College Football

How does everyone on this board feel about college football. Do you enjoy it more than the Bills or the NFL. If so why and is there anything you like about the college game that you feel should be implemented in the NFL.

I don't really like College football to tell the truth I find it to be a less version of the pro game. I also don't like the fact that there is no playoff system. Whats the point of a team like Bosie State playing if they can't win a title even if they run the table. I hate the idea of bowl games because if I was a senior I wouldn't really care about a glorified exhibition.

I also hate the fact that these schools and the NCAA make millions and in the NCAA's case Billions off the players and they don't pay the players and not all of the players are on scholarship.

Now I know that not everyone feels this way but I want to know what everyone thinks of the college game.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does everyone on this board feel about college football. Do you enjoy it more than the Bills or the NFL. If so why and is there anything you like about the college game that you feel should be implemented in the NFL.

I don't really like College football to tell the truth I find it to be a less version of the pro game. I also don't like the fact that there is no playoff system. Whats the point of a team like Bosie State playing if they can't win a title even if they run the table. I hate the idea of bowl games because if I was a senior I wouldn't really care about a glorified exhibition.

I also hate the fact that these schools and the NCAA make millions and in the NCAA's case Billions off the players and they don't pay the players and not all of the players are on scholarship.

Now I know that not everyone feels this way but I want to know what everyone thinks of the college game.

Actually, one of the more vocal proponents of an all-inclusive playoff system is...

Mike Leach

"I like a playoff system....This business of a four-team playoff or an eight-team playoff is just stupid. I think you have to cut the regular season to 10 games. Then I think you need to invite a lot of teams (maybe 64) into a playoff, but you’d let the rest of the teams continue in an NIT-type deal so that they could play another six games or so, which they need to fund their programs."

link

How does everyone on this board feel about college football....

I like college football, but not nearly as much as the NFL. They do need an 8, 16 or even 32 team Football Playoff system. They could use the current bowl games to play them in, if they could figure out how to schedule these bowl games in a new weekly format leading up to the "Final Four" and "Championship Game." I don't care how much money the NCAA makes off the student-athletes, the education they earn should always be enough of a payment back to the players.

I like college football, but not nearly as much as the NFL. They do need an 8, 16 or even 32 team Football Playoff system. They could use the current bowl games to play them in, if they could figure out how to schedule these bowl games in a new weekly format leading up to the "Final Four" and "Championship Game." I don't care how much money the NCAA makes off the student-athletes, the education they earn should always be enough of a payment back to the players.

You realize that most of those kids don't go to class or even graduate. Its athlete first student second.

i like it more than NFL. even bought digital TV to have a chance to watch it. to me, its more like football is meant to be played. but 4 sure they need a playoff-system

Agreed--there's much more action than in an NFL game, and some of the rules (like wider hashmarks), I really like better. The OT system is better, too, but wow, they need a playoff system. 16 teams, 4 rounds, right after finals. (8 is too small, because there will be too many arguments about which overrated Big Ten team didn't get that 8th spot. 16 gives enough room for Ohio State, Penn State, AND Michigan State all to be eliminated by better teams.)

Growing up a Bills fan i always like dthe progame better then college.

But as i get older i like the college game way better overall. I mean i can sit down and watch the Thursday night game on ESPN and really get into it, with neither team being 'my team'. Now i cant do that watching Cincy versus Cleveland on a Sunday afternoon, or Monday night game.

College is great. Where else can you get a Oregon State, who got beat by PSU by like 40, go out and shock a USC. The tailgateing at a College football game especially in the south is ridiculious.

I went a couple of years in a row to the UGA vs Fla game in Jax. Best looking women and most fun you will ever have.

In the south college football is crazy. Its like how Buffalo feels about the Bills but worse.

Have become much more involved with college ball since moving to SEC country. That being said, I will never be as big of a fan as I could be unless and until we have a playoff system. I hate the BCS system.

I hate the knee down rule.

I hate that one, too. Bad, bad rule. I like that only one foot needs to touch inbounds for a completion, though, and I really like that the clock stops on a first down. Makes for many exciting end-of-half drives. (I liked it even better before the NCAA got all NFL and tweaked the rule to make the games shorter.)

i like it more than NFL. even bought digital TV to have a chance to watch it. to me, its more like football is meant to be played. but 4 sure they need a playoff-system

I don't know but with the spread offense and the huge talent disparities between teams I think the NFL has become more like football. Also the OT system screams gimmick as well (even though the NFL OT isn't perfect it is more like in game action). So to me at least I think college isn't as traditional as it use to be and the NFL has become more like a traditional game by comparison.

Define "most"...

The fact that when you play football you get tutors and don't even have to go to class and you can only graduate 70% of your team is horrendous and I have to think that the football players are not graduating in the top fourth of the class. So as long as you play ball who cares about the educational aspect of it.

And if it was about the education why do so many players who can get drafted in the first and second round leave early once their third year is up. Anyone who stays in college when they could get drafted in the top ten is a fool there is no argument.

I used to be a huge NFL nut. Watched as many games as I could, could name most of the starters on every team, knew all the weaknesses and strengths....it was crazy. Over about a 7 or 8 year period, I slowly lost interest in almost all NFL and was completely taken over by NCAA. At this point, if it doesn't directly involve the Bills, I hardly take notice. Meanwhile, I watch every college game I can, no matter the team, conference, or subdivision. Yes, the BCS adds a sour note, but anyone who doesn't watch for that is missing out, and not really a college fan.

Those kids hit the field every game with everything on the line. They pour their hearts into the game, playing for the pride of the their schools, their states, hopes of a future in the NFL, or even just their popularity on campus (which I'm sure is a big enough prize for a 19 year old kid being treated like a god). Doesn't matter who's playing. Could be perennial top 10 team vs a long time bottom dweller, there's always the chance of an upset, and they always give it everything they have.

There may be rules that could be better, and a playoffs are must that will become a part of the game sooner or later. But for pure football, I don't think the NFL comes close.

I love the college game. To me it's much more exciting. I love the variety of systems in use compared to the NFL. Spreads,pro sets,options,even stuff like the wishbone in some smaller programs. A playoff systm would be cool as long as it includes all 11 1-A conference champs. You would also have to have a wildcard slot or 2 to include independants. That would make it at least a 12 team playoff and I don't see that happening any time soon. Anything less than a 12 team format,and I'd rather just stay with what we have,as imperfect as it is. The college kids play with much more passion than the overpayed crybabies in the NFL. NFL Sundays seem boring to me compared to the excitment of the colleges on Saturday.

I used to be a huge NFL nut. Watched as many games as I could, could name most of the starters on every team, knew all the weaknesses and strengths....it was crazy. Over about a 7 or 8 year period, I slowly lost interest in almost all NFL and was completely taken over by NCAA. At this point, if it doesn't directly involve the Bills, I hardly take notice. Meanwhile, I watch every college game I can, no matter the team, conference, or subdivision. Yes, the BCS adds a sour note, but anyone who doesn't watch for that is missing out, and not really a college fan.

Those kids hit the field every game with everything on the line. They pour their hearts into the game, playing for the pride of the their schools, their states, hopes of a future in the NFL, or even just their popularity on campus (which I'm sure is a big enough prize for a 19 year old kid being treated like a god). Doesn't matter who's playing. Could be perennial top 10 team vs a long time bottom dweller, there's always the chance of an upset, and they always give it everything they have.

There may be rules that could be better, and a playoffs are must that will become a part of the game sooner or later. But for pure football, I don't think the NFL comes close.

I always hated that they play for the love of the game argument. The players in the NFL are playing for millions of dollars I think that is a much bigger motivator than pride or popularity. Why do people think NFL players are lazy their contracts are not guaranteed they have to play hard or next year they will be cut.

Its just strange to think a 19 year old playing to be the big man on campus works harder than a 27 year old running back looking to get a deal so that his family is secure (Fred Jackson). Putting food on the table is much more important than making your school which will just wave good bye and leave you with nothing else than a degree proud.

I know its hard to think that a millionaire 28 year old works just as hard as a 19 or 20 year old who has nothing and is striving to get those millions. But that 28 year old doesn't want his window for making millions to close. Also older players don't want to retire any time soon so they play hard to continue playing. I know there are players in the NFL who are lazy and living off of draft status and other things but those players are the minority by far. Also not every college player goes at it 100% every time.