Could all eight Jaguars home games be blacked out?

Lori

Jaguars behind in ticket sales, blackouts loom

By Vito Stellino

Story updated at 1:47 PM on Friday, May. 15, 2009

If Jaguars fans want to see the team play at home this year, they’re probably going to have to buy a ticket.

The Jaguars may be forced to blackout most, if not all, eight regular season home games on TV.

The Jaguars need to sell 50,000 non-premium seats at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium to lift the blackout, but they’re not close to that figure after finishing their season ticket renewal campaign.

Tim Connolly, the team’s senior vice president for business administration, declined to release the figure of how many non-premium seats they’ve sold, but a league source put the figure in the 35,000-range.

Sounds like plenty of good seats available for the Bills' visit down there.

(Hat tip to Paul Kuharsky's AFC South blog for the link.)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

my question is, how do they have such a weak following?

No deep roots for pro football support—the Gators are a much more powerful draw.

All the talk about Jax being a growing community ignores the fact that most of the growth is from transplants, much like all the proud talk about how huge Jax is geographically ignores that most of the area is uninhabited and probably uninhabitable swamp.

Those are my suppositions, based on family there and the like. I do wonder whether the NFL would ever give up on Jax. It is funny, but each of the leagues created to compete with the NFL in the past three decades (WFL and USFL) had teams in Jax, and neither did terribly well.

"Tim Connolly, the team’s senior vice president for business administration, declined to release the figure of how many non-premium seats they’ve sold, but a league source put the figure in the 35,000-range."

No wonder Connolly is always "injured"---he is just trying to spend more time figuring out why the Jags can't sell tickets...

Thanks, Lori. I meant to post this the other day, and then spaced.

I wonder what our resident fake Bills fan, from Jax, will have to say about this?

When Carolina and Jacksonville were awarded franchises, they left St. Louis in the dark on getting back into the NFL (although the St. Louis Purple Stallions was a lame nickname). In hindsight, maybe the League shouldn't have been so smitten with Jacksonville?

No deep roots for pro football support—the Gators are a much more powerful draw.

All the talk about Jax being a growing community ignores the fact that most of the growth is from transplants, much like all the proud talk about how huge Jax is geographically ignores that most of the area is uninhabited and probably uninhabitable swamp.

Those are my suppositions, based on family there and the like. I do wonder whether the NFL would ever give up on Jax. It is funny, but each of the leagues created to compete with the NFL in the past three decades (WFL and USFL) had teams in Jax, and neither did terribly well.

The Jaguars leaving would upset Karl Childers and Banjo Boy... :devil:

my question is, how do they have such a weak following?

The entire State of Fla follow either Miami or Tampa. NOBODY outside of Jax follows the Jags. This will make Fins fans living in Orlando very happy..........................they won't have to worry about Jax being shown instead of Miami.

That franchise is a joke. The league ALREADY lets them skate around the blackout rules. I guarantee the Jags are on TV all 8 times because the owners want it to be that way. They'll find a new way to game the rules or just tarp over 10 or 20 thousand more seats.

I think one, or two, games were blacked out last year (and the year before that), so I assume there will be blackouts. But, you are probably right about them doing what it takes to make sure most of the games are aired.

While bartending, a Jags fan vacationing in Utah pointed out the downward spiral that is the Jaguar franchise...

Even during the years of McCardell, Smith, Brunell, Taylor...they would tarp off sections of seats just to have a sellout...

The topic of a team moving to L.A. was brought up...

He pointed out the rumors of the team moving have been ever-more popular, "that nobody in the area is a pro fan, but a college fan!"

He stated his case about his team moving...

I stated mine...

He honestly believes the Jags will move and that the Bills will never move...

"Its all about fan base, with no fans the team can't survive..."

While bartending, a Jags fan vacationing in Utah pointed out the downward spiral that is the Jaguar franchise...

Wait, there's a bar in Orem?