Attn: soccer fans (just wait 'til next year!)

Cugalabanza

And USA can't hold on in the end, just like every other team I've ever rooted for.

Does anyone else feel like the team they want to win.. never does?

Of all the teams, all the players, all the leagues, all the tournamanets, all the playoffs, the only team that I ever truly loved, to win a championship, have been the Celtics and Martina Navratilova I pulled for the Broncos all those Super Bowl games, and when they finally won, it was cool, but nothing compared to what it would be like if the Bills had won.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And USA can't hold on in the end, just like every other team I've ever rooted for.

Does anyone else feel like the team they want to win.. never does?

My pro teams are all like this. My college teams do alright. :thumbsup:

Agreed. I was shocked when the USA got to the finals, and more shocked when they went up 2-0. A valiant effort, but just not enough.

The noise from those freaking horns is completely obnoxious, I must say. I'm glad I don't have to watch too much soccer from South Africa.

Quick question to long-time knowledgeable soccer fans. Why is it that Italy, a national team that performs fairly well in the World Cup, and at least OK in the European Cup, never even seems to quality for the Confederations Cup? Is it simply coincidence or do the star players not bother to play, or play all out, in this tourney? Maybe it is for other reasons. Any insight is appreciated.

Confederations cup qualification is only for teams who win their respective continent, world cup winners and the hosts of the next WC. Therefore Italy qualified since they won in 2006 the WC. They have not won the Euro in the last 20 years.

My pro teams are all like this. My college teams do alright. :thumbsup:

My pro teams are:

Bills - never won.

Sabres - never won.

Mets - they suck.

Knicks - they really suck.

My college football team is getting better each year, but will never have the chance to win anything big.

My college bball team gets to the NCAA tourney and loses in the 1st round.

I pulled for Federer to beat Nadal in Wimbleton last year. I hate Nadal.

USA soccer this year. Pretty much any team I root for in general.

Anyone who wants their team to win, just pray I don't become a fan.

Wow, what a game...I tell you what, I'm excited about US soccer for the first time in months. They came into this tourney with the same lazy, undisciplined crappy play they'd been exhibiting for a while, but left the tourney as legit International contenders. I don't know WHY they have all of a sudden found the desire to play with aggression and heart, but I hope they don't lose what they've found. Hell, even Donovan impressed the hell out of me today. I wish to God that they could have held on to win this game, but it's okay. They've never even been to the finals before, so to finish in 2nd is huge. Brazil is arguably the best team in the world, and to have beaten the TWO best teams in the world in one tourney would be a lot to ask of our guys. That being said, they almost did exactly that, and I'm proud as hell of them.

I cannot WAIT until the WC next year. I had an absolute blast watching the matches and discussing them with all you guys on here in 2006, and I can't wait to do it again next year. In the meantime, I hope Team USA continues to grow as a team and nurtures that winning attitude that they displayed over the past few games.

U-S-A!!!!!!

My pro teams are:

Bills - never won.

Sabres - never won.

Mets - they suck.

Knicks - they really suck.

My college football team is getting better each year, but will never have the chance to win anything big.

My college bball team gets to the NCAA tourney and loses in the 1st round.

I pulled for Federer to beat Nadal in Wimbleton last year. I hate Nadal.

USA soccer this year. Pretty much any team I root for in general.

Anyone who wants their team to win, just pray I don't become a fan.

I tend to feel the same way....if not for the '95 Braves, I'd honestly feel like I was the cause of some sort of curse!

My teams:

Bills (became fan in 1985) 0-4 in Championships

Braves (became fan in 1980) 1-4 in Championships

Flyers (became fan in 1996) 0-1 in Finals since I've been a fan

Sixers (became fan in 1996) 0-1 in Finals since I've been a fan

So that's 1-10!!!

The Brazillian goal in the 46th minute was brutal...

Kinda like running back the second half kick-off in a football game.

Still have to be proud of the USA in this tourney.

Coming back from the depth of elimination to play in the finals

is an achievement...Moral victory...sure.

But is shows that more can be done.

On to Mexico City in August....!!

Wow, what a game...I tell you what, I'm excited about US soccer for the first time in months...

U-S-A!!!!!!

This game just further illustrated how far we still have to go. The score may have been respectable but Brazil dominated throughout. They controlled the ball for much of the game, outshot us by a 3-1 margin, and had many more scoring opportunities. It could have been ugly.

Confederations cup qualification is only for teams who win their respective continent, world cup winners and the hosts of the next WC. Therefore Italy qualified since they won in 2006 the WC. They have not won the Euro in the last 20 years.

Thanks.

This game just further illustrated how far we still have to go. The score may have been respectable but Brazil dominated throughout. They controlled the ball for much of the game, outshot us by a 3-1 margin, and had many more scoring opportunities. It could have been ugly.

I agree, but when I see progress in areas that really bother me, I feel good about things. We've got to be able to score on quality teams OTHER than Donovan hitting a PK, and I think they proved they are getting better in that area, both against Spain and Brazil. Aggression is improved, their using their physical advantage more effectively, and they are showing more thought in terms of how they're setting up their shots. I saw a much more complete team these last three games than I did the first few. Long way to go? Sure, but we're closer now than we were before, IF they can build off of this success.

I would even argue that Spain outplayed us as well. But we kept blocking shots and made them miss. The difference Brazil hit their shots. Can you really win consistantly when it looks like the other guys are on the power play the whole game?

PTR

I would even argue that Spain outplayed us as well. But we kept blocking shots and made them miss. The difference Brazil hit their shots. Can you really win consistantly when it looks like the other guys are on the power play the whole game?

PTR

A valid point, however, there are many successful teams that rely on staunch defenses with effective counterattacks. The Italians won the world cup in this manner this past time around, they rarely controlled play, but their defense was very tough to crack, and when they got the ball they moved up the field very quickly and effectively. If you watch the Champions league matches, and you watch the English teams against some of the Spanish teams it is a similar story, the Spanish teams like Barcelona will control the ball 60% of the time and when they turn it over to a team like Arsenal or Manchester, they usually come counterattacking with a lot of speed and precision.

The second goal we scored against the Brazilians was world class. We went from the Brazilians in our 18 yard box, to 3 passes later to their 18 yard box in a matter of 5-6 seconds, with a tremendous touch and finish from Donovan. That was enjoyable to watch.

There is no doubt that the Spaniards and Brazilians are a better team than we are, but to be able to break the 35 game streak of the Spanish, and to almost beat the Brazilians in FIFA cup final game, within a week of each other, when both of their teams brought out their "A" Squad says that we are a team not to be taken lightly, and that on any given day, we can hang in there with the best, which is a lot more than what could of been said of this US soccer team 10-20 years ago.