GM is selling Hummer to the Chinese

I saw this one coming a mile away. Instead of gearing up for global growth, we are sizing down, which would be the best way to pay down this tremendous debt.

Great acquisition for the Chinese, they've been dying to enter the auto market in a meaningful way. This is one big step for them, and another step in the wrong direction for the U.S in losing it's relevance of the worlds #1 economic power.

There is a firesale on the U.S, everything at 50% off.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aURkkZ4GysuA

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes let them get hooked on big gas guzzlers over there.

Typical, you miss the point, just like a good democrat.

It's not about Hummer per se' and what it brings to them economically to the table. It is the technology they gain, and what this does for them to enter the US and world auto markets. It's about the big picture, which many people don't seem to be able to see.

I saw this one coming a mile away. Instead of gearing up for global growth, we are sizing down, which would be the best way to pay down this tremendous debt.

Great acquisition for the Chinese, they've been dying to enter the auto market in a meaningful way. This is one big step for them, and another step in the wrong direction for the U.S in losing it's relevance of the worlds #1 economic power.

There is a firesale on the U.S, everything at 50% off.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aURkkZ4GysuA

Reading this reminds of landing on Park Place while someone had 18 hotels on it, and I had eight bucks and the hope of passing Go on the next try, and the owner of Park Place looking over my properties and saying, "Look, you have no money, so I'll take this and this and oh, look, railroads!"

Reading this reminds of landing on Park Place while someone had 18 hotels on it, and I had eight bucks and the hope of passing Go on the next try, and the owner of Park Place looking over my properties and saying, "Look, you have no money, so I'll take this and this and oh, look, railroads!"

Well said.

I love it how the students over there laughed in Giethner's face when he tried to tell them their US dollar assets were strong.

I tried out a H3 the other day because I have a GM card and want to burn all the cash before the program goes under. It is a really nice car but I don't have enough leg room with the console there. I'll probably go with a Chevy truck and take my chances on great Government service.

What a F'n Nightmare this is turning into.

It's not about Hummer per se' and what it brings to them economically to the table. It is the technology they gain, and what this does for them to enter the US and world auto markets. It's about the big picture, which many people don't seem to be able to see.

Or maybe you aren't following up and getting the facts, like a good Republican. (I just said that to point out how stupid your comment was. There was no reason for you to take a shot like that.)

The deal doesn’t include Hummer’s military vehicles or technology. AM General of Indiana runs that end of the business. AM General sold the rights to make civilian Hummers to GM in the 1999.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/sto...01/daily28.html

Exactly what technology are you worried about giving the Chinese? Civilian Hummers are pieces of crap, for the most part. They could just buy one and take it apart. Do you think the Hummer unit has some super-secret technology they were getting ready to spring upon the world?

Exactly what technology are you worried about giving the Chinese? Civilian Hummers are pieces of crap, for the most part. They could just buy one and take it apart. Do you think the Hummer unit has some super-secret technology they were getting ready to spring upon the world?

Why didn't Chrysler just buy a Fiat,and take it apart,instead of giving up 20% of the company?

Why didn't Chrysler just buy a Fiat,and take it apart,instead of giving up 20% of the company?

Are you suggesting the answer to that question is "technology", and nothing else?

Are you suggesting the answer to that question is "technology", and nothing else?

Short answer,yes. By your reasoning their would be no industrial spying.Simply buy the competitors product and duplicate it. Which is fine if you are happy with crude copies[see China on anything they manufacture] By buying the brand you are buying all the engineering,and manufacturing development research that produced the product in the first place.

Or maybe you aren't following up and getting the facts, like a good Republican. (I just said that to point out how stupid your comment was. There was no reason for you to take a shot like that.)

http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/sto...01/daily28.html

Dean

Who are you responding to? I was responding to blzrul <_<

In regards to the technology for the Chinese. I'm not talking about any sort of top secret military information, I am talking about auto technology. You missed the point totally like Blzrul.

Hummer is superior to any sort of technology that they have in regards to their autos that they produce. I never said that it was the "silver bullet" that would be a game changer. What I said was that this was "One Big Step for them"

I'm sure you understand when I say step, that is singular. Meaning one step, another words, moving in the right direction. Hummer now will be the first vehicle they have to enter into the US Markets, where as before they didn't have a vehicle that was marketed here. Ok?

This is a big move for them. Why? Because it is the first major move into the North American Auto Markets. Gaining this technology and how it is produced will help them out with future technology. If you don't see that Dean, then I don't know what to tell you.

In regards to your comment about me not having my facts together Dean, point out to me where my facts are wrong if you feel the urge to call me out on it. When it comes to economics, what I usually talk about is fairly accurate.

I guess this is payback for all those American tourists that went to Hong Kong and paid for a hummer

:wallbash:

So GM can't make Hummer profitable but the Chinese will? <_< If the Chinese do better with Hummer than GM I'll eat Jason Peters' excrement. If China has the ability to make great cars why aren't there any that I know about?

They are selling the name not the ability to convince anyone to buy it.

IMO, this is like a heart surgeon selling his equipment to an engineer. The engineer may be able to figure out the technology but that won't make him a successful heart surgeon.

Short answer,yes. By your reasoning their would be no industrial spying.Simply buy the competitors product and duplicate it. Which is fine if you are happy with crude copies[see China on anything they manufacture] By buying the brand you are buying all the engineering,and manufacturing development research that produced the product in the first place.

I hate to tell you this but car companies buy each others products all the time and try to figure out how they do certain things. They aren't looking to duplicate the whole car just things they haven't thought of or want to know more about. In the early seventies Detroit was buying VW Beetles to see how they produced such quality.

Why try industrial spying when you can legally go out and acquire a competitors product. Pen companies don't send in operatives to find out how another companies pens are made. They send a kid from the mail room down to the stationary store.

hate to tell you this but car companies buy each others products all the time and try to figure out how they do certain things. They aren't looking to duplicate the whole car just things they haven't thought of or want to know more about. In the early seventies Detroit was buying VW Beetles to see how they produced such quality.

Why try industrial spying when you can legally go out and acquire a competitors product. Pen companies don't send in operatives to find out how another companies pens are made. They send a kid from the mail room down to the stationary store

Its just that easy. Hows that 1971 Ford Volkswagen bus working for ya?

Its just that easy. Hows that 1971 Ford Volkswagen bus working for ya?

PUNCH!!

Dude, if you read my comments I said they don't try to make the whole car the same they try to duplicate some things. The fact that they couldn't do some things just goes to show you how inept Detroit has been.

Tell me why they would send out corporate spies when they can ascertain the same info from just buying one?

10 miles to the gallon.

That sure is some Great technology.

Come on, you idiots, EVERYONE knows China STEALS the "good" U.S. technology.

Oh...they bought trhe "technology" for severely overbuilt and heavy trucks that were more or less obsolete even before gas prices went up.

Maybe they think they're buying the HMMWV line instead.

I'm really surprised no mouth-breather's made that mistake yet: "Oh my God, we're letting GM sell military vehicles to the Chinese! Between that, their ballistic anti-ship missile, and their Antarctic-based anti-satellite laser, we'll all be speaking Mandarin within a month!"

Chrysler needed the financial backing of Fiat to remain viable, the gov't loans were dependent on getting additional private backing.