How about Derrick Brooks?

He was released from the Bucs earlier this year and I think he would be a good fit for the Bills and provide some good veteran leadership on the Defensive side of the ball. He played in the Cover 2 in Tampa and should be able to fit in quickly with the Bills cover 2 and would def be an upgrade even if he only has a year or two left (he's 36 or something I think). I would try to sign him to a one or two year contract and see if it works out. What do you guys think?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/173503-...-becoming-fewer

He was released from the Bucs earlier this year and I think he would be a good fit for the Bills and provide some good veteran leadership on the Defensive side of the ball. He played in the Cover 2 in Tampa and should be able to fit in quickly with the Bills cover 2 and would def be an upgrade even if he only has a year or two left (he's 36 or something I think). I would try to sign him to a one or two year contract and see if it works out. What do you guys think?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/173503-...-becoming-fewer

Well I would love to have Derrick Brooks from two years ago. But I would rather have Pisa he is younger and more of a sure thing. Brooks seems like a guy who might be done he did look really old last year but if Pisa falls through than Brooks is the best option available.

A 36-year-old linebacker? When I hear requests for veteran linebackers like this, I think of Eddie Robinson....still wandering the wilds of Ralph Wilson Stadium looking for his jock after the juke Pennington put on him. No thanks.

I think the Bills have pretty much made it clear they are going to go with Ellison at OLB this year.

They keep bringing in these OLB FAs, and do nothing with them but wait until they sign with other teams. Ellison is, unfortunately, our guy.

I wouldn't close the door on changes yet. I'd love to see Pisa (wish I could spell his last name), but I'm not so certain that Ellison will outperform Harris.

Stupid question - flame away. Where's Bowen slated to be positioned - assuming he makes the team?

I think the Bills have pretty much made it clear they are going to go with Ellison at OLB this year.

They keep bringing in these OLB FAs, and do nothing with them but wait until they sign with other teams. Ellison is, unfortunately, our guy.

If they were so sold on Ellison, why bother bringing in these guys? Word is they are talking contract with Pisa.

Brooks is a grandfather of father time, Pass.

I would love to sign Brooks, however his agent INSISTS that any contract has a stipulation that Brooks be allowed to eat dinner at 4:30 PM. Also, whippersnappers must stay off his lawn and there must be an ample supply of Werther's Originals hard candy in the locker room at all times.

A 36-year-old linebacker? When I hear requests for veteran linebackers like this, I think of Eddie Robinson....still wandering the wilds of Ralph Wilson Stadium looking for his jock after the juke Pennington put on him. No thanks.

That play by Robinson was so pathetic it was funny. Imagine Pennington's recollection. He'll tell his grandkids about that play. On the flip side, I can see Robinsons grandkids poking fun at him. I still think Brooks can play- he doesn't have to be an all-pro. He just has to be average which would be a significant upgrade over Ellison.

Totally disagree. The Bills have done just the opposite by bringing in so many outside linebackers for a look see. If we really loved Ellison, why would we be meeting with all these other OLB's? I would say it is 50/50 whether Keith Ellison even makes our team. I sure hope he does NOT!!!

Totally disagree. The Bills have done just the opposite by bringing in so many outside linebackers for a look see. If we really loved Ellison, why would we be meeting with all these other OLB's? I would say it is 50/50 whether Keith Ellison even makes our team. I sure hope he does NOT!!!

He definitely makes the team. He is a more than serviceable backup. If he was poised to get cut, wouldn't he be lower on the depth chart, now? He isn't old, doesn't make a ton of money, so he isn't going to be cut for economic reasons, if one of these guys is signed to start.

He definitely makes the team. He is a more than serviceable backup. If he was poised to get cut, wouldn't he be lower on the depth chart, now? He isn't old, doesn't make a ton of money, so he isn't going to be cut for economic reasons, if one of these guys is signed to start.

And he should make the team. A good backup with significant starting experience. If he gets cut someone will grab him in a second. Make team, yes, start, let's hope not.

And he should make the team. A good backup with significant starting experience. If he gets cut someone will grab him in a second. Make team, yes, start, let's hope not.

Exactly

he's freakin 36 man. old man magoo is too old for this team.

The Pats seem to have squeaked by with a few old linebackers. Sometimes smarts can keep you just as effective as the young guys who are faster but take just an instant longer to figure out what's happening.

Brooks is one of the smartest LBs in the league, with great instincts. He would be a great addition, though there's a lot of doubt about whether he will even play again.

Dean, I totally disagree with you. Keith Ellison has not been a difference maker for our team. He should not be playing linebacker in the NFL. He is not powerful, athletic, or remotely dominating in any one particular facet of the game. He has no upside, and his awareness and instincts do NOT make up for his lack of physical ability.

I would think someone who posts as much as you would be more astute in evaluating our talent.

Dean, I totally disagree with you. Keith Ellison has not been a difference maker for our team.

He's a BACKUP.

If he were further down the depth chart, he would be a candidate to be released. He is currently the STARTER. He has been the starter, due to injury, for the past two years. If the coaches didn't like him, to the degree they would cut him if they sign another players, why do they still list him, and talk about him as the starting OLB?

Why to you expect he will be released? Do you think most backup players in the NFL are "difference makers". You don't seem to know what the hell you are talking about.

Just say "No!!!" to Derrick Brooks and to Ellison. I hated the selection of Nic Harris, but hope he beats out Ellison somehow, even if he has to go the Tonya Harding route, if Tinoifromsamoa isn't signed. :devil:

Just say "No!!!" to Derrick Brooks and to Ellison. I hated the selection of Nic Harris, but hope he beats out Ellison somehow, even if he has to go the Tonya Harding route, if Tinoifromsamoa isn't signed. :devil:

A Tonya Harding reference. Good one!

The Pats seem to have squeaked by with a few old linebackers. Sometimes smarts can keep you just as effective as the young guys who are faster but take just an instant longer to figure out what's happening.

Brooks is one of the smartest LBs in the league, with great instincts. He would be a great addition, though there's a lot of doubt about whether he will even play again.

maybe we put our older players on the HGH therapy that the Pats are feeding their LBs..

would it be worth it for us to give Brooks a 1-2 year contract and not play every down? is Brooks primarily a pass play or run play linebacker? his Tampa 2 experience is useful, but don't we use a modified Tampa 2 system?

He's a BACKUP.

If he were further down the depth chart, he would be a candidate to be released. He is currently the STARTER. He has been the starter, due to injury, for the past two years. If the coaches didn't like him, to the degree they would cut him if they sign another players, why do they still list him, and talk about him as the starting OLB?

Why to you expect he will be released? Do you think most backup players in the NFL are "difference makers". You don't seem to know what the hell you are talking about.

I like Brooks alot,he may not have the speed and playmaking skills he once had,but he is a great leader,knows the cover2 better than any player on the Bills now and he would make sure every player on defense would be in the right position to make plays.He is the best stop gap player the Bills could sign,i know he is at the end of his career,but it seems to work out for the Patriots.