Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, Schefter said that 10 million was not close to the Bills offer. What are you hearing about what they are offering? Did they go above that or did they low ball him?

I haven't heard, but monitor Schefter on this one. He and Shanahan have a close relationship from collaborating on a book together and Schefter's days as the Broncos' beat writer.

Hey Tim! Good luck with your move and hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. All the best to you and yours.

Thanks much. It was a good peace-of-mind Thanksgiving because we're in the house finally. But still a lot of chaos. Too many boxes and still don't have a phone yet. But we're getting by. Thanks for the warm wishes. Hope everybody enjoyed a great stat to their holiday seasons.

Thanks much. It was a good peace-of-mind Thanksgiving because we're in the house finally. But still a lot of chaos. Too many boxes and still don't have a phone yet. But we're getting by. Thanks for the warm wishes. Hope everybody enjoyed a great stat to their holiday seasons.

Have fun in New Orleans! :flirt:

Have fun in New Orleans! ;)

The last time I ate that much great food in 72 hours was about 15 years ago ... the last time I was in New Orleans. Wow. Commander's Palace, Acme Oyster House, Deanie's ... great hole-in-the-wall bar called The Jimani with sensational poboys.

Scarfing down a soft pretzel at the Atlanta airport yesterday was a huge comedown.

They have a lot of proving to do down the homestretch.

There is no doubting that. But after all these years it's finally nice to see a hated rival get it's butt kicked and have the media report it as it was and not make it smell of roses for them.

I wonder what the turn around has been for TO. Suddenly he isn't dropping passes. New gloves? Stick-em?

There is no doubting that. But after all these years it's finally nice to see a hated rival get it's butt kicked and have the media report it as it was and not make it smell of roses for them.

I wonder what the turn around has been for TO. Suddenly he isn't dropping passes. New gloves? Stick-em?

It's his Quarterback, man. His Quarterback. sniff, sniff

Tim G, There is a tremendous buzz about Shanahan being feverishly courted by the Bills. But what a lot of people are avoiding with the infatuation with the BIG name is that at the end of his career in Denver Shany had a very poor record in evaluating draft picks and free agent acquisitions. What the Bills franchise needs more than anything else is a GM who is very accomplished in evaluating talent..

Pat Bowlan (sic) the owner of the Broncos and a very good friend to Shanahan fired him and absorbed a very expensive contract rather than keep him on the job. What the Bills clueless ownership and imaginary front office need more than anything else is a competent GM who knows how to give direction to a rudderless organization. There is no quick fix to a very hollow franchise. Adding talent and not adding names is what this floundering organization needs more than anything else. A competent Floyd Reese type of hire more than a glitzy Shany hire is most needed to give direction to a very lost organization.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tim,

As a follow up to your post today, do you believe the Bills organization is looking for a "justification" to stick with Fewell, and all the stuff about spending up to $10 million a year was just bluster? And if so, do you think the whole crew (Brandon, Guy, Modrak) stick around if the Bills win Sunday?

Hey Tim,

As a follow up to your post today, do you believe the Bills organization is looking for a "justification" to stick with Fewell, and all the stuff about spending up to $10 million a year was just bluster? And if so, do you think the whole crew (Brandon, Guy, Modrak) stick around if the Bills win Sunday?

I really believe the Bills are closer to a blank slate than they've ever been. It's hard to speculate until they foreshadow their first move. They whole thing could get blown up.

Tim,

Now that it looks like Mike Shanahan will go to Washington, is there any truth to the rumor about John Fox coming here and bringing Charlie Weiss with him?

There can't possibly be any truth to it.

John Fox is employed by another NFL team. You can't plan to hire a guy who might not be available, and even if the Bills were foolish enough to do so, it would be tampering.

Tim,

I'm still a little confused. Did the Bills ever reach out to Mike Holmgren or not? If the Bills did reach out to Holmgren what makes the Browns job that much more attractive?

I've been told the Bills did approach Holmgren.

The Browns have an owner that desperately wants to win, will spend money, is willing to give up total control and isn't afraid to pull the trigger on something dramatic. And the Browns have a more attractive QB situation.

I've been told the Bills did approach Holmgren.

The Browns have an owner that desperately wants to win, will spend money, is willing to give up total control and isn't afraid to pull the trigger on something dramatic. And the Bills have a more attractive QB situation.

You mean the Browns right Tim? Jus messing around man and hey once again thanks for the info.

Tim, lots of people have been saying that with Freddy passing Marshawn, the Bills should be looking to dump Lynch for some draft picks.

I think they should stick with the committee approach, but are you hearing any rumblings about the Bills looking to unload Lynch?

Tim,

I think you were a little hard on Brohm in your article yesterday. Yes he looked pedestrian against the Falcons. Yet he also had stretches 1 drive in particular. Especially considering he was making his first ever NFL start. He didn't get first team reps till wednsday,and he's playing behind one of the worst lines in the NFL. All in all I consider a pedestrian performmance overacheiving,especiallly considering the run game contributed absolutely nothing yesterday.

Tim,

I was listening to the Tony Kornheiser Radio Program from Dec 23rd and he had Ron Jaworski on. Mr. Tony mentioned that Jaws always wanted to be a GM. Mr. Tony has mentioned this before. How crazy would it be that local boy Ron Jaworski comes back to Buffalo as a the GM? I do not think anyone else watches more film on every team in the NFL than he. I think he is a great talent evaluator and knows what schemes work in the NFL today. It would create some local buzz for the Bills ala last years TO signing appeasing the fan base (more importantly put paying fannies in the seats) but then make a splash nationally as Jaws works for ESPN. The only reservation is that Matt Millen kind of messed up the from the booth to the front office path but I Billieve that Jaws can get the job done.

Tim,

I think you were a little hard on Brohm in your article yesterday. Yes he looked pedestrian against the Falcons. Yet he also had stretches 1 drive in particular. Especially considering he was making his first ever NFL start. He didn't get first team reps till wednsday,and he's playing behind one of the worst lines in the NFL. All in all I consider a pedestrian performmance overacheiving,especiallly considering the run game contributed absolutely nothing yesterday.

I wrote that Brohm's debut was "forgettable." I don't think there's any reason to start a scrapbook over what we saw Sunday.

Forgettable doesn't mean good or bad. It just was. And I don't think we'll be looking back it with any fondness or regret.

Tim,

I was listening to the Tony Kornheiser Radio Program from Dec 23rd and he had Ron Jaworski on. Mr. Tony mentioned that Jaws always wanted to be a GM. Mr. Tony has mentioned this before. How crazy would it be that local boy Ron Jaworski comes back to Buffalo as a the GM? I do not think anyone else watches more film on every team in the NFL than he. I think he is a great talent evaluator and knows what schemes work in the NFL today. It would create some local buzz for the Bills ala last years TO signing appeasing the fan base (more importantly put paying fannies in the seats) but then make a splash nationally as Jaws works for ESPN. The only reservation is that Matt Millen kind of messed up the from the booth to the front office path but I Billieve that Jaws can get the job done.

The broadcast booth to management has happened quite a bit in recent years. You mentioned Matt Millen. In baseball there was Bob Brenly, Buck Martinez and Larry Dierker.

Would it be crazy? Probably, given how much Bills realize that establishing institutional credibility is important right now. Going for a broadcaster with no front-office experience would be more outside the box than the Bills would go, but I do like your idea.

Tim, lots of people have been saying that with Freddy passing Marshawn, the Bills should be looking to dump Lynch for some draft picks.

I think they should stick with the committee approach, but are you hearing any rumblings about the Bills looking to unload Lynch?

I haven't heard anything about that specifically, but there were some whispers I never was able to confirm in the fall. Good running backs aren't that tough to find. Just take a look at Fred Jackson ... or Cedric Benson ... The Jets drafted the Doak Walker Award winner in the third round. The AFC East has two backs over 30 who've rushed for 1,000 yards this year.

The problem is, that makes it tough to get any value in a trade. Teams will go find their own solution rather than give up significant assets for somebody else's castoff.

People on this board know how much of a fan I was of Lynch's running style. Heading into the year, I thought he was the best back in the division. But I don't think Bills fans should be bothered to see him go. Not at all.

Hey Tim,

Now that it looks like there won't be job openings in Carolina, Houston, Chicago or Dallas, any chance Cowher will reconsider? Or even talk to the Bills? There doesn't seem to be any great opportunities out there.

Edit: Based on this Chris Brown post, saying that Cowher is taking the same position with the Bucs as he took with the Bills, is there any reason to think the Bills are out of the running?

Hey Tim,

Now that it looks like there won't be job openings in Carolina, Houston, Chicago or Dallas, any chance Cowher will reconsider? Or even talk to the Bills? There doesn't seem to be any great opportunities out there.

Edit: Based on this Chris Brown post, saying that Cowher is taking the same position with the Bucs as he took with the Bills, is there any reason to think the Bills are out of the running?

There are several reasons to think the Bills are out of the running. Not to be flip, but they're the Bills and not all that attractive.

Plus, if Cowher was in play, we'd know about it. So much of what the Bills are doing has gotten out, and Cowher is a guy they'd love to be linked to for PR purposes.

There are several reasons to think the Bills are out of the running. Not to be flip, but they're the Bills and not all that attractive.

Plus, if Cowher was in play, we'd know about it. So much of what the Bills are doing has gotten out, and Cowher is a guy they'd love to be linked to for PR purposes.

Hey, we know what we are. The Bills have to be one of the least attractive jobs in football. The thing is, when news of Cowher rebuffing the Bills first came out, there were a lot more attractive positions in play. Now, according to ESPN today, there might be openings in Jacksonville and Seattle, and before Tampa Bay beat the Saints, they were being talked about. And that seems to be it. Are the Bills really less attractive right now than Jacksonville and Seattle? Please be candid.

Thing is, though -- while Cowher might want to get back in, he still doesn't need to find a job this offseason. Another year on the broadcast side, especially if Fox doesn't get an extension in Carolina, might not look so bad to him...

Thing is, though -- while Cowher might want to get back in, he still doesn't need to find a job this offseason. Another year on the broadcast side, especially if Fox doesn't get an extension in Carolina, might not look so bad to him...

Of course that's true. But ESPN reported Sunday he's making calls to line up a staff, and four years out of the league is a long time. I can't think of any coaches off the top of my head who took that much time and came back as the guy to get.

Hi, Tim, and many thanks for your contributions.

With tempered expectations in the GM and coaching searches being all the rage here in Buffalo, would fans be outreaching the franchise's possibilities in hoping for Gettleman as the GM-to-be?

Are projects like the re-build in Buffalo as un-attractive to executives as they are (or might be) to potential coaching candidates, or are they opportunities to truly assert their authority and imagination over a franchise with little proven leadership/success in the executive ranks, and no organizational "direction" to maintain or abide? With little recognizable talent, direction, or identity, is Buffalo an ideal place to plant one's signature, or is it a disaster area to be avoided?

Hey, we know what we are. The Bills have to be one of the least attractive jobs in football. The thing is, when news of Cowher rebuffing the Bills first came out, there were a lot more attractive positions in play. Now, according to ESPN today, there might be openings in Jacksonville and Seattle, and before Tampa Bay beat the Saints, they were being talked about. And that seems to be it. Are the Bills really less attractive right now than Jacksonville and Seattle? Please be candid.

i know you didn't ask me, but think about it...they HAVE to be the least attractive job based on ralph wilson's track record alone.

even if he let you do what you wanted to do as a coach and/or gm and didn't nickel and dime you to death (two things he's been well known to do by everyone in the league), he's selling off your home games. what coach would want to come into a situation like this playing 1 less home game than everyone else? and that is to say nothing of the fact that his mental competence is questionable. if there were 32 vacancies for coach and/or gm in the league, this would HAVE to be the least attractive.

i know you didn't ask me, but think about it...they HAVE to be the least attractive job based on ralph wilson's track record alone.

even if he let you do what you wanted to do as a coach and/or gm and didn't nickel and dime you to death (two things he's been well known to do by everyone in the league), he's selling off your home games. what coach would want to come into a situation like this playing 1 less home game than everyone else? and that is to say nothing of the fact that his mental competence is questionable. if there were 32 vacancies for coach and/or gm in the league, this would HAVE to be the least attractive.

But there aren't and there are only 3 Toronto games left. No big deal.