of yore when it comes to sports, but we are lucky to have seen some of the best broadcasters- Michaels, Musberger, Enberg, Bob Cole, Jack Buck, Harry Kalas, Jon Miller, etc...

Oh come on, Dick Enberg is awesome, the "oh my" is classic. We tend to revere the days of yore when it comes to sports, but we are lucky to have seen some of the best broadcasters- Michaels, Musberger, Enberg, Bob Cole, Jack Buck, Harry Kalas, Jon Miller, etc...

He's a very nice man and a competent broadcaster too. A bit dull though. The thing I hold against him the most is that he was teamed with Merlin Olsen and Trumpy and I thought those guys were insufferably dull.

But Enberg is in that Jim McKay class of sportscaster, very classy and very competent. I'm just being irreverant really.

I have a couple specifics...

As a (at the time) Rob Johnson guy i hated any time RoboSack got put to the carpet and rolled around in pain like a 4 year old after a bee sting, they would cue the Doug Flutie in ballcap looking sullen shot. if he got up, put his helmet on and started throwing, i think you could actually hear the guys in the booth's pants getting tighter.

SuperBowl XXXIV Curt Warners wife.

Bills v Cowboys monday nighter and the constant cut to Jerry Jones in his box.

the rivers/cutler feud and the cut to one when the other does something good or bad. this happens any time there is a player feud but this is the most recent that has annoyed me.

Coming back from a commercial break at the start of the fourth quarter in which Brett Favre is within fourteen points(cut to Favre arms folded over chest and no helmet for a better closeup) and the commentators reminder that there is still a lot of time and that no game is over when "this guy" is lining up under center. I hate favre.

You beat me to it, but I can't stand Dan Dierdorf period!!!!!

yeah, I'll THIRD that. The other I can't stand is Joe Thiesman. I know he's not on there anymore, but my god, he is just a whiner and plain awful to listen to.

No emotion. That is why Gus Johnson is my favorite.

"Watch out...BANG! Rosssscoe Parrish down the sideline!!!!!!! Touch....!!!...down...BUFFALO!!!!!! NO FLAGS!!!!

Amen.

That's his call from the 2007 Opener against the Broncos, I believe.

I don't like the NBC them music that sounds like music from Star Wars.

I don't like that STUPID robot on FOX.

I don't like the respect Madden gets, considering he is a shell of his former self.

I don't likehow none of the announcers critique anymore. I watched an old 90's

game a few months ago, and loved how Bill Walsh actually critiqued the coaching

staffs and had some football sense.

I don't like those graphics for other shows.

I don't like how they advertise like "What a hit...now if you wan't to see another great hit

tune in Monday night for Everyone Loves Raymond!"

This isn't related to the broadcast team, but I don't like how a cornerback gets burned for

a 20 yard pass, tackles the guy, and gets up pounding his chest! Or the linebacker who

gets run over 10 yards downfield, happens to tackle the RB, and celebrates!

I don't like Jim Nantz.

I don't like how the studio team makes the games about them, and not the actual players playing.

Actually, I don't even watch the pre-game stuff anymore, just absolute mindless garbage.

I agree with the "not show the replay" thing. I hate it when they do "gamebreaks" on important plays and don't show replays. Or, when the do some dopey, sanctimonious BS instead of talking football. We want to watch the game, not some "feel good story". I will watch Lifetime if I want to see syrupy crap. And yeah, you have an hour of commercials minimum each game, there CBS, I think you can tell me about another crappy reality show in that time, and not during the game.

He's a very nice man and a competent broadcaster too. A bit dull though. The thing I hold against him the most is that he was teamed with Merlin Olsen and Trumpy and I thought those guys were insufferably dull.

But Enberg is in that Jim McKay class of sportscaster, very classy and very competent. I'm just being irreverant really.

Hate . . .

As others have mentioned, the fox robot--I knew he was a drunk--and touchdown, commercial break, kickoff touchback, commercial break, run over left side for two yards, end of quarter commercial break.

Trumpy. A slightly paraphrased quote from an early 1990's Bills game: "Steve Christie is from Canada. I LOVE Canada. I took my son fishing there once."

Enjoy . . .

Enberg, when he babbles nonsensically. A direct quote: "The Chiefs are really staking their thrust in the offense this year."

The way they treat the viewers as morons.

Just how many times do they need to describe what (for example) the red zone is. Oh look they've just coloured in that part of the field just in case I'm too stupid to understand their description :D

Guys. I do not button up the back. I know!!

Everything about NBC's non game broadcast. The pregame and halftime shows don't even show highlights of the games anymore. They do special interest pieces instead of showing the week's games or even previewing the night game. The NFL made a big mistake in not allowing NFL primetime to continue sunday nights.

Stopped back into this post for a moment. Two things:

1) Per my earlier post, the two idiots who abused "Untracked" (versus the appropriate 'On Track') are Keith Jackson and Dick Enberg. Thanks to those who'd mentioned Enberg and thus jogged my memory. Yes, they've won awards, and are icons in their trade.....but it's FUGGIN' "ON TRACK", YOU GODDAMN MORONS. NOT "UNTRACKED". (Still pissed).

2) Here's the real point of this post. I agree with essentially everything you've all posted. (Particularly that goddamn stoopid Fox Robot. Thank God the Bills are on CBS, and I don't have to watch that fecal surprise too often). The real bummerooski is that NOTHING WILL CHANGE. The self-absorbed statues of ear wax that make up the programming teams at CBS, NBC, Fox and ESPN are so confident that they know what's good for you - and, more importantly, what sells - that they couldn't give your dog's anal sacs about anything you've posted here.

Because they're not reading it.

And that's particularly disappointing, you know? And here's why. I remember a brief and shining moment in Rochester radio history about 15-18 years ago in which a station came to rise that actually played really, really good material. No, I can't remember the call letters. It was during that brief flowering of great music that ran from 1991-1995. Great alternative stuff. And they experimented with no commercials (well, only a few, anyway), and no idiotic DJs. It was so good that I remember reading an ad in the Classifieds in the Rochester D&C that stated "CD Collection for Sale. Who needs it when I have WXXX?". Sorry for the lack of specifics, but I'm guessing that there are those on this board that remember this station. (Dating myself, WCMF from 1972-1980 [when I went to California] was also truly God-like). The station went away shortly thereafter, and I'm sure the guy who sold the CDs is still digging around on Ebay to get them back. A huge loss for Rochester radio in particular, and for an innovative media model in general.

The point is that if these collective ass-wipes would get their collective single-digit IQs together to merely function at the level of brain-fart, they'd understand that they're making a mistake by turning every goddamn minute of every goddamn game into a cross between a computer game and an infomercial. People will FLOCK to a format if they're treated with a modicum of intelligence and respect, even if that format is insincere. It's all in the packaging. Faking sincerity is the hardest part. Trust me - I'm in Marketing. My job is to put schit in a box and have you like it. And this bunch of ass clowns is missing the message.

"Western World" - Steely Dan