Jason Peters Pass-Blocking Skills

It just doesn't seem like a normal day without a JP thread, so:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_detai...ng-board-1.html

sounds like even Philly coaches admit JP's pass-block skills need to be overhauled - JP's got 6 weeks of 1-on-1 with the OL coach scheduled...

good thing he has a fresh fat contract to motivate him (for the moment!)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like even Philly coaches admit JP's pass-block skills need to be overhauled - JP's got 6 weeks of 1-on-1 with the OL coach scheduled...

It might be double hard for Jason.....considering the fact that he has a severe learning disability. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s*it overnight.

Maybe it isn't his blocking technique maybe he just sucks!

"I feel that's true," said Peters, who will become the Eagles' first opening-day left tackle other than Tra Thomas since Jermane Mayberry in 1997. "I'm always willing to learn. I just take it all in and then put it out on the field."

Am I misinterpreting that or does that mean they've never had an opening day left tackle? :devil: What did they do with that position for the first game?

"I feel that's true," said Peters, who will become the Eagles' first opening-day left tackle other than Tra Thomas since Jermane Mayberry in 1997. "I'm always willing to learn. I just take it all in and then put it out on the field."

Am I misinterpreting that or does that mean they've never had an opening day left tackle? :devil: What did they do with that position for the first game?

it means he's the first guy to start at LT on opening day besides Tra Thomas since Mayberry in '97

Try interpreting it again.

Seriously--that was my first thought too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Peters could be ten times better if given superior coaching.

Yeah right....

So what you're saying is O-line coach Jim McNally didn't "make" Jason Peters?

He took an overweight tight end, with limited blocking skills and turned him into a pro bowl left tackle.

McNally was as good as it gets.

I wouldn't be surprised if Peters could be ten times better if given superior coaching.

That is an asinine statement. How was the fat slug supposed to get any coaching when he stayed away from our team the entire offseason and training camp in 2008? And than when he did play, he admitted he basically did not give a sh-t. This is the first step in Philly admitting that Peters is no good. Now, they are trying to salvage him. If the guy is as good as some in the know say, than no way who should he need any reteaching of his technique at the position. I have said all along that the guy is "just not very good", and I will stand by that.

Everybody likes to bash the Bills FO, but they knew what Peters was all about and his level of play. He has no upside from where he has been. There was no way we were going to pay him a mega contract and rightfully so.

I take it to mean one of two things:

Either (a) Philadelphia runs a blocking scheme that Peters needs to get accustomed to, or (b) Philadelphia believes that Peters has merely scratched the surface of his potential as an offensive tackle

Yeah right....

So what you're saying is O-line coach Jim McNally didn't "make" Jason Peters?

He took an overweight tight end, with limited blocking skills and turned him into a pro bowl left tackle.

McNally was as good as it gets.

Juan Castillo is regarded as one of the best o-line coaches in the game. Look what he's done with guys like Jamaal Jackson, Nick Cole, Todd Herrimens, etc. Imagine what he'll do with a guy like Peters.

That is an asinine statement. How was the fat slug supposed to get any coaching when he stayed away from our team the entire offseason and training camp in 2008? And than when he did play, he admitted he basically did not give a sh-t. This is the first step in Philly admitting that Peters is no good. Now, they are trying to salvage him. If the guy is as good as some in the know say, than no way who should he need any reteaching of his technique at the position. I have said all along that the guy is "just not very good", and I will stand by that.

Everybody likes to bash the Bills FO, but they knew what Peters was all about and his level of play. He has no upside from where he has been. There was no way we were going to pay him a mega contract and rightfully so.

Now THAT sounds asinine.

Yeah, ok, Philadelphia traded three picks and made Peters the highest-paid OL ever, but they think he's no good. All of this from an organization that has more ten win seasons than any other since 2000.

Brilliant stuff, Bryce.

Either (a) Philadelphia runs a blocking scheme that Peters needs to get accustomed to, or (b) Philadelphia believes that Peters has merely scratched the surface of his potential as an offensive tackle

what about © they just figured out they have a vastly overated $11MM LT who is still a project at pass blocking.

Yeah, you're right. Mouse McNally was considered a real bonehead in coaching circles.

Something about this is really funny. The 2 time NFL Pro Bowl LT doesn't know how to block.

:devil:

The original poster needs to work on his reading comprehension skills, and everyone that follows needs to learn to actually read the article before commenting. They are simply saying that they believe he is far from the limit of his potential and as such are teaching him the scheme and techniques that are used in Philly, which of course would obviously be different than those in Buffalo.

The only mention that was made of him needing improvement specifically was made by the article's author, and as such is as subject to bias and interpretation as any commenter on this forum.

From the Eagles perspective, I am willing to believe that they see JP as a great acquisition with room to improve into a dominating blocker in every aspect, but I doubt any of their staff feels like they got a sh-- deal at this point.

Just get over the fact that the Bills once again may have mortgaged any chance of winning in the present for the sake pursuing a future that likely will never come to pass. I do hope I'm wrong but we shall see how the Bills porous offensive line gets exploited by the likes of Belichick. It will be ironic when the only thing preventing us from being a SB contender is our weak play around the perimeter of the O line.