Buy Black Experiment

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519965,00.html

"Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed four months ago that for one year, they would try to patronize only black-owned businesses. The "Empowerment Experiment" is the reason John had to suffer for hours with a stomach ache and Maggie no longer gets that brand-name lather when she washes her hair. A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey."

"We've still got that 'the white man's water is colder' mentality," he said. "We can't take us for granted. When we go to our establishments, it's almost like we're doing a favor. That ought to be a given for us."

It seems to me that this is the type of divisive behavior that will harm race relations. I see what they are trying to do, but it just doesn't seem quite right. How will anyone take a black business owner seriously if they think the only reason they are succeeding is because black people refuse to shop at the white owned store due to the race of the owner?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wouldn't work for me. I'm Irish.

I'd just be drunk all the time from visiting too many Irish Bars and you can only eat just so much Corned Beef & Cabbage.

People would call me a racist but I wouldn't care because I would be drunk.

"Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed four months ago that for one year, they would try to patronize only black-owned businesses. The "Empowerment Experiment" is the reason John had to suffer for hours with a stomach ache and Maggie no longer gets that brand-name lather when she washes her hair. A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey."

"We've still got that 'the white man's water is colder' mentality," he said. "We can't take us for granted. When we go to our establishments, it's almost like we're doing a favor. That ought to be a given for us."

It seems to me that this is the type of divisive behavior that will harm race relations. I see what they are trying to do, but it just doesn't seem quite right. How will anyone take a black business owner seriously if they think the only reason they are succeeding is because black people refuse to shop at the white owned store due to the race of the owner?

I think it's hilarious that it's called the "Buy Black" Experiment. I thought we tried that experiment centuries ago, I don't think it worked out so well.

I think it's an interesting experiment. I get what you are saying, but I think the only way this harms race relations is if people view it that way. I look at it from the point of view that they aren't trying to harm "white business" but that they are (a) trying to see if it is even possible to find necessary goods and services from black businesses and (b) trying to support the growth of black business in a grass-roots kind of way.

And I think your last sentence goes a bit far. People always support certain subsections of the population for personal reasons. "Buy American", "Buy Local", "Buy Organic"....Would you assume that the only reason Chrysler sells cars is because people refuse to buy foreign? ( :rolleyes: ...okay terrible example). Would you assume the only reason your local farmers' market succeeds is because people refuse to buy non-local goods?

Bottom line...these types of things tend only to become problems when people label them as problems. If the Anderson's project was called "Boycott Whitey" then I could see a legit beef. Until then, just look at it as a segment of our population engaging in a social experiment.

And I think your last sentence goes a bit far. People always support certain subsections of the population for personal reasons. "Buy American", "Buy Local", "Buy Organic"....Would you assume that the only reason Chrysler sells cars is because people refuse to buy foreign? ( :rolleyes: ...okay terrible example). Would you assume the only reason your local farmers' market succeeds is because people refuse to buy non-local goods?

I do think there is a perception that certain American products can only compete with foriegn products if we place additional taxes or restrictions on foriegn goods. Just look at the auto industry.

I know I am being a little naive in thinking that the best business model and superior service should be the determining factor of whether a business succeeds.

Is it OK to encourage people to only shop in stores owned by people of your own race? I think it is an interesting experiment that the original couple performed and I'm sure it helps to illustrate their point. If they were truly just doing this to raise awareness about the lack of black businesspeople, they could have stopped short of encouraging other blacks to only patronize black businesses. I think at that point it crosses over from research to racism.

Any business that is artificially subsidized or supported is doing a disservice to that establishment in the long run. Giving the illusion of a properly run outfit when it is only succeeding because of a client el that is not motivated by quality of service or product, but by emotion. Can only last so long until and when that business hits hard times, for whatever reason, it cannot sustain itself because they don't have the necessary experience to deal.

We all tend to do buisness with people that we feel comfortable with. Race is sometimes part of that comfort level. I know that my family has always bought more goods and services from other Latinos than from any other group of people. It's not racist,it's just where you have the connections. Sometimes,especially with some of the older folks,they go to people in their own ethnic community even when it's not the best deal,just because of that comfort level. I think the Black community has,historically,done a lot less of it. I have no problem with them doing the same thing the rest of us have been doing all along.

What happens if the black owned store has a white or hispanic running the cash register? What if the milk they buy at that store is produced by a white owned dairy? What about the other way around where it's a white owned store selling milk from a black owned dairy? I have no problem with the idea, but that last example seems like a major problem to me.

Gotta love the stupidity...

Maggie and John Anderson of Chicago vowed four months ago that for one year, they would try to patronize only black-owned businesses. The "Empowerment Experiment" is the reason John had to suffer for hours with a stomach ache and Maggie no longer gets that brand-name lather when she washes her hair. A grocery trip is a 14-mile odyssey.

Riiiight, sit there with a stomach ache because I'm sure CVS has no black shareholders.

Back in the 80's and 90's there was a huge push in DC from the residents to make black owned businesses the only thing going. In fact there was a large korean contingent that owned a lot of the inner city stores. To further their cause the locals started burning down, killing and pretty much torturing the asian store owners to rid the city of any owners who were not black.

I guess there are multiple ways to skin a cat.

Of course you then had a huge uproar when prices went through the roof as there was no competition and all major businesses left.

Politically Correct Racism. [similar to the lack of thought process that it's ok for blacks to use the word ni$$er but it's a capital offense for whites.]

No offense but this is the most retarded thought process ever. you really aren't upset that you can't use a word that is one of the most offensive racial slur in history? It really bothers you that the people who went through slavery and some of the biogtry ever can use it and you can't? If doesn't, you need to get a life and some hobbies because you are a total loser then.

No offense but this is the most retarded thought process ever. you really aren't upset that you can't use a word that is one of the most offensive racial slur in history? It really bothers you that the people who went through slavery and some of the biogtry ever can use it and you can't? If doesn't, you need to get a life and some hobbies because you are a total loser then.

Is that why some 17 year old black kid from Detroit can use it?

Is that why some 17 year old black kid from Detroit can use it?

Personally, I think no one should it. but yes, I definitely think a 17 year black kid has a lot more of a right to use it than a middle age white guy. And again, if you really feel the need to ever argue about the right to use it, I think you need to examine your life. Because I'm guessing it's not very fulfilling if you are pissed off about not being about to use racial slurs.

Personally, I think no one should it. but yes, I definitely think a 17 year black kid has a lot more of a right to use it than a middle age white guy. And again, if you really feel the need to ever argue about the right to use it, I think you need to examine your life. Because I'm guessing it's not very fulfilling if you are pissed off about not being about to use racial slurs.

He has a right to use it because his great-great-great grandparents were enslaved, and his grandparents were discriminated against? It's like saying he's eligible for reparations because of his ancestors were enslaved. And guess what? I could care less if I'm allowed to say the N word or not, but i find "white guilt" completely hilarious.

Isn't a black man President? I now reserve the right to be an equal opportunity offender. That's right you crackers, spic's, slopes and niggas!

Seriously though, your argument about who has the 'right' is ridiculous. Gotta love your moral equivalence scale though. You're priceless! :thumbsup:

Isn't a black man President? I now reserve the right to be an equal opportunity offender. That's right you crackers, spic's, slopes and niggas!

Seriously though, your argument about who has the 'right' is ridiculous. Gotta love your moral equivalence scale though. You're priceless! :lol:

If you are a white person fighting over the right to drop N bombs, you have all ready lost.

"White guilt" or not being a pathetic piece of trash that has to further stupidity? But it's my right as an American to use racial slurs dammit. :thumbsup:

If you are a white person fighting over the right to drop N bombs, you have all ready lost.

"White guilt" or not being a pathetic piece of trash that has to further stupidity? But it's my right as an American to use racial slurs dammit. :thumbsup:

"White guilt" is feeling responsible for something you had absolutely no part of, and bending over backwards to "fix" it.