Erie County -- Selling a House

ChasBB

Closing paper for sale of home lists an NFTA fee of $1000. Is this normal? I've never heard of this fee.

Usually there's a $30 courier fee, but in Erie County they are allowed to round it up to the nearest thousand. Either that or it's a fee for your attorney to ride the Metro Bus to your closing. :lol:

That's an "emergency tax" passed many years ago to fund the NFTA when it was basically insolvent. In true WNY form, the tax was never repealed, even though the NFTA's been rolling in money in recent years due to the success of the Buffalo Airport.

The FY2010 NFTA budget shows $7.5 million in 'mortgage tax' revenue (page 17).

In NYS, a transfer tax equivalent to .4% of the sale price (rounded up to the next $500) is payable upon the transfer of real estate

Erie County levies a surcharge equivalent to .5% of the sale price (again, rounded up to the next $500) on the transfer tax. Supposedly, this surcharge goes to the NFTA.

So, for a house in Erie Co. that sells for $250k, the total transfer tax is $2250. Generally, the Seller pays this fee.

In NYS, a transfer tax equivalent to .4% of the sale price (rounded up to the next $500) is payable upon the transfer of real estate

Erie County levies a surcharge equivalent to .5% of the sale price (again, rounded up to the next $500) on the transfer tax. Supposedly, this surcharge goes to the NFTA.

So, for a house in Erie Co. that sells for $250k, the total transfer tax is $2250. Generally, the Seller pays this fee.

All: Thank you very much for the info. I thought maybe my attorney was building up his vacation fund, so I'm relieved to learn that this is legitimate. What a racket, though!

Closing paper for sale of home lists an NFTA fee of $1000. Is this normal? I've never heard of this fee.

i want to laugh but its no laughing matter.....thats brutal....and sounds like they-in their desperation---chose that manner to sneak in another huge tax increase.

plus the brokerage fees....so 6% + 1%......yikes.

All i can say is WOW!!!!!

All: Thank you very much for the info. I thought maybe my attorney was building up his vacation fund, so I'm relieved to learn that this is legitimate. What a racket, though!

Legal, yes. Legitimate? Sounds more like yet another reason why NYS finished dead last in a study about the level of freedoms in the various states.

Legal, yes. Legitimate? Sounds more like yet another reason why NYS finished dead last in a study about the level of freedoms in the various states.

Even as I typed the word "legitimate", I was thinking what you said -- it is definitely a reach to consider taxes like this legitimate.

Nice link, btw -- thanks.

Even as I typed the word "legitimate", I was thinking what you said -- it is definitely a reach to consider taxes like this legitimate.

Nice link, btw -- thanks.

That's actually pretty normal. Maryland's I know is half a percent, with counties adding on a half-percent more; Virginia's is two-thirds of a percent. DC, more than one percent. Did a quick spot-check on the intertubes, and the states I picked have transfer taxes around half a percent.

The NFTA tax is ludicrous, of course...but then, it's the state that said "Oh, yeah, the Thruway toll will last only as long as it take to pay the bond off, sure... :lol::flirt:")

That's an "emergency tax" passed many years ago to fund the NFTA when it was basically insolvent. In true WNY form, the tax was never repealed, even though the NFTA's been rolling in money in recent years due to the success of the Buffalo Airport.

The FY2010 NFTA budget shows $7.5 million in 'mortgage tax' revenue (page 17).

Seriously - I thought the tax wizards in California were creative when I lved there but NYS is running away with the prize. I guess the NYS legislature will never attribute continued polulation declines to an overly burdensome tax situation.

Seriously - I thought the tax wizards in California were creative when I lved there but NYS is running away with the prize.

I'll bet the California pols haven't thought of this scam yet, either:

Margaret Orrange served 30 years as North Collins town clerk before retiring. Well, sort of retiring. She filed her retirement papers in December 2007, at 62, even though she had won re-election to another four-year term the month before.

So Orrange was in Town Hall for the January 2008 swearing-in ceremony, and back on the job the next day — never missing a day’s work although she began collecting a pension from a job she still holds today.

Normally, Orrange would be collecting a $24,000 annual pension. But since her pay is $38,000, the pension is cut off at about $19,000, The News estimates. Next year, when she turns 65, however, Orrange can collect the full $24,000 pension as well as her full $38,000 paycheck, for a total of $62,000.

I'll bet the California pols haven't thought of this scam yet, either:

Margaret Orrange served 30 years as North Collins town clerk before retiring. Well, sort of retiring. She filed her retirement papers in December 2007, at 62, even though she had won re-election to another four-year term the month before.

So Orrange was in Town Hall for the January 2008 swearing-in ceremony, and back on the job the next day — never missing a day’s work although she began collecting a pension from a job she still holds today.

Normally, Orrange would be collecting a $24,000 annual pension. But since her pay is $38,000, the pension is cut off at about $19,000, The News estimates. Next year, when she turns 65, however, Orrange can collect the full $24,000 pension as well as her full $38,000 paycheck, for a total of $62,000.

Have your cake and eat it, too -- nice gig this lady has going. Unreal.