If the Bills got Vick, we would welcome him with open arms

Thank God for another rational adult on the boards this late.

And for 9-5-guy: why can't he have his old job back? If a successful CPA was busted for the same crime, when he got out, should he have to shovel sh--, or could he just go back to crunching numbers?

Oh, I'm fairly certain he could go back to crunching #'s - only not for KPMG or Deloitte, on account of they wouldn't hire the lousy f*#k.

Does that help make things a little clearer for you?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God for another rational adult on the boards this late.

And for 9-5-guy: why can't he have his old job back? If a successful CPA was busted for the same crime, when he got out, should he have to shovel sh--, or could he just go back to crunching numbers?

To me it's as simple as this, playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right Vick's entitled to. Like I said earlier, he squandered his opportunity. He was given a access to a college education, whether he chose to use it or not isn't the issue. For the record I don't think most of the criminals currently playing, particularly the ones with multiple counts (yes this includes Lynch) should be allowed in the NFL either. Like I said, it's a privilege they are given, not a right.

As for your attempt at the CPA analogy it's a different occupation, apples and oranges. No one glamorizes a CPA like they do an NFL player not to mention the CPA actually has a degree. How many kids do you hear saying they want to grow up to be a CPA, or CPA's that get big endorsement deals or sneaker contracts? Basically CPA's aren't seen as role models/points of hero worship like NFL players where kids want to do what they do. Not to mention that if it was a CPA that got caught I'm thinking he would of gotten more than the slap on the wrist of 2 years. But keep grasping at straws

Oh, I'm fairly certain he could go back to crunching #'s - only not for KPMG or Deloitte, on account of they wouldn't hire the lousy f*#k.

Does that help make things a little clearer for you?

Yes. Because large accountancy firms are above reproach. Why isn't Arthur Andersen or that list? Maybe because they are all still serving out their felony sentences. Or is it because after they got caught lying cheating and helping other steal they broke up the company and sold it to KPMG, Deloitte, Ernst & Young and Grant Thornton? Most of the folks who perpetrated those frauds and helped companies like Enron cook their books never lost their jobs or went to jail.

Arthur Andersen

White collar crimes are OK.

To me it's as simple as this, playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right Vick's entitled to. Like I said earlier, he squandered his opportunity. He was given a access to a college education, whether he chose to use it or not isn't the issue. For the record I don't think most of the criminals currently playing, particularly the ones with multiple counts (yes this includes Lynch) should be allowed in the NFL either. Like I said, it's a privilege they are given, not a right.

As for your attempt at the CPA analogy it's a different occupation, apples and oranges. No one glamorizes a CPA like they do an NFL player not to mention the CPA actually has a degree. How many kids do you hear saying they want to grow up to be a CPA, or CPA's that get big endorsement deals or sneaker contracts? Basically CPA's aren't seen as role models/points of hero worship like NFL players where kids want to do what they do. But keep grasping at straws

Well, cooler heads will prevail, as people with objectivity and rationale will put their heads together, agree that once someone serves their punishment they get a second chance, and Mike Vick WILL be reinstated. So, maybe it is you that should keep grasping at straws, with your no-second chance soap-box stance.

It seemed like you had your head on straight, until you jumped the shark and came with the "Marshawn should be gone," noise. A 23-year-old with two misdemeanors should get das boot for good?

Yes. Because large accountancy firms are above reproach. Why isn't Arthur Andersen or that list? Maybe because they are all still serving out their felony sentences. Or is it because after they got caught lying cheating and helping other steal they broke up the company and sold it to KPMG, Deloitte, Ernst & Young and Grant Thornton? Most of the folks who perpetrated those frauds and helped companies like Enron cook their books never lost their jobs or went to jail.

Arthur Andersen

Service...

And it's an ace!

Arthur Andersen

Congrats - you get an A+ in Wikipedia 101.

And, you rival Joe Biden in quoting w/out attribution...

"The firm sold most of its American operations to KPMG, Deloitte & Touche, Ernst & Young and Grant Thornton LLP."

link

Reason I didn't mention A2 is because your question was about CPAs & crunching #'s - AA hasn't been a major - or reputable - accounting firm in ages, and the Accenture spinoff's main business is/was consulting of a non-financial nature.

But thank you for helping make my point - while he is a moron, a thug, a criminal, and likely a recidivist, Vick is certainly free to continue his football career in the bush leagues, and that's likely where he'll end up.

Well, cooler heads will prevail, as people with objectivity and rationale will put their heads together, agree that once someone serves their punishment they get a second chance, and Mike Vick WILL be reinstated. So, maybe it is you that should keep grasping at straws, with your no-second chance soap-box stance.

It seemed like you had your head on straight, until you jumped the shark and came with the "Marshawn should be gone," noise. A 23-year-old with two misdemeanors should get das boot for good?

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension. I agree Vick should be given a second chance, how many times do I have to state that? Just not in a job where it is a privilege to perform, not a right where he seems to be under the impression he'll be making 10 million a year. Vick was given an opportunity to get a college education, let him use it to work a normal job making a normal wage.

As far as Lynch goes, did I say "das boot" for good? Heck, you even added a quote that I didn't say. And I'm the one grasping at straws? Maybe a nice year-long suspension, without pay to let him think about what it's like to not be in that privileged position. Not some BS 3 game suspension. While the players need to be responsible for their own actions (and most are) there needs to be real penalties for those who continue to think the rules don't apply to them, or continually put themselves in precarious positions. The key problem is the NFLPA continually fighting for the repeat offenders and not helping police their own membership. They wonder why they are getting a black eye but do nothing to prevent it.

People are oversimplifying the argument. I dont believe people are saying that dogs are as important or more important than humans. However, I believe what Vick did is horrible and evil. It is more evil than an idiot who gets caught with a bag of dope and a gun. And more evil than getting into a scuffle at a nightclub and stabbing some rapper's entourage. Although the end result is not worse, the act is more evil than having too many pops and getting into an accident.

What they do to the family dogs, and the normal dogs is they knock their teeth out with a hammer, one by one so they cant bite at the pitbulls (who are going to be tortured/killed anyway) they allow to attack them.

I know that dogfighting might be accepted in other parts of the world, but so is sex with a 12 year old boy prostitute, and chopping off someone's hand if they steal a candy bar. We are a developed nation and not accepting of savage behavior.

I do believe the NFL should reinstate him after he has paid his dues and makes nice-nice with Goodell. I cant get past what he has done, unless he does something truly outstanding... even then I dont know. I cant root for the Bills if he is our QB. While he deserves a chance to get back in the league, I am not obligated to forget his past doings.

The issue of animal cruelty is important to me. I do realize it isnt as important to others and I dont look down on people who would choose to forgive and forget this.

I just dont understand why people who have similar viewpoints as me on this are getting flamed.

First, the penalty for Vick has not yet been determined by the Commish. Second, as Arthur Blank (interestingly) reiterated yesterday, the Falocns still own Vick, so it will cost whoever is dumb enough to take him more than the league minimum.

Good for you. Now learn some grammar, spelling, and syntax - you millionaire genius, you - and get out there and wax my car.

And I mean it this time, SKOOOOOOOB...two coats of wax...don't con me....

SKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBY

The funny part about this is, you are trying to belittle me about some type of job / service that I am supposedly performing for you but I see this as a reflection of your own life and you must consider this type of employment below you. It's ok if you towel down cars / wax cars and do detail for a living, for you to try to say that anyone's job however meager or small is unimportant is wrong.

The funny part about this is, you are trying to belittle me about some type of job / service that I am supposedly performing for you but I see this as a reflection of your own life and you must consider this type of employment below you. It's ok if you towel down cars / wax cars and do detail for a living, for you to try to say that anyone's job however meager or small is unimportant is wrong.

The self-righteous indignation is just hysterical, SKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBY - especially coming from an ass who announced - with so much false bravado - that "My car is worth more than your house." :lol:

I'm glad you enjoy your work - it is a very important job, and one I just don't have the time to do myself. After you finish the second coat of wax, make sure to vacuum the interior and ScotchGuard the carpets.

When you're done with all that, clean my pool. If you do a decent job, maybe I'll let you take a swim. :thumbsup:

The self-righteous indignation is just hysterical, SKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBY - especially coming from an ass who announced - with so much false bravado - that "My car is worth more than your house." :lol:

I'm glad you enjoy your work - it is a very important job, and one I just don't have the time to do myself. After you finish the second coat of wax, make sure to vacuum the interior and ScotchGuard the carpets.

When you're done with all that, clean my pool. If you do a decent job, maybe I'll let you take a swim. :thumbsup:

ANYONE WHO LIVES IN DETROIT CITY, HAS A CAR WORTH MORE THAN THEIR HOUSE....