Whatever happened to Shane Brother Shane?

Tcali

I remember him being huge in Buffalo in the 70s and 80s.....He was kind of a joke but in a way that made you want to listen to him..If that makes any sense.-I tried googling him but found very little --just a few old radio clips and a bit of reminiscence from the old wgr days.

I havent lived in Buff since 83...wonder if anyone has any knowledge of the guys whereabouts. I would figure him to be about in his mid 60s now..mas o menos.

I remember him being huge in Buffalo in the 70s and 80s.....He was kind of a joke but in a way that made you want to listen to him..If that makes any sense.-I tried googling him but found very little --just a few old radio clips and a bit of reminiscence from the old wgr days.

I havent lived in Buff since 83...wonder if anyone has any knowledge of the guys whereabouts. I would figure him to be about in his mid 60s now..mas o menos.

I remember listening to his show as a kid, as I recall back when GR played music, he played quite a bit of disco, which as a youngster I didn't know any better and thought it was "cool" show. I even used his photo as my avatar here for a while last year. Don't know what happened to him, but would love to find out. I remember listening to GR as I was falling asleep each night and if I was still awake when John Otto came on (remember Desperate and Dateless Thursday Night Show), then it was going to be a long day the next day at school.

I remember listening to his show as a kid, as I recall back when GR played music, he played quite a bit of disco, which as a youngster I didn't know any better and thought it was "cool" show. I even used his photo as my avatar here for a while last year. Don't know what happened to him, but would love to find out. I remember listening to GR as I was falling asleep each night and if I was still awake when John Otto came on (remember Desperate and Dateless Thursday Night Show), then it was going to be a long day the next day at school.

Bullpen---I thought this topic would generate more interest and answers....maybe the board is a bit young...but I thought we had enough over 40s ..oh well. I'm not sure the youngsters ever heard of him--or could conceive of how big this guy was in the market at one time.

Cheers.

Jerry Jack and Mike Melody - where are they now?

WNIA 1230AM, IIRC - "Be big, be a builder." Jerry and Mike were not specific people, just the handle of whoever was behind the mike on that shift. Bob Allen of WBUF/WZIR/WUWU fame(?) appeared as both in his long and storied career.

AFAIK Shane tried to resurrect his career in the '80s and admitted in a Buffalo News (or maybe even Courier Express) article that he had been away for awhile on a "toot". Nothing much came from that though.

I remember the guy and his show. Different but I couldn't see that kind of show selling in the corporate market today. I guess SBS went the way of Stan Roberts and the old Fourth Period show that used to run after Sabres games...

I remember the guy and his show. Different but I couldn't see that kind of show selling in the corporate market today. I guess SBS went the way of Stan Roberts and the old Fourth Period show that used to run after Sabres games...

Wow I remember the fourth period show as well! Used to put me to sleep during the long winter evenings from Dec through March.

Last thing I remember about Stan Roberts was when he was PA announcing at the Rich.

I used to be a DJ at 97 Rock in the early 80's. WGR/WGRQ shared a long building near Allentown. the 'GR end was on Franklin, the 97 Rock end was on Virginia Place. Shane would often be on the air same time as me. Shane was really an old school guy when it came to rock n roll. He didn't care for the "crap" we called rock on WGRQ.

But one day I wandered into his studio with a copy of the debut release by the Stray Cats. Shane had never heard of them but was blown away that a new band was doing music the old way...HIS way. He actually broke format right then and there, announcing to his listeners he had a new band eveyone had to hear, and proceeded to play "Stray Cat Strut."

I keep in touch with Russo, I see Norton at Bills games and say hi, and Jim Pasterick used to produce the Bills pre-game before he got downsized. Tom Tibieri was a part time DJ back then as was John Hager, who rose to become PD. But Shane? I lost track of him.

PTR

I used to be a DJ at 97 Rock in the early 80's. WGR/WGRQ shared a long building near Allentown. the 'GR end was on Franklin, the 97 Rock end was on Virginia Place. Shane would often be on the air same time as me. Shane was really an old school guy when it came to rock n roll. He didn't care for the "crap" we called rock on WGRQ.

But one day I wandered into his studio with a copy of the debut release by the Stray Cats. Shane had never heard of them but was blown away that a new band was doing music the old way...HIS way. He actually broke format right then and there, announcing to his listeners he had a new band eveyone had to hear, and proceeded to play "Stray Cat Strut."

I keep in touch with Russo, I see Norton at Bills games and say hi, and Jim Pasterick used to produce the Bills pre-game before he got downsized. Tom Tibieri was a part time DJ back then as was John Hager, who rose to become PD. But Shane? I lost track of him.

PTR

Good story PTR! The names you mentioned bring back a lot of memories. I did some part time stuff for one of the joke-of-a-radio-station they had in Jamestown back in the 90s and it always amazed me that small fraternity it USED to be in radio. Everyone knew everyone back then. Remember that dude Terry Lamar who used to be at the old Rock 102? He ended up down in Jimmytown later on. I was surprised at all the people he knew and the stories he told about some of the old Jocks just blew my mind. You find out they really are "just like everyone else" if by "everyone else" you mean complete freaks!

I still dabble in college radio, but it's so different from what I remember 20 years ago.

Good story PTR! The names you mentioned bring back a lot of memories. I did some part time stuff for one of the joke-of-a-radio-station they had in Jamestown back in the 90s and it always amazed me that small fraternity it USED to be in radio. Everyone knew everyone back then. Remember that dude Terry Lamar who used to be at the old Rock 102? He ended up down in Jimmytown later on. I was surprised at all the people he knew and the stories he told about some of the old Jocks just blew my mind. You find out they really are "just like everyone else" if by "everyone else" you mean complete freaks!

I still dabble in college radio, but it's so different from what I remember 20 years ago.

97 Rock is unique in that it still has many of the original jocks from the 80's working there. And it's true how everyone in radio knows everyone else in radio...and usually has some good blackmail stories too, lol. Alas, the biz ain't what it used to be. That's why I got out in 2004. I could see the writing on the wall and I didn't want to deal with yet another station sale and another bunch of empty suits telling us that we're doing our jobs the wrong way and we have to cut costs just so these a**holes can make a huge profit.

PTR

You aren't the guy that came out to the SF Bay area in the 90s and then got a sex change operation?

Just joking.

There was a guy that was on weekends out here that was called Weird old Uncle Frank, with a fairly mellow deep voice. Well, he really was weird, because I read that while on the air, he was pre-op for a sex change.

PTR

thats very cool Promo..I probbly listened to you back then. I lived in Allentown in the early 80s so was very familiar with the studio there. see what you can find out seems you have some connections.

Man, this thread is bringing back a lot of great memories...Stan Roberts 4th period, Shane Brotha' Shane, 97 Rock (PTR, which guy were you?), Desperate and Dateless...growing up in Buffalo in the 70's and 80's I was always a radio addict (still am today)...just tonight, I was listening to a GR replay of a show from earlier today, with Schop & the Bulldog (GR) and Stan Baron and Tom Donahue (WBEN) all together. I guess Baron and Donahue do sort of political talk now, but growing up, Donahue was my favorite. I would call him 2 or 3 times every Friday night, asking him to play things like "Mr Jaws" and "Brandy". I recounted it in a Randy Smith thread, but once, Donahue came to the Muscular Distrophy carnival we had in our backyard, as a guest. He also lined up Craig Ramsey and Randy Smith to come and sign autographs...I loved those days...thanks for a great thread Tcali!

• 1 year later...

Shane "brother" Shane Gibson now lives near Richmond, VA. I worked with him over the past couple years in the golf business. He is one heck of a personality and still quite animated. If you "Youtube" Brother Shane he was a speaker at a Carl Palidino rally last September.

Bullpen---I thought this topic would generate more interest and answers....maybe the board is a bit young...but I thought we had enough over 40s ..oh well. I'm not sure the youngsters ever heard of him--or could conceive of how big this guy was in the market at one time.

Cheers.

Brother Shane is alive and well in Richmond, VA. He got into teaching golf and I worked with him over the past few years. And I have never met anyone else like him, he is an interesting guy and quite animated.

97 Rock is unique in that it still has many of the original jocks from the 80's working there. And it's true how everyone in radio knows everyone else in radio...and usually has some good blackmail stories too, lol. Alas, the biz ain't what it used to be. That's why I got out in 2004. I could see the writing on the wall and I didn't want to deal with yet another station sale and another bunch of empty suits telling us that we're doing our jobs the wrong way and we have to cut costs just so these a**holes can make a huge profit.

PTR

Funny...just recently started a new job, where I am by myself a fair amount of the time...so I can listen to what I want on the computer. I started to listen to 97Rock streaming, just for the memories...it is amazing how many remnants remain of the old days...even some of the "classic rock" they play, I would venture to guess, wouldn't be played on any other commercial "classic rock" stations anywhere else..it's like the playlist hasn't changed in decades...something kind of cool about that, even if I don't particularly care for a lot of it.

• 11 months later...

PTR

Is Dan Hager, who is on GR - I think a producer for the morning show, and used to do sports updates, the son of John Hager?

Is Dan Hager, who is on GR - I think a producer for the morning show, and used to do sports updates, the son of John Hager?

No idea. Could be. The boss hiring his kid? Unheard of! :lol: John was just a part-time kid when I was there in 1981. BTW, I actually started my radio career at the old WWOL Country 104 in 1979 in the old Lafayette Hotel studios.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot