Jaws: Edwards is going to be a tremendous NFL quarterback

I don't think that's all his fault. He put on weight last offseason to improve his durability. Then he got his bell rung in Arizona, which was going to take him out no matter who he is. Now he worked with Drew Brees to help learn how to better protect his knees. At least he is working on this issue.

The fact is he hasn't stayed healthy a complete season since H.S. Lets hope the extra weight helps. I doubt it was all Chris Chandlers fault he couldn't stay healthy either but for whatever reason he couldn't.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards does have the ability to be a really good NFL QB. However he can also go the other way into the average category. Edwards has the mentality and he has the accuracy two things any QB must have. Yet he has two concerns one the arm strength and the injury issue.

The arm strength is a more secondary concern I think he has a good enough arm to be a great QB. Its really the injury concern that gets me worried about Edwards. I like Jaws and trust his evaluation of the QB position but he is not saying anything I don't already know about Trent.

I just hope Edwards doesn't turn into Chad Pennington were he has a breakout year than goes up and down with injuries the rest of the way. Pennington is Edwards but I think Edwards has a little bit better of an arm and if Edwards could just stay healthy i would like to have that kind of QB.

I heard he said the same thing about JP.

He did... Sort of.

He said JP was coming into the right situation and he had the most Talent of the 4 QB's (Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger and JP) drafted that year. He wouldnt have to start right away because we had Bledsoe and if he was brought along right he could be a star.

For whatever reason it didnt work. I hope hes right this time

It is true that, like Sam Wyche, Jaws did like JP very much when he entered the league. His combination of arm strength and mobility was very enticing. However, I think it became obvious to even casual observers that JP was simply not ever going to get any better. He just didn't get "it". The hope is that TE will continue to get better the more he plays.

I think if Losman got to start agants teams that edwards started againts in his career maybe people wouldn't be putting Losman down. Look at the total win and lost record of the teams that Losman started againts each year .

2004-27 wins and 21 lost

2005-63 wins and 65 lost

2006-147 wins and 109 lost

2007-68 wins and 44 lost

2008-20 wins and 12 lost

Edwards

2007-64 wins and 80 lost

2008-96 wins and 128 lost

Yeah, what a great O-line they had last year. <_<

the pass blocking wasn't that bad last year....in fact it was above average once fatso settled down a bit.(thats the fatso at LT--I know there were other fatsos on the line)

I think if Losman got to start agants teams that edwards started againts in his career maybe people wouldn't be putting Losman down. Look at the total win and lost record of the teams that Losman started againts each year .

2004-27 wins and 21 lost

2005-63 wins and 65 lost

2006-147 wins and 109 lost

2007-68 wins and 44 lost

2008-20 wins and 12 lost

Edwards

2007-64 wins and 80 lost

2008-96 wins and 128 lost

Losman got his chance to show the rest of the league what he can do when Edwards went down and he sucked. He sucked so bad that Vinny Testaverde will be getting a call before he does.

Losman got his chance to show the rest of the league what he can do when Edwards went down and he sucked. He sucked so bad that Vinny Testaverde will be getting a call before he does.

We had a tougher schedule in 2006 with Losman starting and we finish with 7 and 9 record. last year with the second easiest record and Edwards starting 14 games we still finish wih a 7 and 9 record. I don't think Edwards would've beaten the two teams that Losman started againts. We were 7 and 9 last three years and 2006 was our toughest schedule in our last 4 years.Your right Losman had his chance, but he did play againts some tough teams with not great talent around him and not great coaching either. Record of teams started againts 325 wins and 251 lost. thats a tough win and lost record to go againts with a head coach with a career loosing record .Edwards win and lost record of teams started againts 160 wins and 208 losts. This year will be the first time in years that we had a good no. two reciever and we haven't had a good te in a long time.

It is true that, like Sam Wyche, Jaws did like JP very much when he entered the league. His combination of arm strength and mobility was very enticing. However, I think it became obvious to even casual observers that JP was simply not ever going to get any better. He just didn't get "it". The hope is that TE will continue to get better the more he plays.

Wyche had very real concerns about JP's ability to stay focused on the game... I don't think he was overly impressed with Losman. You have to remember, at the time, Wyche very badly wanted to get back into coaching. The Bills (Mularkey) gave him his only shot. He put everything he had into JP, because it was a reflection on him as well.

You remember JP's first game action in the regular season NFL? It was a late in a blowout loss to the Pats (is there any other kind?). Bledsoe was getting the crap kicked out him. When the game was all but lost, everyone on the Bills sideline assumed that Mularkey would put Shane Matthews in. Matthews was warming up on the sidelines. At Wyches' urging, instead, Mularkey surprised everyone, and told Losman to go in. JP had only recently returned from an a broken leg. Wyche was disillusioned/disgusted, with JP's lack of diligence in staying mentally prepared, while he was injured. The old coach, was urging Mularkey to "scare JP straight" to teach him a lesson about being prepared. If you recall, Losman had about as bad a debut as one could expect.

Also, it is known, that, while Tom Modrak liked Losmans' potential, he was completely opposed to trading into the first round to draft him. Modrak saw him as more of a fourth-fifth round prospect, that could be braught along. Making him a first round pick put a lot of pressure on the coaches, and Losman himself, that he just wasn't equal to. Remember, when people swooned over JP, they really didn't have a lot of choice. It was their job to be on board with him. Mike Mularkey, in fact, ws not really sold on handing the reins over to JP in 2005. MM realized that Bledsoe was fading, but would have preferred to keep him around another year, and slowly work Losman into the starting lineup. TD wouldn't have that.... but make no mistake, most of the coaches had concerns about JP early on. It seems also, in retrospect, that Marv Levy and company drafting Trent Edwards on day one, was a little more than just a case of "we had to draft him, because he was too good to pass up at that spot" as it was portrayed at the time.

I realize that Edwards had some awful times last season, but I am still of the belief that he will be a good, if not great QB, in the NFL. He started out fast, and regressed. It is not an uncommon process in the development of a QB. Jim Kelly (and please, I am not saying Trent will ever approach the greatness of Kelly) started out very well, in his Bills career, and then got better, before he got worse. He had a very good rookie year, and, statistically, very good second season in 1987. But if you recall, during that 1987 season, Kelly's play really slipped late in the season, and was a big reason that the teams playoff hopes faded that year. Trent has shown enough, in my opinion, to still have some optimism about the player he can beome. Having Owens and Evans this year, is not going to hurt him. If his confidence faded a little last year, this can only help him.

Why do you enjoy being so negative about everything the Bills do??? Is that how believe you are supposed to be as a fan? My god it has been 5 months since last season ended. Sure we haven't made the playoffs in many years, but are you so miserable with the team that you refuse to find anything positive out of the offseason? My God, every season hope springs eternal. That is what is AWESOME about rooting for the team. As long as someone as cool as Jim Kelly loves the Bills and is a fixture in his association with the team, I am right alongside him in my support. Until we suck it up again, I am always going to think that THIS is our year. And if you can't get excited about having one of the greatest receivers of all time running routes for us, with the show he is going to bring, than dude it is time for you to go root for another team.

I am curious, were you a fan during the Super Bowl years? Anyone who was a huge fan than, and got so much enjoyment out of those teams, should never give up their loyalty to the current teams. For all the joy they gave us, we owe it to the franchise to never turn our backs on them. I will ALWAYS be a huge fan. Sure I will be upset about losses. But they are still my team. So find some of the love, or go root for the Texans.

<_<

Well said and it's exactly how I think as well. I just don't get people who claim they are fans of a team and just every single move they make, IN JUNE. It really makes little sense to me and I don't get the purpose it serves. I guess it's like meeting a girl of your dreams, but then talking her down to her buddies because you don't think you'll ever get to be with her. It's just weird.