Rams "Genuine Interest" in Vick?

H2o

You seem to have the mentality of a spoiled fan....or you're related to Michael Vick.

If you were the hiring manager of at any company, would you hire a convicted gambler that stole money from his/her friends? Just because they're released from prison doesn't necessarily mean the convicted felon is trustworthy. These guys need to re-earn the trust of the public before they get a job that earns them more than you or I.

He had dogs fighting. I don't see the relationship between this infraction and his abilities as an NFL qb.

I am 100% certain, he will not do it again, the dog fighting.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He can go out and get a real job if he wants to. He does not have a right to play in the NFL.

I disagree. Paid his debt, let the man make the living he is qualified for. It is beyond clear to me, that is the way we have society set up here.

He had dogs fighting. I don't see the relationship between this infraction and his abilities as an NFL qb.

Again....what makes you so sure? You know Michael Vick so well to say that he won't do it again?

C'mon.

It wasn't the dog fighting as much as his torture and murder of the animals. Most can deal with the fighting. What he did to those animals was horrific.

I disagree. Paid his debt, let the man make the living he is qualified for. It is beyond clear to me, that is the way we have society set up here.

Which part do you disagree with? He does not have the right to play in the NFL. The league is within its rights to deny him entry back in.

Which part do you disagree with? He does not have the right to play in the NFL. The league is within its rights to deny him entry back in.

I'm not so sure of that. They pretty much have a monopoly for that job. The man paid his debt as far as the law is concerned. Would be an interesting test case, if they denied him and if he were to litigate it.

I think it is moot though, Goodell will let him back anyway. And he will find it difficult to get a job anyway, most teams don't want him.

If goodell doesnt let him play, that would be very unfair.

He has paid the price for his crimes both state and federal.

Goodell isn't representing the state or fed. He is representing the NFL and whether or not Vick has paid his debt to the NFL has nothing to do with his criminal sentences.

Personally, I think a suspension for 2009 would be appropriate.

It wasn't the dog fighting as much as his torture and murder of the animals. Most can deal with the fighting. What he did to those animals was horrific.

what about the corporations that do hundreds of torturous chemical tests on dogs, cats, monkeys, mice? those tests are horrific.

where is the line drawn between acceptable and unacceptable torture on animals? it's not okay to do dogs, but it is okay to do it on: ___________ ???

I'm not sure if he should be allowed to play again or not, but to all those who don't think the NFL should be able to ban him, think about it this way. Say he worked as a salesman for a manufacturing company. Would that company be justified in not hiring him back after his release from prison, if it felt that it was going hurt the company financially due to decreased sales? In effect, every player in the NFL is a salesman of the game, and the league, and if the NFL feels that it will be hurt by allowing Vick back in, in my opinion it has every right to ban him. It's not about punishing Vick, it's about doing what's right for the league.

He's a convicted felon. Goodell has been known, so far, as the Commissioner most dedicated to cleaning up the league's image...if he ever reinstates a convicted felon, how can he ever be taken seriously again? He'll look like a hypocrite...and let's not forget the public backlash that will happen to whatever team is stupid enough to sign this guy...protests, riots, and God knows what else.

Backlash? People forgive and forget if it''s a celebrity or sports star. I can't believe how many people were in OJ's corner even though everyone knew he committed murder. As another example, I am so stupid that even though I get pissed at the Bills every year, when the next season starts I convince myself that this time it will be different and they will do well.

what about the corporations that do hundreds of torturous chemical tests on dogs, cats, monkeys, mice? those tests are horrific.

where is the line drawn between acceptable and unacceptable torture on animals? it's not okay to do dogs, but it is okay to do it on: ___________ ???

Corporations doing testing was not part of this conversation. If you would like to discuss that we can but we were talking about what Vick did.

Gee, great analogy. I didn't realize that those eeeeeevil corporations where doing animal testing purely for sport and gambling. :wallbash:

I'm not sure if he should be allowed to play again or not, but to all those who don't think the NFL should be able to ban him, think about it this way. Say he worked as a salesman for a manufacturing company. Would that company be justified in not hiring him back after his release from prison, if it felt that it was going hurt the company financially due to decreased sales? In effect, every player in the NFL is a salesman of the game, and the league, and if the NFL feels that it will be hurt by allowing Vick back in, in my opinion it has every right to ban him. It's not about punishing Vick, it's about doing what's right for the league.

Exactly. Vick has every right to earn a living. He just doesn't necessarily have that right in the NFL. But wouldn't it just be tragic if he had to go out and get a $20 hour job like most other people in the US.

In response to the "state and federal" debt point, most people probly don't know this, but it is EXTREMELY rare in the United States criminal justice system to be tried for similar crimes at both state and federal levels.

Because Vick was crossing over state borders to transport dogs and make business transactions, that fell into U.S. federal jurisdiction. One of the last U.S. citizens to be convicted for crimes committed in both state and federal courts? Domestic terrorist Timothy McVey. Yep, that guy that killed 168 people. Did Vick kill any people? No. But he is in some quite dispicable company.

Does Vick deserve another chance to play professional football? Maybe. That answer will only be provided by Goodell. Its really amazing with all this published material on his potential return to a potential team if this scenario then that scenario play out. He's not even allowed back in the league yet. Until Goodell answers the above question, this is all hearsay and useless conjecture.

my condolences to St. Louis...

anyone who willingingly kills 10's - 100's of dogs for profit and entertainment (especially when sed person is a multi-millionaire in the NFL) does not deserve another chance.

I will be rooting for his demise every second he is in the NFL.

he has his 2nd chance, he is out of jail, but I do not beleive he deserves to be re-instated in the NFL... He can go wash dishes or tend bar somewhere

Gee, great analogy. I didn't realize that those eeeeeevil corporations where doing animal testing purely for sport and gambling. :wallbash:

what michael vick did was no worse or better than what happens everyday in laboratories everywhere in the world. get over yourselves.

my condolences to St. Louis...

anyone who willingingly kills 10's - 100's of dogs for profit and entertainment (especially when sed person is a multi-millionaire in the NFL) does not deserve another chance.

I will be rooting for his demise every second he is in the NFL.

he has his 2nd chance, he is out of jail, but I do not beleive he deserves to be re-instated in the NFL... He can go wash dishes or tend bar somewhere

What ever happened to capitalism. If a team wants to employ him knowing that his set of skills is rare and can bring a team a win or two more than why should the NFL not be able to not let that team hire him if he has spent his time in jail for the sins he committed. He lost almost two years of his life in jail and about 100 million dollars on his contract. He is bankrupt and he will forever be branded as a dog killer what more do you want him to loose.

Where were all these protesters when Mike Tyson was allowed to box for millions of dollars after he raped a women ( which in my opinion is worse than what Vick did ). Do you root for Leonard Little to fail because he killed a person because he was to lazy to get a cab instead of driving home drunk. Honestly there are so many sumbags in the NFL. People who risk the lives of others by driving home drunk or beat their wives are all around the NFL.

Vick should not be singled out. What he did was horrible but he paid for it and went to jail for it ( somethings most NFL players don't do ). The league should let him play if a team wants him. I won't root for him but I won't root against him either. I just hope for his own sake he realizes that he has a second chance something most convicts don't get and he shouldn't blow it.

Bingo. The league's Personal Conduct Policy includes the possibility of a lifetime ban. Will Goodell invoke it? Probably not. Should he? I'm glad I'm not the one making that call.

Here's Lombardi's followup: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...-vick-the-rams/

Anyone who says the Rams organization — or GM Billy Devaney or even head coach Steve Spagnuolo — would be worried about Vick’s character is not in touch with how these three might think. First, the present Ram ownership group has never been afraid to select players with a history of some off-the-field issues. Does the name Lawrence Phillips come to mind? Just recently, they selected Claude Wroten, who had many troubles at LSU. The Rams will select talent and, at times, overlook off-the-field issues.

Devaney was director of player personnel in Atlanta from 2006 to 2008. He is intimately aware of all the problems that come with signing Vick, so he has a clear understanding of the positives along with the negatives. He knows the football element very well, what style of offense Vick will require to highlight his skill level.

The Lawrence Phillips draft was a long damn time ago. And Devaney was director of player personnel for the Falcons when Vick lied to Arthur Blank, so he should have a VERY clear understanding of the negatives ...

http://www.petitiononline.com/Banvick1/petition.html

If they dont let him play, he should get a lawyer to sue Goodell, IMO.

Can't forever kep the man from making a living. And not every convicted felon should be confined to a menial job, just because.

He went to college...didn't he get a degree in something other than basket-weaving? No one is saying he has to do anything menial...but he was in organized crime for over 6 years...someone that low doesn't deserve the privilege (it's not a right) to make millions of dollars to play a game.

When they let him out, he has paid his debt, that is the formula of which you were not aware. Seems self-evident to me.

The prosecutors shouldn't have accepted the plea deal....he'd still be taking it up the ass from Bubba for another 10 years if prosecutors hadn't decided to do that.

He was a average QB on his best days, anyway...he was a more successful criminal. As far as 100% certain, you got the lotto numbers, too?

Here's a little food for thought...a lot of the sick criminals like serial killers and the like started out by torturing and killing pets

Backlash? People forgive and forget if it''s a celebrity or sports star. I can't believe how many people were in OJ's corner even though everyone knew he committed murder. As another example, I am so stupid that even though I get pissed at the Bills every year, when the next season starts I convince myself that this time it will be different and they will do well.

Not everyone forgives and forgets. Maybe you and some of your friends might be sheep like that but I think most people aren't like that. Hell, there's plenty of people who want him dead. I think any team that signs him is gonna have to pay for extra security just to ensure no one shoots that loser.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Banvick1/petition.html

He went to college...didn't he get a degree in something other than basket-weaving? No one is saying he has to do anything menial...but he was in organized crime for over 6 years...someone that low doesn't deserve the privilege (it's not a right) to make millions of dollars to play a game.

Its is a right to play in the NFL to an extent. The NFL can't say no Asians or Mexicans in the league because they do not deserve the privilege. So to a degree its a privilege but if you pay the dues and have the ability than as long as a team wants you, you have the right to play in the league.

Goodell should only have the right to suspend the guys who haven't spent time in jail as a way to penalize players for their actions that did not result in any jail time. The United States justice system punished Vick why should the NFL levy any more punishment on top of jail time and taking away his big contract.

Like I said if you want to ban Vick you should ban all the wife beaters and drunk drivers because those scumbags don't deserve the privilege to play in the NFL. Where is the ban Leonard Little petition?