WR situation

How did my comparison of Josh Reed to Hines Ward confuse you so badly? :rolleyes:

Josh Reed

Rec 284

Yds 3284

TDs 9

Rush 57yds 0 tds

"nothing"

Hines Ward

430yds 1 td

Superbowl MVP

That is not even comparable to me!!! Unless maybe T.E. is comparable to elway, then i could understand your logic.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying that their sizes are the same as far as weight. He plays small in that he has limited vertical and explosiveness. He is tough, but disappears around the goal line because he is too small (short not skinny) and cannot separate. He is too easy to cover. What he gets is what the defense is willing to give up!

I do agree though with a previous post that said why get rid of him now when he is at his best. That is true in that he has been better and better each year but I would hate to see us cut a good young talent that could possibly help out now in the slot, when we currently have an abundance of receivers and TO is only around for a year. Next year Reed will be thirty, and though that is not incredibly old for a WR, it is much older than the alternatives we currently have. I am not opposed to keeping him IF they kept six, I don't believe they will, i think they only have room for five in order to carry 15 corners and 10 safties as Jauron likes to do.

You all have a chubby for this guy and i am not saying he is garbage but that the others we have can do what he does and then some. If he is so good then why has Buffalo been looking for receivers to go with Evans ever since they got rid of Moulds. Reed as been there the whole time and has yet to step up and become an answer.

Negatives

1. less than 284 catches over 8 years is merely 35 per

2. 9 TD's over the same span is just over 1 a year

3. disappears inside the 20

4. no special teams help (which should be expected from the additional receiver slots)

Positives

1. Willing and able blocker

2. Sure handed (hasn't even fumbled in 6 years)

3. I guess a good off the field guy just to give him a third one!

I really can't argue with anything you say here. However, just remember that football is not always measured in numbers. Reed helps us in ways that you can't define by looking at a box score.

I really can't argue with anything you say here. However, just remember that football is not always measured in numbers. Reed helps us in ways that you can't define by looking at a box score.

My main point is he is not the only player in the world who can do what he does, there are players that can do those things and also provide more of a statistical upgrade.

Not all production is measured in stats, but alot is.

You all have a chubby for this guy and i am not saying he is garbage but that the others we have can do what he does and then some. If he is so good then why has Buffalo been looking for receivers to go with Evans ever since they got rid of Moulds. Reed as been there the whole time and has yet to step up and become an answer.

Chuckny,

So, who can do better than Reed? Who are you presuming got a lot better playing from the slot (without showing it on the field)?

Parrish? Hardy? Johnson? Jenkins? ...Huggins? ...Beullar? Sorry, I'm out of guesses.

You think Reed hasn't been an answer? You mean like a pro bowl WR answer? Well, um, yeah. I'd be fine with him playing like he did last year.

I hear where you're coming from, and I wouldn't cut Hardy, Parrish or Johnson yet either. You know who I think they cut? Jenkins and the fullback, McIntyre, or someone else (and Huggins to the PS). Keeping 6 WRs isn't exactly unheard of.

Josh Reed

Rec 284

Yds 3284

TDs 9

Rush 57yds 0 tds

"nothing"

Hines Ward

430yds 1 td

Superbowl MVP

That is not even comparable to me!!! Unless maybe T.E. is comparable to elway, then i could understand your logic.

You're comparing stats of a number 1 WR to a number 3 WR, well done.

The earlier comparisons were of character, toughness, and ability to catch a football.

Also, Reed has been unable to play his true role in quite some time. Being able to play a TRUE #3 will benefit him and the rest of the team A LOT..... I agree that we have some untapped potential talent behind Reed, but for now, you go with what has worked. Reed has done NOTHING to deserve being released or replaced on the depth chart. I understand the desire or "wonder" to look at other guys, but it's nothing more than that, being curious about others who may perform well. It's a good problem to have, as others have mentioned, but Reed is the best player on this team when speaking of our #3 WR spot.

Enough of this thread....

Reed's value showed in spades last year(especially in his injury absence). Many here felt similarly a couple years ago but Reed's value to the team, isn't questionable any longer, not to those who watch the Bills and understand the game.

You sir, are dead wrong.............

I admit to being in the anti-Reed camp for a few years, but have come to love the guy for everything mentioned in this thread. That he was -at best- average, but one of our best players, didn't speak much of the teams we fielded.. To me, he came to represent the foibles of the teams' mis-management this century. Now, he's develpoed into a fine slot receiver and slowly creeping up in the career annuls of Bills receivers. The day we finally do kick him to the curb, is the day we're so loaded with Super Bowl caliber talent, that we can't afford to keep him.

Give 'em hell, Josh!

The only problem with Reed is that he's been playing out of position since his rookie season. He's a natural slot receiver in the NFL. He's VERY physical as his status as an elite blocking receiver attests and he'll be even more effective as a blocker from the slot. I would look for our running to be improved from that standpoint alone. As others have pointed out, he's 'clutch' in terms of making his receptions count as indicated by the high percentage that result in a first down.

GO BILLS!!!

Guest dog14787
Then you need a hug! BILLSFAN4LIFE, give the man a hug!

Can we arrange this to be a hug from Numarks avatar, because you really hurt my feelings. :rolleyes:

The only problem with Reed is that he's been playing out of position since his rookie season. He's a natural slot receiver in the NFL. He's VERY physical as his status as an elite blocking receiver attests and he'll be even more effective as a blocker from the slot. I would look for our running to be improved from that standpoint alone. As others have pointed out, he's 'clutch' in terms of making his receptions count as indicated by the high percentage that result in a first down.

GO BILLS!!!

TO is a great blocker as well. The running game should be pretty good this year. :rolleyes:

He has always been our best blocking receiver...true, but until we drafted Hardy and Johnson last year we had no height or size. So you were not comparing him to much. He and Evans were the tallest receivers on the team (that saw the field for something other than special teams). The best blocker now, no...TO is one of the better blocking receivers in the league simply because he is willing and has the size. He has no size, no speed, no ability to step in and take an outside spot if an injury were to happen to the top two. He has given us 8 years and he has reached his potential. He is not going to get better from here, he is what he is and that is not the third best receiver on our team...

That's all he needs to be. You don't cut him because he reached his potential. When you find me another receiver who has the "sack" to go over the middle and catch the ball consistenly on 3rd down, then feel free to release Josh. The only current Bills receiver with that potential is Steve Johnson. I exclude T.O. because he may only play 16 games in a Bills uni...

First of all comparing Reed to Ward is an insult to an eventual HOFer. Secondly saying that Parrish is too small to block is no different. that was my point. If parrish is "too small", then Reed is not much bigger.

My whole point is that the potential of this offense is better served getting johnson and parrish in one on one matchups with safties and nickle backs, than it is to just hand the position to Reed and have that take up a receiver spot that is too limited this year. Reed one on one in the slot is what opposing teams would rather too!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :rolleyes:

I cant believe you just called Hines Ward a future HOF'er. You must be smoking crack through a plastic straw with an espestos filter.

Wes Welker, who people think is a great slot WR, is smaller than Reed. Welker is 5'9" 185# and Reed is 5'10" and 210#.

And on another note Parrish is even smaller than Welker. If were cutting WR's for being small then Roscoe would be the first to go on almost any team in the league. Im too lazy to look up his weight. What is Roscoe? 175 dripping wet?

The earlier comparisons were of character, toughness, and ability to catch a football.

Also, Reed has been unable to play his true role in quite some time. Being able to play a TRUE #3 will benefit him and the rest of the team A LOT..... I agree that we have some untapped potential talent behind Reed, but for now, you go with what has worked. Reed has done NOTHING to deserve being released or replaced on the depth chart. I understand the desire or "wonder" to look at other guys, but it's nothing more than that, being curious about others who may perform well. It's a good problem to have, as others have mentioned, but Reed is the best player on this team when speaking of our #3 WR spot.

I concede to your point and stress that my original point was that keeping 5 WR's that included JR would exclude a player i would not want to see go. The others are so young and talented and their upside is higher than that of JR and with TO gone next year, i do not want to see those other WR's the victim of a cut and end up producing elsewhere.

TO is the vast improvement for this season and losing one of the other WR's would cause next years WR's to be the same as last years which was needing something!

Reed's coming off the best year of his career (during which he didn't drop a single pass); plus, he's Edwards' favorite short-range target. Therefore, let's cut him. Good plan. Send your application to One Bills Drive, sir; they could use your expertise.

He's comparing the stats of a #1 WR on a team with a proven QB, smart coaching and great offensive line to the #3 WR on a team whose offense has been in total shambles for several years. News flash: Reed isn't the reason the offense stinks.

So, you want to dump the best slot WR on the team? You want to get rid of the surest handed WR, who is the team's best blocking WR (yes, play in and play out he is a better blocker than TO) and a nose for the 1st down marker...for what? "Potential" of younger WRs? Seriously?

Dude?

Guest dog14787
Pass on the hug, but I'll buy him a beer. :lol:

Thank you, and may I return the kind favor sir :lol::lol::thumbdown: