BJ's

ricojes

So, I have my 20 year Dunkirk HS reunion the weekend of July 17th. And I just found out that a former classmate is now the owner of BJ's in downtown Fredonia. What a trip, I didn't even know it was still open! If any TBD'ers are in the area stop by on Friday night for a few cold ones, should be a good time!!!

:thumbsup::beer:

Is the topic too vague?

Sunny's!!

Sunnys is still going strong, believe it or not. I remember seeing Jakyl there many moons ago. For those that aren't familiar Jackyl used a chainsaw as a musical instrument in some of their songs. With Sunny's being a pretty narrow bar, it was quite interesting. And who can forget quarter draft night!!!! :thumbsup::beer:

Here's the wiki write-up on Jackyl, classic!!!

The band is probably best-known for its songs "Down On Me", and "The Lumberjack," which features a chainsaw solo by lead singer Jesse James Dupree. Dupree would rev the chainsaw's engine or use the chain brake to slow the engine down to keep the beat. He would also perform this stunt live and the number would climax with Dupree slicing up a wooden stool onstage, smashing it, and throwing the sliced pieces out to the crowd. He once had been asked, "How the hell can you play a chainsaw?" to which he responded, "How the hell can you not play a chainsaw?"

Sunnys is still going strong, believe it or not. I remember seeing Jakyl there many moons ago. For those that aren't familiar Jackyl used a chainsaw as a musical instrument in some of their songs. With Sunny's being a pretty narrow bar, it was quite interesting. And who can forget quarter draft night!!!! :thumbsup::beer:

The band is probably best-known for its songs "Down On Me", and "The Lumberjack," which features a chainsaw solo by lead singer Jesse James Dupree. Dupree would rev the chainsaw's engine or use the chain brake to slow the engine down to keep the beat. He would also perform this stunt live and the number would climax with Dupree slicing up a wooden stool onstage, smashing it, and throwing the sliced pieces out to the crowd. He once had been asked, "How the hell can you play a chainsaw?" to which he responded, "How the hell can you not play a chainsaw?"

Did they play that ballad off their first album? It was called "She Loves My rooster". Beautiful melody.

So, I have my 20 year Dunkirk HS reunion the weekend of July 17th. And I just found out that a former classmate is now the owner of BJ's in downtown Fredonia. What a trip, I didn't even know it was still open! If any TBD'ers are in the area stop by on Friday night for a few cold ones, should be a good time!!!

:thumbsup::beer:

Is the topic too vague?

Fun place. I spent an interesting evening there watching the band Sleater-Kinney perform.

Did they play that ballad off their first album? It was called "She Loves My rooster". Beautiful melody.

At a place called BJ's? I would certainly hope so.

I lived in Fredonia for a couple years after college. BJ's and Sonny's were rockin'. Made me wish I had gone to a school with a 60-40 girl/guy ratio. Damn engineering schools. :thumbsup:

i saw the title of the thread and my first thought happened to be the one that fit the subject of this thread......i immediately thought of monday nite wings.....man i need to get out more!!!!! :thumbsup:

:beer::beer:

Is the topic too vague?

OH hell, we have $0.99 PBR's at bars in richmond if it is either raining or over 100 degrees....it's been raining alot in richmond this year............. :thumbsup:

Ah, BJ's. Still a piss-soaked dump, from what I hear. Although that's supposed to be the charm. Last I knew they had $1 PBRs.

:beer::beer:

Is the topic too vague?

Yes :thumbsup::beer:

I can't believe that it took five posts for someone to post something like that. TSWers are getting a bit slow.

Definitely not the topic I first thought when seeing the thread title.

Glad to see a couple of people got it, finally. :beer:

Best drink special at Sunny's wasnt the Quarter-drafts on Thursday nights. It was the $4 all you can drink special on Wednesday nights. We'd go and pay $4 at the door, then it was unlimited supply of well drinks and drafts. We used to order 2 vodka-crans at a time, 1 to drink and 1 to throw at our friends.

And Fredonia may be 60/40 girl to guys by number, but considering the large gay population due to the theatre/dance school, it was more like 75/25 straight girl to straight guy. Sunny's was (and im sure still is) a meat market. One of the best quotes from my college years came from my room mate when we were giving him sh-- about being a senior and still hanging out at Sunny's. He said "at other bars, you have to talk to girls. at sunny's you just need to bump into them and their yours". it was actually very accurate.

ah, college.

Actually when I was there, Suny's(I believe that's how it was spelled back then, before it closed and reopened as Sunny's) had nickle drafts on monday nites. We would bring rolled pennies to the bar and get our liquor on......

And who could forget Quad Nite at Old Main on Wednesday's....good god we would get messed up....

And Saturday mornings at Fountain Grill with the locals, watching Pee Wee's Playhouse...

On campus we had a bar in the bottom of the campus center...the name escapes me right now, but i guess that was a fall back in case we were too lazy to walk downtown...

God I miss the early 80's

Best drink special at Sunny's wasnt the Quarter-drafts on Thursday nights. It was the $4 all you can drink special on Wednesday nights. We'd go and pay $4 at the door, then it was unlimited supply of well drinks and drafts. We used to order 2 vodka-crans at a time, 1 to drink and 1 to throw at our friends.

And Fredonia may be 60/40 girl to guys by number, but considering the large gay population due to the theatre/dance school, it was more like 75/25 straight girl to straight guy. Sunny's was (and im sure still is) a meat market. One of the best quotes from my college years came from my room mate when we were giving him sh-- about being a senior and still hanging out at Sunny's. He said "at other bars, you have to talk to girls. at sunny's you just need to bump into them and their yours". it was actually very accurate.

ah, college.

Graduated Fredonia 34 years ago-Makes me feel old just typing that. I hung around a year after I graduated because I just didn't want to leave & face the real world. Back then, if you had a student ID you could get into The Caboose for free, otherwise you had to pay a cover charge. The 1st week or so of the new semester I was still able to use my expired ID. Then they asked me where my current ID was & I had to admit I graduated the previous year. No more free admission. Poor kids today-I can't imagine going to Downtown Fredonia as a student with a 21 drinking age.

Sunnys is still going strong, believe it or not. I remember seeing Jakyl there many moons ago. For those that aren't familiar Jackyl used a chainsaw as a musical instrument in some of their songs. With Sunny's being a pretty narrow bar, it was quite interesting. And who can forget quarter draft night!!!! :doh::doh:

BJ's and Jackyl. what an awesome thread. i've seen Jackyl 4 times when i lived in Vegas. 'When Will It Rain' is another great song.

Rock Me

Roll Me

And Jackyl Me Off!!!!!!!!!

Hell Yeah!!!!!!! :w00t:

Graduated Fredonia 34 years ago-Makes me feel old just typing that. I hung around a year after I graduated because I just didn't want to leave & face the real world. Back then, if you had a student ID you could get into The Caboose for free, otherwise you had to pay a cover charge. The 1st week or so of the new semester I was still able to use my expired ID. Then they asked me where my current ID was & I had to admit I graduated the previous year. No more free admission. Poor kids today-I can't imagine going to Downtown Fredonia as a student with a 21 drinking age.

i got there in 97 and trust me, it was no problem. my roommate and i brought a 30 pack of genny summer brew into the dorm with us at orientation.