A great Bills come back game long forgotten

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly forgotten in my opinion! That game was the catalyst to the Super Bowl appearances. The Broncos COMPLETELY outplayed the Bills that day and clearly looked like the odds on choice to go that year. The Bills "caught lightning in a bottle" and a classic was born. The interesting thing was that Jim Kelly and crew didn't have much say at all, it was special teams and defense. They became a bonified contender that day and the league took notice in a BIG way! In the larger scheme of things, I believe that was THE pivotal game that transformed Buffalo. Simply great stuff, thanks!!!!

Because of this game in which they totally outplayed, and the win against the Raiders the following week in which they were also totally outplayed, the Bills of 1990 suddenly had a gaudy record that was way better than what it should have been. Some how they grew into their record and became as good as their record indicated them to be.

We had a guy that sat in our section that was the biggest fair weather fan. He would curse and throw tantrums if the Bills were doing anything less than blowing out their opponent. Well he made a big scene during his exit from this game...vowing to never come back the rest of the season after the Bills got down 21-9. Our whole section really let him have it when he showed up for the next game. It reminds me of the people around here who post that they are "done with the Bills for good" when there is yet another heartbreaking loss.

Long forgotten? Are you kidding? That was THE defining game of the season, playoffs not withstanding. You want a long-forgotten classic? Show me a video of the Bills-Raiders game from the very next week. Classic Tasker punt block and James Williams touchdown in another come-from-behind victory from the Cardiac Kids.

Long forgotten? Are you kidding? That was THE defining game of the season, playoffs not withstanding. You want a long-forgotten classic? Show me a video of the Bills-Raiders game from the very next week. Classic Tasker punt block and James Williams touchdown in another come-from-behind victory from the Cardiac Kids.

Raiders game is my favorite. Still watch it once in a while.

A little foreshadowing... Watch that game, as well as the dolphins and raiders playoff games from that year. Now, count how many PATs and field goals norwood missed or barely made through. I hate to piss on the glory years parade, but you'd have to be totally blind to see that he was a major problem that year before the super bowl miss. Compare that to a guy like lindell, who has missed like 1 PAT in his entire time with the bills.

Wow, Norwood missed TWO PAT's?

I was too young then, only 6, but seriously, what was that guy's deal, was he EVER reliable?

Norwood was a pro bowl kicker at that time. However the K/P positions have greatly improved in technique. talent, and training over the past 20 years. Hence the current kickers breaking a ton of records.

Wow, Norwood missed TWO PAT's?

I was too young then, only 6, but seriously, what was that guy's deal, was he EVER reliable?

Norwood just had a bad day. It happens to everyone. Norwood was a very reliable kicker.

A little foreshadowing... Watch that game, as well as the dolphins and raiders playoff games from that year. Now, count how many PATs and field goals norwood missed or barely made through. I hate to piss on the glory years parade, but you'd have to be totally blind to see that he was a major problem that year before the super bowl miss. Compare that to a guy like lindell, who has missed like 1 PAT in his entire time with the bills.

Give me Norwood over Lindell any day. At least Norwood was ready and willing to try from 45-plus regardless of conditions. He was a helluva kicker for the time.

I agree. They (commentators) used to love to say he had "ice in his veins" because he made a few clutch kicks to win games, but he had a weak leg -- much like Lindell. I really hope the FO does an extensive search to bring in some real competition at the K position to oust Lindell.

He was pretty bad in '91 too.