Air France plane

KD in CA

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with no distress call and no locater beacon whatever happened had to have happened very suddenly.

Sounds like an electrical malfunction, possibly from a lightning strike. Doesn't sound good that they'll find any survivors.

I'm in Belgium on business, and just got on a news webite for the first time in two days. Oh my God. I really, really, really miss my wife and kids. All those children now without parents. I'm not looking forward to the ride home.

I'll ask the stupid question.

If you're flying in the middle of the Atlantic and you see a thunderstorm ahead on your instrumentation why do you fly through it?

Planes are hit by lightning all the time. Normally it is no biggie. So lightning may have contributed to the crash but it is unlikely to be the sole cause. So thunderstorms are not normally a major problem.

Planes are hit by lightning all the time. Normally it is no biggie. So lightning may have contributed to the crash but it is unlikely to be the sole cause. So thunderstorms are not normally a major problem.

I suspect it was more the updraft/downdraft associated with T storms then lightning itself.

I suspect it was more the updraft/downdraft associated with T storms then lightning itself.

Sounds like something pretty catastophic, probably the plane was hit by more than one thing going wrong in very quick succession, but it is rare for planes to just drop out of the sky like this, whatever the conditions.

Taking off and landing, on the other hand, are where things fairly regularly go breasts up.

Terribly sad. And unless the weeckage and black box can be found, we will never know what happened.

The Atlantic is about 14,000ft deep there. Unless they can pin point the flight recorder no one is sending a submersible out .

I was thinking the same thing when they initially said lightning. Lightning strikes rarely do major damage to a plane, but some violent winds in a storm can toss a plane about. My guess they hit the worst conditions of a storm at exactly the right time to bring it down.

Hopefully they can find something to bring some closure to the families