Felser on being miffed

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what he's saying. But he ignores the aspect that it's a two way relationship between the team and player.

Yes, as a team you cannot let being miffed interfere with your personnel decisions. On the other hand, if you're a GM you can't let players who are miffed at the team, have their way either.

Even if you are miffed, that doesn't mean you are wrong. You just have to be careful that you miff-ism doesn't cloud your decision process.

Also..

Common thread I see in Felser's examples of Bills being miffed at players: The Bills weren't miffed, they were UNCERTAIN. The players had uncertain futures. In the future: they may be good, or they may suck. These are all players entering the second phase (or maybe final) of their career and their future success is uncertain in relation to the high dollars they negotiate.

Jason Peters.. he "might" be successful in Philly, but given bucks he wanted, not sure he would have produced in Bflo

Angelo Crowell.. surprise surgery: was it disloyalty, or just poor mgmt of personal life. Either way = unreliable.

Pat Williams.. OK, maybe the Bills dropped this one

Antoine Winfield.. Reliable or mercenary? He's holding out in the final year of Vikes contract

Jim Leonhard.. his future success was hardly a slam dunk; but good for him that he was

Roscoe Parrish.. actually, I think RP is victim of roster excess in this position

The Bills were not miffed. They offered, or didn't offer, contracts that accounted for their confidence in the players future production.

You are so kidding yourself. Peters is going to be a huge success and if you think the Bills weren't miffed at him, I don't know what to say. It couldn't be more obvious. Crowell is another case of pure "miffedness."

And as Felser points out, if you get miffed at at a guy you keep him till you have someone better. How did that work out with Peters and Crowell? Not at all. This team will be weaker this year and on into the future till those two guys are adequately replaced.

It is widely known (don't have time to look up the link, but I will try later) that the Bills gave themselves a deadline in signing Peters, because Jauron wanted to either have him signed early enough to get him to OTAs, or get rid of him. In doing so, they have sacrificed their future and their leverage on Peters for the sake of success this year. It's not good strategy for teams that aren't close to Super Bowl contention to favor short-term success over long-term success. And that's what the Bills did.

Ralph Wilson has been a terrific owner in so many ways over the years. Particularly his willingness to give up higher profits in order to stay in Buffalo has been an absolutely terrific thing for the city. But there's always a downside, nobody's perfect. And this is Ralph's Achilles heel, he gets miffed and takes things personally.

Felser is absolutely dead on, though not all of his examples (Parrish - are they miffed?, they weren't miffed at Pat Williams, he offered them a hometown discount, that was just a truly horrible piece of judgment of future ability) fit the argument.

You are so kidding yourself. Peters is going to be a huge success and if you think the Bills weren't miffed at him, I don't know what to say. It couldn't be more obvious. Crowell is another case of pure "miffedness."

And as Felser points out, if you get miffed at at a guy you keep him till you have someone better. How did that work out with Peters and Crowell? Not at all. This team will be weaker this year and on into the future till those two guys are adequately replaced.

It is widely known (don't have time to look up the link, but I will try later) that the Bills gave themselves a deadline in signing Peters, because Jauron wanted to either have him signed early enough to get him to OTAs, or get rid of him. In doing so, they have sacrificed their future and their leverage on Peters for the sake of success this year. It's not good strategy for teams that aren't close to Super Bowl contention to favor short-term success over long-term success. And that's what the Bills did.

Felser is absolutely dead on, though not all of his examples (Parrish - are they miffed?) fit the argument.

You are overrating Crowell. Even if both sides weren't miffed at each other, there's no way the Bills were going to approach the $3M he was sorely overpaid by the Bucs, considering he gambled too much and usually ended-up losing, and since he still isn't 100% yet, 9 months after having surgery.

BTW, I was looking at rototimes.com, and they have Crowell listed at 6'1" and 235#. With the Bills he was 246#.

You are overrating Crowell. Even if both sides weren't miffed at each other, there's no way the Bills were going to approach the $3M he was sorely overpaid by the Bucs, considering he gambled too much and usually ended-up losing, and since he still isn't 100% yet, 9 months after having surgery.

BTW, I was looking at rototimes.com, and they have Crowell listed at 6'1" and 235#. With the Bills he was 246#.

Listed at 246# by NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/players/angelocrowell/p...le?id=CRO732110

Larry Felser sure sounds like an un-informed hack with this article. Peters held out of the whole training camp last year not part of it. He was offered a contract similar to the one he signed in Philly but refused to accept it.

Peters was offered a contract similar to the one he signed in Philly but refused to accept it?????????????????? Really? Well, I'm excited to hear about that, and I EAGERLY AWAIT A LINK!!! Aware, of course, that there will never be a link, because we have absolutely no idea whether a similar contract was actually offered by Buffalo, none whatsoever. It would be nice if you would present guesses as guesses rather than pretend that you have unearthed a fact that has no actual base in reality.

Not overspending is a classic mode of operation for the Pats. The big difference is they are able to acquire more in trades due to their success. "Players that play for them must be very good for them to be so successful" is the logic of the trading partners. I still wish Crow were on the field on opening day and I don't want RP to go anywhere. That being said as for the rest of the departed, with the exception of PW I can't say I truly miss any of them. Although the jury is out on JP. This one may come back to haunt us for years to come I'm afraid.

No, the Pats overspend as much as anyone else. They just pick and choose their spots. Look at how much they gave Brady. Look at how much they gave Ty Law to stay for an extra year till they could better address their cornerback situation. Dollars to donuts they re-sign Wilfork for huge dollars.

They just don't do it with everybody. They pick the guys they feel are at the most important spots on the team, the guys who can't be easily replaced.

Interestingly, Felser picked the players in the current team who have had disputes with the team....This is a way too one-sided editorial. Sure the Bills could have re-signed Peters if they chose to. The question was if Peters wanted to really sign a contract and be aware of the small-market nature of buffalo.

Crowell showed a lack of respect for his team when he suddenly chose to opt for the surgery. Sure, everyone needs to do what is in their best interest, but football is the ultimate team game and requires everyone on the team to be aware of it. By doing what he did, he put the Bills suddenly in a huge hole in its LB corps. What do you expect the Bills to do ?

Larry is way off the target...Teams release players for different reasons...Even the big Belichek let go of Lawyer Milloy only to see him and the Bills beat up the Pats 31-0....However the Pats had their last laugh when they went on to win the SB.

Also including Pat Williams or Winfield in the equation is stupid....It had nothing to do with this regime.

Nothing to do with this regime. But the team had the same owner in both time periods, didn't they?

Ralph Wilson has been a terrific owner in so many ways over the years. Particularly his willingness to give up higher profits in order to stay in Buffalo has been an absolutely terrific thing for the city. But there's always a downside, nobody's perfect. And this is Ralph's Achilles heel, he gets miffed and takes things personally.

Felser is absolutely dead on, though not all of his examples (Parrish - are they miffed?, they weren't miffed at Pat Williams, he offered them a hometown discount, that was just a truly horrible piece of judgment of future ability) fit the argument.

I was all for the Bills keeping Peters. The fact is the Bills offered him the same deal he signed with Philly & he REFUSED. If he has ANY success with Philly you can bet the house he will pull the same crap with them to renegotiate his contract.

Interestingly, Felser picked the players in the current team who have had disputes with the team....This is a way too one-sided editorial. Sure the Bills could have re-signed Peters if they chose to. The question was if Peters wanted to really sign a contract and be aware of the small-market nature of buffalo.

Crowell showed a lack of respect for his team when he suddenly chose to opt for the surgery. Sure, everyone needs to do what is in their best interest, but football is the ultimate team game and requires everyone on the team to be aware of it. By doing what he did, he put the Bills suddenly in a huge hole in its LB corps. What do you expect the Bills to do ?

Larry is way off the target...Teams release players for different reasons...Even the big Belichek let go of Lawyer Milloy only to see him and the Bills beat up the Pats 31-0....However the Pats had their last laugh when they went on to win the SB.

Also including Pat Williams or Winfield in the equation is stupid....It had nothing to do with this regime.

Of course he picked players who have had disputes with the team. If there hadn't been any disputes, why would they be miffed? That's the point of the article. It's not one-sided at all. Of course in a dispute both sides are angry. Felser's point is that the good teams find ways to hang onto guys, even during disputes, till they can be adequately replaced.

Belichick let Milloy go at just the right time. Milloy had one decent year after that, and never again played at the level he had played at for the Pats. They let him go because of age. The only player Felser mentioned that you could even argue was let go because of age would be Pat Williams. And the guy is still playing at all-star level four or five years later.

I was all for the Bills keeping Peters. The fact is the Bills offered him the same deal he signed with Philly & he REFUSED. If he has ANY success with Philly you can bet the house he will pull the same crap with them to renegotiate his contract.

Let me repeat myself. LINK? You get my meaning here? Just one more time ... LINK?

Where is your evidence that he was offered the same deal? YOU HAVE NO EVIDENCE, AND FOR GOOD REASON. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE - whatsoever - that he was offered the same contract. In fact, the evidence that is out there is that he simply was not offered the same contract, not even close.

And just in case you missed my point .... LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK?

There was a time when Felser was indeed the most informed and best writer in town. Alas, since he more or less retired several years ago, he no long has the cred he did when he was a real practicing journalist. I like that he writes these columns for the Buffalo News for old times sake, but it is more about the nostalgia for those who grew up reading his columns that actually trying to get his take on the team's present situation. Unfortunately, this column reads too much like the ill-informed national bits we get from ESPN and their ilk.

In all honesty, I think the team has done a pretty good job over the years of keeping who they should and waving goodbye to those they shouldn't. Pat Williams is the most notable exception -- and maybe the absolute biggest mistake that Donahoe made in his tenure as GM. The problem with both Winfield and Clements is that they wanted ridiculous paydays -- and got them. I NEVER faulted the Bills for not signing them to the kind of lucrative contracts that they found in Minny and SF. The Parrish thing is something entirely different. My great fear with him is that he winds up in the hands of a team with a quality coaching staff (Like NE) that knows how to make the best use f his unique skills.

Felser is still terrific. Feel free to disagree with him on anything but the guy is still intelligent and still has a great viewpoint and great sources.

I totally disagree with you about Winfield and Clements. Why? Who were our best four CBs in the last ten years or so? I would argue that they were:

1) Clements

2) Winfield

3) McGee

4) Greer

and I would say that McKelvin is up and coming. What do they have in common? Well,

1) Two were first-rounders. And

2) the Bills got nothing in compensation for any of them. And

3) The Bills have spent three first-rounders on CBs and have not signed one of their best CBs to a second contract. Does anybody see that changing next year with McGee? I desperately wish that I did, but I don't.

We develop terrific CBs. We hold on to them so that when they either playing superbly or just beginning to play superbly, we lose them to our unwillingness to sign them to second contracts. Which means that we don't lose money, but we DO LOSE HIGH DRAFT CHOICES on replacing them. Who could we have drafted if we had managed to hold onto our better CBs?

I wish I didn't, but I see us developing Leodis into one of the top 5 CBs in the league and losing him to a team willing to pay him full value. And then I see us spending another high-value pick, probably another first-rounder, on a replacement for him and Youboty and Corner and ....

Which makes us less able to reload on the d-line, the o-line, our LBs, etc.

I wish I didn't, but I see us developing Leodis into one of the top 5 CBs in the league and losing him to a team willing to pay him full value. And then I see us spending another high-value pick, probably another first-rounder, on a replacement for him and Youboty and Corner and ....

Which makes us less able to reload on the d-line, the o-line, our LBs, etc.

I don't think it makes sense to pay CBs top money unless they are really the top 2-3 players in the league...Clements was a tremendous corner, but was he the top 2-3 at his position...The answer is no...The Pats never pay big for the CBs...

The model of picking the top CBs in the draft will be gone, if Jauron is not successful here and is booted out. Unless we get another cover 2 coach, who knows what they would be interested in.

I don't think it makes sense to pay CBs top money unless they are really the top 2-3 players in the league...Clements was a tremendous corner, but was he the top 2-3 at his position...The answer is no...The Pats never pay big for the CBs...

The model of picking the top CBs in the draft will be gone, if Jauron is not successful here and is booted out. Unless we get another cover 2 coach, who knows what they would be interested in.

I might agree with you here about how much you should pay CBs. Though the facts are simply that CBs are now one of the four or so highest paid positions on the team. That's just the way it is. Still, if you don't want to give your guys big money, I can respect that.

But we have selected corners in three out of our last 11 first round picks. You have to do one or the other, pay your best corners so you don't have to spend yet more first-rounders on CBs, or start to get lower-round picks to give starter-worthy performance at the corners. Or else you're going to end up spending 33% of your first-rounders on CBs forever. And we do (and always will) have too many other needs.

And two out of those three first-round CBs came before the Jauron era.

Let me repeat myself. LINK? You get my meaning here? Just one more time ... LINK?

Russ Brandon said that the Bills offered Peters the largest contract in Bills' history. Lee Evan got a deal averaging over $9M/year. Reportedly he was looking for $11.5M/year. Do the math.

Felser lost me when he referred to Peters "assent" into stardom. I think he was loaded when he wrote that thing. That's a high school error.

They showed foresight by drafting replacements for Clements and Winfield. They erred on Pat Williams. Remember when they signed Bryce Paup? They've stepped up when they deemed it necessary.

I don't care what Felser says, really. I'm tired of mediocrity, but dwelling on the past doesn't help. Let's hope they start playing excellent football.

Nothing to do with this regime. But the team had the same owner in both time periods, didn't they?

You give RW too much credit here. The Pat Williams fiasco rests entirely on Greg "we don't like fat guys" Williams and TD wasn't in a position NOT to back his new coach. Ralph gave TD unprecedented power within the organization. That worked out real well didn't it.

Crowell is an average "at best" LB who thoroughly screwed the Bills FO and, more importantly, his teammates at the 11th hour last season. Unprofessional doesn't begin to describe what he did. The Bills were correct in sitting his sorry ass last year. And even if he has an ALL Pro season with the Bucs every year from now to the end of his playing career, that STILL won't change that simple fact.

GO BILLS!!!

Please explain to me how things would be better if we weren't "miffed" at Crowell? From the reports he's still not recovered from his knee surgery. So he would have missed all of last season whether we put him on IR or not. So did putting him on IR change anything?

PTR