This article is just rediculous

http://www.tonawanda-news.com/local/local_..._141000551.html

Ya know, it really ticks me off when a writer says stuff like this with such a negative attitude. Plus he doesn't know what he's talking about. First off, T.O. played in the Super Bowl with the Eagles hurt and had a great game, and then he goes on to say Drew Bledsoe is a Super Bowl champion. He lost the only Super Bowl he started, and was a back up when the Patriots played the Rams....

What an negative bastard.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, it really ticks me off when a writer says stuff like this with such a negative attitude. Plus he doesn't know what he's talking about. First off, T.O. played in the Super Bowl with the Eagles hurt and had a great game, and then he goes on to say Drew Bledsoe is a Super Bowl champion. He lost the only Super Bowl he started, and was a back up when the Patriots played the Rams....

While he did get the Drew Bledsoe and T.O.'s super bowl facts wrong - he was pretty much on the mark with the rest...

While he did get the Drew Bledsoe and T.O.'s super bowl facts wrong - he was pretty much on the mark with the rest...
'

Actually he wasn't. The whole article is not only off the mark, its a disgrace to journalism. Observe:

You’ve made more news with your behavior than with your ability to play the game.

Incorrect, and clearly a biased statement.

Yet I believe it caters to the Sportscenter faithful who believe that petty individualism is more important than self-respect, let alone respect for others.

WTF is he talking about here? It is the very same Sportscenter faithful that lobbied so hard to have TO excommunicated from the league. Jesus Christ are we going to criticize a news network for showing TOs many unbelievable highlights, or shouldn't we rather criticize them for their smear campaign that they orchestrated in an effort to mitigate their embarrassment and incompetence in pretending Tony Romo was some super all world QB of the future...making TO into a perfect scapegoat.

Take a look at the zanies who came out to greet you at the airport. One of them was dressed like a popcorn bag, for crying out loud. Many of them are probably good people. But if they get too caught up in T.O. Mania, they’ll turn into the type of people for which this area is not known: Jerks.

Ironic, don't you think, that one of the biggest jerks I've ever seen would make such a statement. Also, I'm not sure what he thinks the outside perception of the area is, but I personally moved away so that I wouldn't have to deal with the overabundance of jerk-type people.

We are blue collar. We check in at 9 and punch out at 5. We like our beer cold, especially if it’s from Canada, not St. Louis.

When I grew up in Western NY, what I saw was an awful lot of lazy, uneducated drug addicts taking advantage of the welfare system. Granted there are always hard workers in any region, but to pretend that "blue collar" Buffalo is somehow harder working or grittier than other areas in the country is a pipe dream. Run down, drug infested gang war zones do not qualify as blue collar in my book. Also, I specifically remember Budweiser still being by far the most popular brand of beer when I lived there.

As I was reading the article I was sitting there thinking "WTF planet is this guy from?" and then I realized this article was posted in the Tonawanda News and it all made sense. You can just look at his picture and tell he is from upstate NY. lol.

Sorry but Drew Bledsoe does have a super bowl ring. He may have been a backup at the time they won but he was still there

when they won so he is considered as having won a super bowl. Remember, journalism is one person opinions on things not reporting. I think the article is right on for most of the it. I think that he is saying, that the city and team is about working class people and players. It is not just about me or the glitz.

It's like some people in Buffalo are trying to market the "blue collar" image as if it is desirable and will help bring much needed wealth back into the economy. lolz at that. You are better off dressing up like a bucket of popcorn really.

Sorry but Drew Bledsoe does have a super bowl ring. He may have been a backup at the time they won but he was still there

when they won so he is considered as having won a super bowl. Remember, journalism is one person opinions on things not reporting. I think the article is right on for most of the it. I think that he is saying, that the city and team is about working class people and players. It is not just about me or the glitz.

How many did Drew win when he was actually playing though? Also from dictionary.com:

jour⋅nal⋅ism

  /ˈdʒɜrnlˌɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [jur-nl-iz-uhm] Show IPA

–noun

1. the occupation of reporting, writing, editing, photographing, or broadcasting news or of conducting any news organization as a business.

2. press 1 (def. 31).

3. a course of study preparing students for careers in reporting, writing, and editing for newspapers and magazines.

4. writing that reflects superficial thought and research, a popular slant, and hurried composition, conceived of as exemplifying topical newspaper or popular magazine writing as distinguished from scholarly writing: He calls himself a historian, but his books are mere journalism.

Execellent article and more truth than fiction.. This is the way it is, like it or not.

This guy had a mix of good points and ridiculous points, incorrect facts and truths as folks have pointed out.

He totally missed out on Owen's playing in the Super Bowl. I absolutely agree that the whole welcome mat thing has been overblown and that the Mayor did this as a publicity stunt. Looking through the nation's eyes, this does look like something out of Hooterville, though that town was originally from Petticoat Junction. Green Acres was a spinoff. Technicality, I know.

As far as saying that Buffalo is not known for having jerks, sorry, every fan base has their share. What can be said about Bills fans is that they pretty much live and die with this team, more so than any other team in the NFL. Also it can be said that Bills fans will have less tolerance for a player blasting their teammates or the city in general. See Willis McGahee.

All in all, I just don't get what this guy really expected from writing this article. He tries to be the big defender of the city and standing up to T.O. and his past missteps. Wow, he picked an easy target. Isn't it time to just shut up and let T.O. play? Let's wait for the volcano to erupt if and when it does, but for now, there's no need to heat up the lava.

Outstanding points. Especially since this hack's title with the Tonawanda rag is "night editor." EDITOR! You think an editor of a paper, even one as meaningless as the Tonawanda whatever, would make sure his own damn article was at least acurate with the facts. Forget the fact that the moron is 100% wrong in his opinions. One of Owens' asisstants has already aluded to the fact that the slower pace of Buffalo, and these amazing fans, have got him thinking about playing here beyond this one year contract.

Just think about what James Lofton brought to the Bills back in the day, when he came here almost exactly at the same point of his Hall of Fame career that Owens is at now.

What is the point of this article anyway ? Which of these points is he bashing TO for anyway:

- For generating interest in the fan base and media

- For having had a nice career so far

- For having been given the keys to the city

- For coming to a city with a faltering economy

What exactly ? And to top it all he got those two facts wrong. This is not journalism, it is a pointless rant published in a newspaper.

Just think about what James Lofton brought to the Bills back in the day, when he came here almost exactly at the same point of his Hall of Fame career that Owens is at now.

I just wanted to add that as awesome as James Lofton was, never in his career was he anything approaching the game breaking talent of TO. IMO only Jerry Rice is comparable to TO (TO hasn't eclipsed him yet) but even that could be in jeopardy depending on what happens over the next 2-3 seasons.

For the sake of fairness, when all 3 are finally retired, I believe Randy Moss will be in company with those 2 guys as the 3 greatest WRs ever.

This article definitely has an unprofessional tone to it. To completely disregard a tremendous individual performance for the Eagles in the Super Bowl 6 weeks removed from a broken leg is pretty unprofessional, and that's being nice. It's not hard to type "Terrell Owens" in wikipedia these days.

It read like that rant the columnist from the Dunkirk whatever wrote. I understand that these papers have low circulation, but man, is it hard to fact-check some stuff?

In fact, I think I completely disagree with just about every point this guy makes. This whole "blue collar" Buffalo perception really needs to die. I'm sorry. GM is floundering. Bethlehem Steel closed literally a generation ago. If there's any workmanship identity, its white collar in this town. The biggest rising employer in this area? Debt collection services. Health/car insurance (Geiko, Univera) are employing a lot of people. This "lunch pale, clock in at 6, leave at 4, attitude died in the 1960's. Sure, there are some "worked on the line for 30 years" old-timers left, but coming from a 22 year old trying to get a job in literally one of the worst job markets in a generation, this "blue collar" ideal really is almost patronizing. There simply isn't that kind of work here, or just about anywhere in the United States anymore. China has a pretty large manufacturing base, maybe I should apply there? I just saw on world news tonight last night that the graduating college class of 2009, aka, my class, is entering literally the worst job market since the 1980's, when my parents were graduating college.

Does Buffalo live and die with its teams? Yes. But do we strap up our jumpsuits, drink our coffee while chain smoking cigarettes in work boots, driving our Chevy Trucks to the plant every morning? A sad construction of our once-proud manufacturing past. Keep in mind, fans of the 1960's Bills that actually WOULD get off their shifts to go see games, DRESSED UP TO THEM. You can see pictures of fans in suits and ties (literally) at old games at the Rockpile. This is all ass backwards now. Sorry this was long, I'm out.

'

Incorrect, and clearly a biased statement.

Biased statement, eh? Why don't you look at the careers of TO and Marvin Harrison, who has had at least as great, if not better career. If you did a search, which do you think would have more hits returned? For the majority of his career, you only heard about Harrison when he was doing something great on the field. Are you really going to argue that the same has been true for TO? That he is more known for his great play than his poor sportmanship? Are you retarded?

WTF is he talking about here? It is the very same Sportscenter faithful that lobbied so hard to have TO excommunicated from the league.

"Excommunicated from the League"??? Show me the place where ESPN was trying to make one of it's favorite guaranteed viewing subjects and pure ratings gold get tossed from the League. Simply the dumbest thing I have seen uttered on this site so far by TOs brand new fans.

When I grew up in Western NY, what I saw was an awful lot of lazy, uneducated drug addicts taking advantage of the welfare system. Run down, drug infested gang war zones do not qualify as blue collar in my book.

Buffalo a hotbed of gang activity and filled with drug addicts? hahahaha

As I was reading the article I was sitting there thinking "WTF planet is this guy from?" and then I realized this article was posted in the Tonawanda News and it all made sense. You can just look at his picture and tell he is from upstate NY. lol.

Din't you just say you are from WNY?

Look in the mirror, Cornpone.

We see these guys lashing out with these rants because the city of 80% of the city is a shitheap for crying out loud. I've spent time in Akron, and Akron is more impressive that downtown Buffalo. The whole bluecollar thing is a bunch of crap. the decent blue collar jobs and neighborhoods are largely gone. Its just a bunch of rednecks leftovers from the 70's and their kids who didn't escape the place who who can't figure out why they can't have the same lifestyle and surroundings their fathers had. But it's largely all gone. Gone. Because Buffalonians have been softened by decades of union-driven job creation that all blew up when business people figured out it made no sense to pay a guy $40/hour in salary and benefits to but a bolt in a piece of steel all day. This writer is stuck in the 70's. He says its a 9 to 5 place... barely working 9 to 5 gets you f ing fired in the real world. He is making my point exactly... who wants to run a business in a place where everyone things going 3/4 speed from 9 to 5 is good performance. This is why all the businesses are gone and are not coming back to places like Buffalo. the people are lazy but expect things to be the way they were in the 60's and 70's where the unions guaranteed them the job their daddy had. So forget the blue collar 9to5 crap, that description in the real world (like it or not) is code for "loser".

This article definitely has an unprofessional tone to it. To completely disregard a tremendous individual performance for the Eagles in the Super Bowl 6 weeks removed from a broken leg is pretty unprofessional, and that's being nice. It's not hard to type "Terrell Owens" in wikipedia these days.

It read like that rant the columnist from the Dunkirk whatever wrote. I understand that these papers have low circulation, but man, is it hard to fact-check some stuff?

In fact, I think I completely disagree with just about every point this guy makes. This whole "blue collar" Buffalo perception really needs to die. I'm sorry. GM is floundering. Bethlehem Steel closed literally a generation ago. If there's any workmanship identity, its white collar in this town. The biggest rising employer in this area? Debt collection services. Health/car insurance (Geiko, Univera) are employing a lot of people. This "lunch pale, clock in at 6, leave at 4, attitude died in the 1960's. Sure, there are some "worked on the line for 30 years" old-timers left, but coming from a 22 year old trying to get a job in literally one of the worst job markets in a generation, this "blue collar" ideal really is almost patronizing. There simply isn't that kind of work here, or just about anywhere in the United States anymore. China has a pretty large manufacturing base, maybe I should apply there? I just saw on world news tonight last night that the graduating college class of 2009, aka, my class, is entering literally the worst job market since the 1980's, when my parents were graduating college.

Does Buffalo live and die with its teams? Yes. But do we strap up our jumpsuits, drink our coffee while chain smoking cigarettes in work boots, driving our Chevy Trucks to the plant every morning? A sad construction of our once-proud manufacturing past. Keep in mind, fans of the 1960's Bills that actually WOULD get off their shifts to go see games, DRESSED UP TO THEM. You can see pictures of fans in suits and ties (literally) at old games at the Rockpile. This is all ass backwards now. Sorry this was long, I'm out.

Well said, Peevo. Buffalo has become the "call center" capital of the northeast. PHD candidates making $9/hr answering the telephone all day. We had a f ing PHD in our call center answering telephone, for pete's sake.. why? because all the $30/hr jobs left the area years ago. Peevo, get out while you are young. WNY is not coming back. bet on it. I left 25 yrs ago. best decision I ever made... came back for a couple years 6 yrs ago to take care of aging parents and simply could not stay... the most depressing bunch of people... so negative... just plain done... not the place I grew up in.... get out....

I just wanted to add that as awesome as James Lofton was, never in his career was he anything approaching the game breaking talent of TO. IMO only Jerry Rice is comparable to TO (TO hasn't eclipsed him yet) but even that could be in jeopardy depending on what happens over the next 2-3 seasons.

For the sake of fairness, when all 3 are finally retired, I believe Randy Moss will be in company with those 2 guys as the 3 greatest WRs ever.

Gotta disagree with the bolded part, SGF. Lofton was very near T.O.'s game breaking talent with GB. He sort of fell into the 'unknown' his first stint with the Raiders but was re-born with Kelly and Reed and definately was a game-breaker again with us. Many believe he was considered HOF from just his career at GB, then confirmed it with his contributions here.