I would plan on T.O. costing us $9 M + a year next season

SKOOBY

If we have any level of success at all this year on offense, I think it will directly be because of Owens. I would plan on him costing us $9 M plus and us actually keeping him on a 3 year deal. When the popcorn flies, it will need big butter.

Get your butter ready for that popcorn.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If his performance gets us to the playoffs, I'll pass the coffee can around personally. Of course the other side of the coin is whether he will want to stay in small-time Buffalo. Jerry Jones is still sniffing his jock. I would not be shocked if he returned to Dallas.

PTR

If we have any level of success at all this year on offense, I think it will directly be because of Owens. I would plan on him costing us $9 M plus and us actually keeping him on a 3 year deal. When the popcorn flies, it will need big butter.

One & done in a Bills uni.....

I'm going to try and enjoy every second of the 2009 season with T.O. because that's the extent of his career here. If he flops he's gone no matter what. If he leads the league in receiving, somebody else from a bigger market will overpay next year. It was a perfect storm to have this guy sign in Buffalo.

TO = 36 years old this year

You can't realistically expect him to be able to play at the top of his game for 2 or 3 more years beyond this one. I say if anything, if our team shows it has the pieces needed on the field, he might sign another 1-year deal with us. If we prove to be mediocre again he will bolt for a team that has the best chance to win the SB that shows any form of interest.

did you say the same thing when asked if TO would ever sign with the bills this offseason?

Yes I did...and probably 99% of other Bills fans. I still think it's a long shot he stays. We could pay him $11M but if he doesn't want to live at the Hyatt for another year, he's gone.

PTR

Reality check:

1. The Bills signed T.O. ONLY because it looked like a lot of ticket sales may be lost. It was a marketing ploy.

2. T.O. came to Buffalo because there wasn't as much interest in him as he hoped. So he will wait to see what the market is next year.

3. By the end of this year, the T.O. mantra will be "our play calling is too conservative," "our quarterback is not good enough," Buffalo is not a contender," "there is little media coverage here" or all of the above.

Reality check:

1. The Bills signed T.O. ONLY because it looked like a lot of ticket sales may be lost. It was a marketing ploy.

2. T.O. came to Buffalo because there wasn't as much interest in him as he hoped. So he will wait to see what the market is next year.

3. By the end of this year, the T.O. mantra will be "our play calling is too conservative," "our quarterback is not good enough," Buffalo is not a contender," "there is little media coverage here" or all of the above.

1.) We acquired the most talented WR over team last 3 years, that's a godsend.

2.) He was unemployed for 48 hours.

3.) Link??

And this is based on...what?

There's no way I'll ever believe that TO wanted to sign here. It was likely the only plays he had, and if he's suddenly presented with options again (i.e. if he has a drama-free, productive sesaon), I just can't see him remaining in Buffalo.

Franchise his rock star ass!

GO BILLS!!!

that is an interesting idea, but if history is any indication that is probably an idea best left alone. T.O. doesn't do encores very well and if forced to do one, i would imangine he will take to throwing everyone under the bus, train, falls, you name it.

that is an interesting idea, but if history is any indication that is probably an idea best left alone. T.O. doesn't do encores very well and if forced to do one, i would imangine he will take to throwing everyone under the bus, train, falls, you name it.

To me the biggest question is when and if he leaves and IMO he'll leave after a year as long as he's productive then who takes a leadership role that he brings when he departs. I hope he stays but if not we need to bring in a player that turns up the volume in practice, meetings, etc much the way Jim Kelly did. It's not all about talent but when you have a talented confident player that makes players around them better then you have a winner.

9 mil at age 37??? well.........i hope he does that well this year to deserve that consideration

What's the franchise tag (or transition if one is available under the complex CBA rules. One assumes that it will be difficult to sign TO with a tag as he almost certainly will throw a toxic hissy fit. However, IF (and its a huge IF at his age) he proves good enough to be worth resigning, this is the negotiating level which any deal must work from, Not $9 mill I would guess even if TO has a Pro Bowl year.