IS HE REALLY A WORLDCLASS JERK?

so it comes down to this.. would you rather be straight and have no titles or have a cheat for a coach and win a bunch of titles?

Oh God, I don't care what you do. Slap moms if you must. Win a title.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the bible it says bellicheat will be tied up in his underwear in a subway ticket booth and will be sprayed with lighter fluid and set ablaze with my buffalo bills stainless steel lighter.

It is entirely possible for him to be a great coach AND a huge asswipe.

Truth is, I wouldn't call Belicheat a "jerk", he just seems to be totally void of any personality, whatsoever. He has cheated in the past, and I expect has continued to cheat, and will cheat in the future. He hasn't had to face any consequences serious enough to stop. Besides, I doubt he knows any other way.

I'd call him a soulless automaton, and a great football coach.

It is entirely possible for him to be a great coach AND a huge asswipe.

Truth is, I wouldn't call Belicheat a "jerk", he just seems to be totally void of any personality, whatsoever. He has cheated in the past, and I expect has continued to cheat, and will cheat in the future. He hasn't had to face any consequences serious enough to stop. Besides, I doubt he knows any other way.

I'd call him a soulless automaton, and a great football coach.

Your reference to him not stopping cheating reminds me of a great post from one of our resident Pats* trolls a couple weeks back posting a link from right before the 2007 season that he was trying to use to support his position that everyone cheats, but which actually said that the potential for cheating via videocamera had gotten so bad due to suspicions that New England was doing it that the League had sent teams a warning memo about it. This was in July 2007. It hit me then how arrogant someone must be to be warned about cheating so publicly and specifically and still having no problem going ahead and actually doing it anyways. My suspicions are that someone who's as one-track minded as that would do much worse than videotaping. I honestly believe that in 20 years or so we'll finally find out the full extent of what the Pats* did under BB and it will be pretty scandalous, but of course, he'll be dead or senile by then, as will most of the others involved, which is why I expect the full truth to take a while to come out, but that's just me.

Maybe, but I was just rading DJ remarks about OTAs. "We are extremely excited...."

Every time he speaks it makes me sick to my stomach.

I would switch is a second.

Effing weather.

Your reference to him not stopping cheating reminds me of a great post from one of our resident Pats* trolls a couple weeks back posting a link from right before the 2007 season that he was trying to use to support his position that everyone cheats, but which actually said that the potential for cheating via videocamera had gotten so bad due to suspicions that New England was doing it that the League had sent teams a warning memo about it. This was in July 2007. It hit me then how arrogant someone must be to be warned about cheating so publicly and specifically and still having no problem going ahead and actually doing it anyways. My suspicions are that someone who's as one-track minded as that would do much worse than videotaping. I honestly believe that in 20 years or so we'll finally find out the full extent of what the Pats* did under BB and it will be pretty scandalous, but of course, he'll be dead or senile by then, as will most of the others involved, which is why I expect the full truth to take a while to come out, but that's just me.

I wish it was true that some day this full extent will come out, but I am not confident about it, or that it will matter if it does come out.

During those heady couple of weeks when the Bellicheat cheating was first exposed and the Patsies were deprived of the #1 draft pick and some cash, there was the feeling even on the Boston radio stations that this was just the tip of the iceberg and that more cheating allegations would soon come out and that Bellicheat might be forced to resign and possibly Kraft would even fire him. How disappointing the next few weeks were when the league did an amazing cover-up and dismissed any further allegations and Bellicheat was able to arrogantly state that he had simply misread a rule and it was no big deal.

After that big letdown, and realizing that Bellicheat was a total lowlife crook who was going to get away with it, I realized that the NFL was an even bigger lowlife in letting him get away with it to protect its image, etc. So after 20 years I doubt any big new revelation will come out or that people will even care about at that point. If we suddenly found out something about Walsh cheating in the 80's would it really matter? Most people would just say it wasn't the major reason he won the super bowls. Fans don't want their bubble burst about the NFL that they love so much.

On some level it is NFL fans who bare blame for Bellicheat getting away with this. If the NFL suddenly felt that most fans no longer believed the NFL was a fair league after the Bellicheat scandal they would have been forced to deal with it more. But no big outcry occurred and the sports media minimized the whole thing after a couple of weeks when they realized the league wasn't going to do anything major to Bellicheat or the Patsies.

I wish it was true that some day this full extent will come out, but I am not confident about it, or that it will matter if it does come out.

During those heady couple of weeks when the Bellicheat cheating was first exposed and the Patsies were deprived of the #1 draft pick and some cash, there was the feeling even on the Boston radio stations that this was just the tip of the iceberg and that more cheating allegations would soon come out and that Bellicheat might be forced to resign and possibly Kraft would even fire him. How disappointing the next few weeks were when the league did an amazing cover-up and dismissed any further allegations and Bellicheat was able to arrogantly state that he had simply misread a rule and it was no big deal.

After that big letdown, and realizing that Bellicheat was a total lowlife crook who was going to get away with it, I realized that the NFL was an even bigger lowlife in letting him get away with it to protect its image, etc. So after 20 years I doubt any big new revelation will come out or that people will even care about at that point. If we suddenly found out something about Walsh cheating in the 80's would it really matter? Most people would just say it wasn't the major reason he won the super bowls. Fans don't want their bubble burst about the NFL that they love so much.

On some level it is NFL fans who bare blame for Bellicheat getting away with this. If the NFL suddenly felt that most fans no longer believed the NFL was a fair league after the Bellicheat scandal they would have been forced to deal with it more. But no big outcry occurred and the sports media minimized the whole thing after a couple of weeks when they realized the league wasn't going to do anything major to Bellicheat or the Patsies.

What would be the benefit to the League to "cover-up" something that was already on every news channel, in every sports section, on every sports radio station continuously for MONTHS. Why would they hide the sins of a SINGLE bad apple (BB is the only cheater in the league, right fellas?) and let the league's image take a hit when they could just purge the league of BB and end the yammering from guys like you?

And while you're at it, if there was a conspiracy or "cover-up", why would the other owners in the league, especially those who were "cheated" out of SB wins and the HUGE cash windfall that accompanies such a feat, remain silent in the face of such a cover-up? You haven't explained away this huge hole in your argument.

Your argument makes no sense. The only reason I can conceive of for the League, if they did so, to hurry through an investigation and "cover-up" their findings and not suspend BB is that he may have presented them with evidence directly or indirectly that implicated others (coaches, teams, owners) that were involved in similar activities which would point to a league-wide compromise of the game. Otherwise, why "special treatment" for Kraft? Nonsense.

Any of you ready to "give back" those 4 consecutive AFC titles? NO? Why not? Marv has admitted to stealing signals and in fact boasted he had the best signal stealer in the league. If you know the other team's defensive signals before a game or a play (whether you taped them or paid a few guys to photograph or simply write them down)---isn't that cheating?

You are either hypocrites, naive or just simple.

Their defense didn't win that game. Ours lost it.

Holding that offense to 19 points was absolutely ridiculous.

No current team in the NFL could stack up to that team and I include my hometown Colts in that statement. Like him or not the gameplan that the Giants put together for that game was brilliant.

Sorry. Continue with your hatred of the cheater. I will leave the dead horse by the door...

What would be the benefit to the League to "cover-up" something that was already on every news channel, in every sports section, on every sports radio station continuously for MONTHS. Why would they hide the sins of a SINGLE bad apple (BB is the only cheater in the league, right fellas?) and let the league's image take a hit when they could just purge the league of BB and end the yammering from guys like you?

And while you're at it, if there was a conspiracy or "cover-up", why would the other owners in the league, especially those who were "cheated" out of SB wins and the HUGE cash windfall that accompanies such a feat, remain silent in the face of such a cover-up? You haven't explained away this huge hole in your argument.

Your argument makes no sense. The only reason I can conceive of for the League, if they did so, to hurry through an investigation and "cover-up" their findings and not suspend BB is that he may have presented them with evidence directly or indirectly that implicated others (coaches, teams, owners) that were involved in similar activities which would point to a league-wide compromise of the game. Otherwise, why "special treatment" for Kraft? Nonsense.

Any of you ready to "give back" those 4 consecutive AFC titles? NO? Why not? Marv has admitted to stealing signals and in fact boasted he had the best signal stealer in the league. If you know the other team's defensive signals before a game or a play (whether you taped them or paid a few guys to photograph or simply write them down)---isn't that cheating?

You are either hypocrites, naive or just simple.

Your thinking is logical but here is my take on these issues. The NFL is a single institution and the legitimacy of its operations is paramount to the teams being valued at nearly a billion each. Cover up is probably a bad choice of words, esp. as you point out this was all over the news. Damage control is prob. the right word for what the NFL did. Goodell had to acknowledge that Bellicheat had done something illegal and should be punished. But he and the other bigwigs at the NFL tried to get the whole thing finished and over with as quickly as possible, even destroying all the tapes that they obtained from NE! The thing they tried hard to do and succeeded at was to limit the damage so that most fans would not think all of NE's superbowl wins were now seriously tainted. Reports came out shortly after the punishment was announced that some teams, esp. the NFL east teams of Buffalo and the Jets were very disappointed with the light punishment. But when teams and team officials were contacted by the media shortly after that they all stated that this issue was now over and it was time to move on, etc.

The thing is the NFL closed ranks to inhibit potential damage to the league. The media at first, esp. in NE, expected as one talk show host in Boston said "this thing is not going to go away". This was after the initial penalty. They expected further trouble of Bellicheat, but then the whole thing died shortly after that. Bellicheat never seemed worried and seemed annoyed that the media even dared to ask him about the situation after the first week.

On the Marv Levy thing, it is not illegal to try to figure out the opponent's signals (steal signals). It it illegal to do so in ways that NE did. Clearly videotaping the signals was a big advantage because otherwise why would Bellicheat continue to do so after he was told specifically several times not to do so before all this happened. For example in a game against Detroit at NE, NE videotaped the def. staff making the signals. Detroit approached the officials and asked if this was legal since they saw it happening. The official told NE to stop and they did for a while. Later in the half they were found to be doing it again and Detroit again spoke to the officials and they made NE stop again. So Bellicheat clearly thought it gave him an important advantage, and was persistent, even against a team like Detroit in Foxboro!

The story died because it was absolutely beaten to death. When the League called Matt Walsh's careless bluff about the "walkthrough tape"---which everyone was sure existed, the interest died. The fact that the Pats were absolutely destroying opponenets without "illegally" obtained signals added to the demise of the story.

The fact that the BB kept taping, flagrantly, after warning is more evidence that he felt he could push the League around and no one would say anything. Mangini was fine with video taping when he was on the Pats staff. He knew where the Pats video guy would be on the sideline the day he turned rat on BB. All these coaches knew they were being filmed over the years--in fact one story has Herm Edwards on one of those tapes waving at BBs camera from across the field.

If it was such a big deal, so "illegal", why didn't the League bust BBs ass after the first offense against Detroit? Why keep giving him warning after warning if this is such a significant advantage for the team that is taping. And if was such a big deal that "compromised the integrity of the game" then the League would have solved the problem very simply by allowing the defense to receive radio broadcast to helmets as they have done for the offense. Most knew it was just wasn't much of an advantage. I think BB did it to bust these guys balls (look-I'm taping you!)--especially Mangini.

Saying that "clearly" there was an advantage to taping simply because he kept doing it isn't much of an argument. It's like saying prayer must work because people keep on praying. Players think that eating a certain meal or putting their gloves on and off 5 or 6 times in a row will somehow benefit them. The fact that the Pats were able to have a record setting year without "stolen signals" has to question the value of this "ill gotten" info.

Look, every team is allowed to video tape every game, from multiple angles. The best teams have the best caoches who dissect these films to decode the opposition's reponse to plays run by their team. That's how it's done.

Teams have trained their cameras on signal callers for 20 years. Every DC has known this forever. If they continue to stand unobstructed on the sidelines and share their signals with anyone watching, without ever changing them, fine.

The story died because it was absolutely beaten to death. When the League called Matt Walsh's careless bluff about the "walkthrough tape"---which everyone was sure existed, the interest died. The fact that the Pats were absolutely destroying opponenets without "illegally" obtained signals added to the demise of the story.

The fact that the BB kept taping, flagrantly, after warning is more evidence that he felt he could push the League around and no one would say anything. Mangini was fine with video taping when he was on the Pats staff. He knew where the Pats video guy would be on the sideline the day he turned rat on BB. All these coaches knew they were being filmed over the years--in fact one story has Herm Edwards on one of those tapes waving at BBs camera from across the field.

If it was such a big deal, so "illegal", why didn't the League bust BBs ass after the first offense against Detroit? Why keep giving him warning after warning if this is such a significant advantage for the team that is taping. And if was such a big deal that "compromised the integrity of the game" then the League would have solved the problem very simply by allowing the defense to receive radio broadcast to helmets as they have done for the offense. Most knew it was just wasn't much of an advantage. I think BB did it to bust these guys balls (look-I'm taping you!)--especially Mangini.

Saying that "clearly" there was an advantage to taping simply because he kept doing it isn't much of an argument. It's like saying prayer must work because people keep on praying. Players think that eating a certain meal or putting their gloves on and off 5 or 6 times in a row will somehow benefit them. The fact that the Pats were able to have a record setting year without "stolen signals" has to question the value of this "ill gotten" info.

Look, every team is allowed to video tape every game, from multiple angles. The best teams have the best caoches who dissect these films to decode the opposition's reponse to plays run by their team. That's how it's done.

Teams have trained their cameras on signal callers for 20 years. Every DC has known this forever. If they continue to stand unobstructed on the sidelines and share their signals with anyone watching, without ever changing them, fine.

Knowing a defenses signals is a huge advantage because an offense can then run a play to take advantage of that. After a game in 2001 the Patriots offensive coordinator complimented the opponent's DC, I think it was Tampa Bay, and told him that the Patsies had known all their calls but they still stopped the Patsies and won the game. The Patsies coach considered that very impressive. Now whether video taping is the only way to learn the calls or not is open to question, but the Patsies sure made a regular practice of video taping. But I don't think anyone is implying that is the only or even the main reason they won. It could have been just that little edge they needed to win crucial games.

Anyway, Senator Spector, when the Senate held some hearings on the NFL a few months ago publicly reprimanded Goodell for destroying the taped evidence it had against NE. Spector, a former prosecuting attorney, understood that was never the way to handle evidence. Goodell's action made it certain that no one would ever be able, like the US Senate, to look at the evidence against NE again, and possibly draw more damning conclusions. And Goodell's reason for doing so was totally idiotic, that he was afraid the tapes could somehow get in the hands of another NFL team and help them against opponents. You can't just lock them in a vault!!!! And funny as his explanation was, it seems to admit inadvertantly that Goodell (who had watched all the tapes) considered the tapes quite valuable for a team to get a hold of to help them against opponents.