Dick Jauron's insistence on continuity

I will absolutely NOT quit beating this horse until:

A) This team has at least a winning season with DJ as HC, or

B) He is replaced

Quit accepting sub mediocrity.

Don't you know it's "hard to win in the NFL"........................... according to Dick. I loved what Rex Ryan had to say on NFL Network. He said his goal for next year was to win the Super Bowl. Not to make the playoffs, but to WIN the Super Bowl. Asked if he shouldn't set his sights lower, he said if I do, then the players will ALSO.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you know it's "hard to win in the NFL"........................... according to Dick. I loved what Rex Ryan had to say on NFL Network. He said his goal for next year was to win the Super Bowl. Not to make the playoffs, but to WIN the Super Bowl. Asked if he shouldn't set his sights lower, he said if I do, then the players will ALSO.

:flirt:

You're a fan of press conferences, huh? I guess you must not be a fan of Tony Dungy and the guy who steals homeless guys clothes who coaches NE.

But man did Dennis Green and Jim Mora shine in the press room. They even made commercials out of it.

"My good friend Eric Musselman, the former Golden State Warriors coach, always talked to his team about each player improving 10 percent, each coach improving 10 percent and each executive improving 10 percent. That would make the team 30 percent stronger than the previous year."

Clearly, these guy's aren't math majors... :flirt:

Uhh, 0-16 is much worse that 7-9. So, to answer your question, much worse. :flirt:

Yeah, great point. Let's stay put. We're doing great. It's just around the corner. One more year....

Anything you want to add?

Although that's a little grandiose for Ryan to say, I can't find fault with it.

"My good friend Eric Musselman, the former Golden State Warriors coach, always talked to his team about each player improving 10 percent, each coach improving 10 percent and each executive improving 10 percent. That would make the team 30 percent stronger than the previous year."

Clearly, these guy's aren't math majors... :flirt:

Thank you. At least Jauron doesn't make statements like this, even if he is not a very good coach.

Clearly, these guy's aren't math majors... :worthy:

:worthy:

LOL

how much d'you wanna bet that the Fins don't do it again this year?

absolutely agree

no way the Fins go from last to first in 2009. (that 1st place finish in 2008 is problematic)

However, they will probably beat the Bills twice and finish ahead of them in the AFC East

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11746261

Schonert has some of the best skill players in the league in running back Marshawn Lynch and wide receivers Evans and Owens. But as we all know, having skill players does not translate into points if the offensive line is not playing well. Getting Trent Edwards to become quicker with his decisions will help the line. Finding an edge blocker at tight end will help both tackles in pass protection and might allow the Bills to have a strongside run game, something that was not always consistent in 2008.

The Bills have a lot riding on this season, and it will take the best of every player, coach and front office member to reach the playoffs. My good friend, Eric Musselman, the former Golden State Warriors coach, always talked to his team about each player improving 10 percent, each coach improving 10 percent and each executive improving 10 percent. That would make the team 30 percent stronger than the previous year -- and likely resulting in a playoff appearance.

Michael Lombardi and his good friend do not know match - percentages improving do not add up like he is trying to do. Math like that is what caused Wall Street collapse besides unlimited greed.

I also do not agree we have some of the best skill players in the league. If you took them and put them replacing those on a playoff team I do not think it would improve and many teams (i.e. Colts, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Giants) would get worse.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11746261

Schonert has some of the best skill players in the league in running back Marshawn Lynch and wide receivers Evans and Owens. But as we all know, having skill players does not translate into points if the offensive line is not playing well. Getting Trent Edwards to become quicker with his decisions will help the line. Finding an edge blocker at tight end will help both tackles in pass protection and might allow the Bills to have a strongside run game, something that was not always consistent in 2008.

The Bills have a lot riding on this season, and it will take the best of every player, coach and front office member to reach the playoffs. My good friend, Eric Musselman, the former Golden State Warriors coach, always talked to his team about each player improving 10 percent, each coach improving 10 percent and each executive improving 10 percent. That would make the team 30 percent stronger than the previous year -- and likely resulting in a playoff appearance.

Michael Lombardi and his good friend do not know match - percentages improving do not add up like he is trying to do. Math like that is what caused Wall Street collapse besides unlimited greed.

I also do not agree we have some of the best skill players in the league. If you took them and put them replacing those on a playoff team I do not think it would improve and many teams (i.e. Colts, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Giants) would get worse.

I think Schonert is a good coordinator. He needs to try to get TE to open it up a bit...But he did OK for what he had to work with.

how much d'you wanna bet that the Fins don't do it again this year?

What does that matter? I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. They did it last year after a one year overhaul and that alone proves it can be done. I could care less what they do this year, next year or 10 years from now, that was not the point of the post. The Fins may or may not have been a fluke but at least they pulled out a division win and playoff birth. Whether you like the Fins or not(I hate them more then any other team) you have to respect what Parcelles and Sparano did down here. They took the worst team in the NFL and made them a division champ in one year.

Could not disagree more.

This is one terrific article.

To me, you missed out on two of the excellent points this article made.

1) Maybe I just missed this bit of news, but I didn't know that Ralph Wilson wanted some changes among the assistant coaches this year, but Jauron nixed the idea for continuity's sake. Did you guys know this?

"Ralph Wilson, the owner of the Bills, wanted some changes to the staff this offseason, but because of head coach Dick Jauron's insistence on continuity, no changes were made."

2) Talk about horrifying stats!! This really helps explain why Dockery is gone and why we drafted the way we did.

"The Bills' front office and coaching staff talked after the draft about becoming more physical in their offensive line, along with being more physical as an offensive football team. They felt the '08 team lacked toughness to finish plays. This claim is supported by the fact that the Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL in converting third and one, ranking 27th. Converting short yardage is one area that separates good teams from bad ones."

27th? Ouch!!

Could not disagree more.

This is one terrific article.

To me, you missed out on two of the excellent points this article made.

1) Maybe I just missed this bit of news, but I didn't know that Ralph Wilson wanted some changes among the assistant coaches this year, but Jauron nixed the idea for continuity's sake. Did you guys know this?

"Ralph Wilson, the owner of the Bills, wanted some changes to the staff this offseason, but because of head coach Dick Jauron's insistence on continuity, no changes were made."

I was wondering when someone would bring that up. Is it speculation on Lombardi's part or a bit of news we (at least I) didn't have.

2) Talk about horrifying stats!! This really helps explain why Dockery is gone and why we drafted the way we did.

"The Bills' front office and coaching staff talked after the draft about becoming more physical in their offensive line, along with being more physical as an offensive football team. They felt the '08 team lacked toughness to finish plays. This claim is supported by the fact that the Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL in converting third and one, ranking 27th. Converting short yardage is one area that separates good teams from bad ones."

27th? Ouch!!

Horrible, just horrible! (he said doing his best Bill Walton impression)

Well I certainly feel better knowing that Ralph Wilson wanted changes made on the offensive coaching staff and Jauron did want to make any for "continuity". I was hoping to see Schonert and Kuglar replaced with more experienced coaches.

The way the team tanked after Jauron received an extension last season and they way he completly tore up the O line this off season , I wonder if Jauron is hoping to get fired so he can sit back and get paid for doing nothing, not that he is really doing anything now. It would be nice to replace him and have a coach that would win more then 7 games in a season.

Quit beating the dead horse...What good is it to yank the entire system and take another 3 years to implement an offense?

Well, it would allow a decent offense to arrive in town one year earlier than it would if wait for another year of failure before we are willing to admit the obvious.

We just ditched the equivalent of three starters off the offensive line. So if you are hoping to avoid the pain of rebuilding, too late, we are already rebuilding. Unfortunately, we are using the same architects that already built one house of cards.