Derrick Burgess Trade?

OK - I just read on Rotoworld that team evil is considering making an offer for the Raiders Derrick Burgess:

The Boston Herald reports that the Patriots are "considering" offering the Raiders a future second- or third-round pick for DE Derrick Burgess.

New England and Oakland have done business before, but Al Davis may hesitate this time after getting swindled in the Randy Moss deal two years ago. Still, the offer is more than fair and the Pats definitely can use the pass rush help. Burgess would play weak outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme.

Source: Boston Herald

The guy can bring it - he's one of those DE/OLB hybrids, 6'2", 260, and had 35 sacks over the previous 3 seasons before being injured last year.....he's due $3.5 million in 2009, the last year of his contract (free agent in 2010), and the Raiders had been actively shopping him earlier in the year. Thoughts on this guy?

I'm not sure I'd part with a 2nd or 3rd rounder (and we'd probably need to lock the guy up for more than a year), but maybe Davis would let him go cheap to us to get back at Bellicheck?

He would need to shed about 35 pounds to play in our defensive system.

I'm kidding. Kind of.

He's already undersized by height, that should be enough. And with the 260, he'd be a heck of a third down rusher with Schobel and co.

He's already undersized by height, that should be enough. And with the 260, he'd be a heck of a third down rusher with Schobel and co.

how about we throw in one of our ST receivers since the whole world has already decided Heyward-Bey is going to be a bust

Well I think Burgess is a fit to help our pass rush and take pressure off of Maybin. If this was to happen I think it is almost a certainty that Kelsay would have to get cut or renegotiate ( More likely cut ) than Maybin is purely a situational player who can back up Schobel. Burgess as a bridge for a year or two to develop Maybin and to not make us so reliant on Schobel is the role for Burgess.

However I would only give up at most a fourth for him. A second or even third is just way too much to give for an aging player with injury concerns no matter how good he was or could be. A fourth is worth the chance on a player like Burgess.

With all that being said I just don't see them going after him its not a move they usually make. This is just a move that I don't see the Bills making. As for what the Raiders want for him who knows I think he could be had for a fifth but its the Raiders who knows what they are willing to give up or what they want.

OK - I just read on Rotoworld that team evil is considering making an offer for the Raiders Derrick Burgess:

The Boston Herald reports that the Patriots are "considering" offering the Raiders a future second- or third-round pick for DE Derrick Burgess.

New England and Oakland have done business before, but Al Davis may hesitate this time after getting swindled in the Randy Moss deal two years ago. Still, the offer is more than fair and the Pats definitely can use the pass rush help. Burgess would play weak outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme.

The guy can bring it - he's one of those DE/OLB hybrids, 6'2", 260, and had 35 sacks over the previous 3 seasons before being injured last year.....he's due $3.5 million in 2009, the last year of his contract (free agent in 2010), and the Raiders had been actively shopping him earlier in the year. Thoughts on this guy?

I'm not sure I'd part with a 2nd or 3rd rounder (and we'd probably need to lock the guy up for more than a year), but maybe Davis would let him go cheap to us to get back at Bellicheck?

Good thought. But my guess is that the FO is thinking we're set an end--Schoebel is back, and we drafted Maybin to rush the passer. Kelsay and Denney are otherwise okay as back-ups or as run-stoppers.

Trade Kelsay Straight up for him

Good thought. But my guess is that the FO is thinking we're set an end--Schoebel is back, and we drafted Maybin to rush the passer. Kelsay and Denney are otherwise okay as back-ups or as run-stoppers.

Well Schobel is an injury concern and rookie pass rushers don't exactly light it up in their rookie year. As for Denney and Kelsay they are good backups but they are overpaid and not good at getting to the QB. So the front office may be looking at their DE situation with a little too much optimism

Burgess is an upgrade by a big margin who helps Maybin take on a lesser role and if the Bills had a good FO they would at least look into this. If Oakland wants a third or second than screw them but if they want a fourth or fifth you have to consider it. If they want a sixth or seventh than pull the trigger.