When would you Extend Trent Edwards

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really

62.5% completion 3051 yards 19 TDs 14 INTs 7.1 YPA

Of course, that was with no running game at all, no tight end, one good WR, terrible OC coaching and play-calling, and the first six games of the season completely hamstrung by the offensive philosophy.

Of course, that was with no running game at all, no tight end, one good WR, terrible OC coaching and play-calling, and the first six games of the season completely hamstrung by the offensive philosophy.

Oh, man. NOW you've done it. :doh:

Simple answer...you extend him once he has done something worthy of an extension. He has not put it together yet and has lots of question marks still. If he steps up this year, for the whole season, and stays healthy, then you look at possibly extending him next year.

lmao...the excuses continue...so when he looks terrible its never his fault right? Im surprised every team in the NFL didnt try to trade for the infoulable, perfect, never makes a mistake Trent Edwards because he is the first player in NFL history to reach that kind of perfection. Geezus

lmao...the excuses continue...so when he looks terrible its never his fault right? Im surprised every team in the NFL didnt try to trade for the infoulable, perfect, never makes a mistake Trent Edwards because he is the first player in NFL history to reach that kind of perfection. Geezus

Hey, if you want to just ignore a pretty decent if not good season despite all of those things I said, please do. And you would be dead wrong and look foolish. I did also say, right after that quote, that "Shortly thereafter, and for the next two years, he did pretty much suck ass though."

EDIT: I thought you were talking about JP's season, not Edwards, since that is clearly what I was talking about. :doh:

Trent's checklist for an extension...

Throw for 24 plus touchdowns

Beat a few good teams

Go at least 3-3 vs the AFC east

Don't look bad in bad weather

Don't get injured

Good list those who extend contracts should consider, though the injury thing would depend on the circumstances. So far, he has met none of your criteria. What are your expectations for this year? I'm thinkingthe first 3 are do-able.

when he does something that warrants a contract extension/ upgrade. TE contract is fine right now, he is playing at the level his paycheck is written for. When he stops being mediocre(or less than) he can get paid mediocre qb money. he has yet to really do anything to impress me, other than not be JP Losman, and that high is starting to where off. He needs to step up and do it quick, otherwise he will be our back up for our new coaching staff next year after dj blows it again this year.

(Kelly's sentence that you quoted pertained to JPL c. 2006, not to TE.)

It's a quandry. Don't want to extend him too soon (before he's gotten over the berm) but if he lights it up in this offense, it's only going to get more expensive. This is a crucial year for TE. After the bit of a sophomore slump he had later in the year (I realize it's not all on him, as the OL mismatch against the 3-4 NTs was bruatal to watch but...) he needs to rebound. Lots of QBs have had a cool-down in their 2nd year starting, even the best of the best. It's the showing in the 3rd season that's often makes or breaks a QB.

Bear in mind, however, that TE's current salary in a 3rd-round pick contract range is what, 400K? He's been a starter in the NFL for almost two seasons at the marquee position where a lot of backups are making $1-2-3M(!). There's been guys with similar or less impressive stats who were relatively making peanuts and did early renegotiating. Tony Romo comes to mind.

There's got to be some antsy-ness to get a new deal on TE's part as well. If he's smart and if he thinks he's going to have a good year, he'll wait until next offseason to negotiate an extension when he has more "hand" in Seinfeld-ese. If there is no contract talk now, it's b/c he's confident, and maybe it's just me but I like to see that. If he has a lot to play for, and when you combine that with other guys who have a lot to play for (T.O.), their game is often elevated.

That means good things for the team on the field. But this is the NFL, and I wouldn't blame him for signing a slightly below-market extension for some security sometime before the season if he has a good TC and preseason or toward the middle of the year if he's played well, factoring in however much the team wants to re: OL --- if Trent's personal progression apart from any young-OL mistakes improves.

Good list those who extend contracts should consider, though the injury thing would depend on the circumstances. So far, he has met none of your criteria. What are your expectations for this year? I'm thinkingthe first 3 are do-able.

If he can't throw at least 24 touchdowns this year with TO, Evans and co. then that's a big problem. There's a lot of question marks regarding Edwards being rugged enough both mentally and physically that I hope are answered one way or the other this season. I lean towards him not being the guy we thought he was going to be with his early success in his first season. The silver lining is if he does crap out then the Bills will no doubt be drafting very high in the 2010 draft. Prime real estate for getting a very good QB prospect.

I think this is a very interesting topic for the Bills FO.

Obviously in a contract year, a player is doing everything in their power to drive up their value and the longer a team waits, the higher that price tag goes up. And obviously, if you wait too long, you could lose the player all together.

*edit* as it has been pointed out, it's not a contract year for him. so that's my bad. However, I still think this is going to be an interesting topic of conversation over the course of the next season.

However, with Trent playing so hot and cold, what when would you look for the Bills to extend him. After last year's start and how there was MVP talk about Trent, he's created a huge buffer for himself in regards to when we can really evaluate him. If he has a great first half, how comfortable would you feel locking him up long term knowing he could self-destruct again like last year. The problem for me is, if you wait much longer past Week 9, then his agent is probably going to tell him to hold out till the offseason. But if we jump the gun, we could potentially get really screwed over.

I'm not saying Trent it is or isn't our guy. I really have no idea which Trent is the real one. I'm just wondering how you all would handle it?

Personally, I would let the entire season run it's course and if he pans out, Franchise him and hope to work out a deal.

when trent can win a game in december in buffalo.

If he can't throw at least 24 touchdowns this year with TO, Evans and co. then that's a big problem. There's a lot of question marks regarding Edwards being rugged enough both mentally and physically that I hope are answered one way or the other this season. I lean towards him not being the guy we thought he was going to be with his early success in his first season. The silver lining is if he does crap out then the Bills will no doubt be drafting very high in the 2010 draft. Prime real estate for getting a very good QB prospect.

We all do realize that last year there were only 7 QBs that threw for 24 or more touchdowns. There were 11 that had 20 or more. So do we all reasonably expect Trent to jump from the bottom 3rd of the league to the top third in one season? Trent threw 11 touchdowns, so he has to more than double his production to hit 24.

Certainly, it seems reasonable with TO now in a Bills uniform. But, it would be a dramatic improvement.

We all do realize that last year there were only 7 QBs that threw for 24 or more touchdowns. There were 11 that had 20 or more. So do we all reasonably expect Trent to jump from the bottom 3rd of the league to the top third in one season? Trent threw 11 touchdowns, so he has to more than double his production to hit 24.

Certainly, it seems reasonable with TO now in a Bills uniform. But, it would be a dramatic improvement.

Yep. Just throwing out arbitrary benchmark numbers that TE has to reach in order to X is, to put it as gently as I can... stupid.

The question was framed regarding how and when Trent would receive an extension. In order for him to get an extension he's going to have to put up some damn good numbers like 24 plus touchdowns. It was not weather he would be deemed as having a "good" season or not.

I think the pass/fail stat line for Trent is 20 touchdowns. If he gets less then that (in a full 16 game season with him, TO and Evans) cut bait, equal or more then we can talk.

Like it or not, there are some very real expectations by ownership, media and the fans regarding the head coach and the starting QB this year.