Salsports: 4 Wide Offense / No Huddle re-confirmed

ESPN's Tim Graham reported last week that the Bills may use a no-huddle offense this season. Not only was this also confirmed to me by a source close to the team, I was also told now that the team has a tight end they feel can be an important part of the passing game (rookie Shawn Nelson), they will look to use much more spread-formations in their base offensive sets, using three wide receivers, plus splitting Nelson out as a 4th receiver, and only using one running back in the backfield. The source said the Bills may do this even when they do not a run a no-huddle. The Bills had incorporated a fullback into their offensive gameplan more often the past two seasons. Running more 4 wide, 1 RB sets would obviously mean there wouldn't be a FB on the field as often.

http://www.salsports.com/NFLMayUpdate.htm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if Trent would just decide to trust the guys split out wide and throw the ball down the field, take some chances with the deep ball, we might look more like the Bills of the early 90's. We have a SOLID group of WR's, a promising rookie TE it seems, and the fire power at RB with Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes to make some serious noise this year. It all comes down to the OL and Trent.

ESPN's Tim Graham reported last week that the Bills may use a no-huddle offense this season. Not only was this also confirmed to me by a source close to the team, I was also told now that the team has a tight end they feel can be an important part of the passing game (rookie Shawn Nelson), they will look to use much more spread-formations in their base offensive sets, using three wide receivers, plus splitting Nelson out as a 4th receiver, and only using one running back in the backfield. The source said the Bills may do this even when they do not a run a no-huddle. The Bills had incorporated a fullback into their offensive gameplan more often the past two seasons. Running more 4 wide, 1 RB sets would obviously mean there wouldn't be a FB on the field as often.

Oh dang ... Skooby reported this ... here comes the wishbone ...

Any news about a hurry up offense or any offense that shows some urgency to score is fine by me. The hurry up protects the biggest perceived weakness on the Bills.....The O-Line.

It requires smart, fit players who can adjust on the fly. I feel that is the strength of the Bills '09 O-Line.

....and selfishly, it's flat out exciting to watch!

Any news about a hurry up offense or any offense that shows some urgency to score is fine by me. The hurry up protects the biggest perceived weakness on the Bills.....The O-Line.

It requires smart, fit players who can adjust on the fly. I feel that is the strength of the Bills '09 O-Line.

....and selfishly, it's flat out exciting to watch!

I respectfully disagree. The reason the K-Gun was successful was the play of the O-Line. Those teams were at or near the top of the league in rushing attempts and yards. If our line does not play well , it does not matter what type of offense you run.

I do agree about it being exciting to watch. One of my favorite memories was after the Bills received the opening kickoff and the offense was on the sideline while the refs and opposing D were on the field. The Bills would run from the sideline right to the line of scrimmage. Really cool!!

I respectfully disagree. The reason the K-Gun was successful was the play of the O-Line. Those teams were at or near the top of the league in rushing attempts and yards. If our line does not play well , it does not matter what type of offense you run.

I do agree about it being exciting to watch. One of my favorite memories was after the Bills received the opening kickoff and the offense was on the sideline while the refs and opposing D were on the field. The Bills would run from the sideline right to the line of scrimmage. Really cool!!

I can only hope that's how the first Monday Night Game will start.

Now if Trent would just decide to trust the guys split out wide and throw the ball down the field, take some chances with the deep ball, we might look more like the Bills of the early 90's. We have a SOLID group of WR's, a promising rookie TE it seems, and the fire power at RB with Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes to make some serious noise this year. It all comes down to the OL and Trent.

I think Trent will be fine. Over the last two seasons, whenever the Bills have gone into theit 2 minute O, it seems that Trent just flips a switch and go from mediocre to dominant. There is something about the hurry up that brings out his best and quickest decision making, which I felt he lost over the course of last season.

I respectfully disagree. The reason the K-Gun was successful was the play of the O-Line. Those teams were at or near the top of the league in rushing attempts and yards. If our line does not play well , it does not matter what type of offense you run.I do agree about it being exciting to watch. One of my favorite memories was after the Bills received the opening kickoff and the offense was on the sideline while the refs and opposing D were on the field. The Bills would run from the sideline right to the line of scrimmage. Really cool!!

I think I could have said this a little better. I agree with you about one of the strengths of the 90's K-gun being the O-Line. I think this 2009 version is the same style of O-Line as the 90's group. Smart, agile lineman, not 335 pound slugs like Derrick Dockery.

As dominate as Peters was 2 years ago, he was out of shape and lazy in 2008. The supposed strength of the 2008 line was the left side....Peters and Dockery. Turns out the right side of Walker and Butler was the strength. I won't even mention the Center position......it was horrendous!

I like the makeup of the '09 line better, even with the loss of Jason Peters.

I love how a relatively boring draft had lead to the posibility of a more entertaining offense. I had no problems with the draft, but let's face it. Picking up a pair of guards early isn't going to do much for the casual fan.

I think I could have said this a little better. I agree with you about one of the strengths of the 90's K-gun being the O-Line. I think this 2009 version is the same style of O-Line as the 90's group. Smart, agile lineman, not 335 pound slugs like Derrick Dockery.

You mean like "svelte" 366 lb. "new" LT Langston Walker?

As dominate as Peters was 2 years ago, he was out of shape and lazy in 2008. The supposed strength of the 2008 line was the left side....Peters and Dockery. Turns out the right side of Walker and Butler was the strength. I won't even mention the Center position......it was horrendous!

I like the makeup of the '09 line better, even with the loss of Jason Peters.

I just love how people tend to gloss over the fact Peters was pretty damn good in 2007. Instead, they like to focus in on 2008. Like that year is a foreshadow of he'll play from now on.

I think Trent will be fine. Over the last two seasons, whenever the Bills have gone into theit 2 minute O, it seems that Trent just flips a switch and go from mediocre to dominant. There is something about the hurry up that brings out his best and quickest decision making, which I felt he lost over the course of last season.

you are absolutely correct! He did seem to play much better when they were in the 2 minute offense last year, even in that horrid Cleveland game, he got things going in the last 2 minutes.

Having said that, I am worried about not having max protection to get to our WR's. There is a downfall to it, and that is that we have a young, green O-Line who very well may all be playing a new position next year. That means that there will be a lot of single team blocking next, and the ball will have to get out very quickly. I hope we do a lot of running in that formation.

Neat!

I'd gladly give up 3 or 4 defensive offside penalties in exchange for murdering my opponents' QB! :censored:

you know, i think that's why they want to run this.

they figure trent has a quick brain, but is a little slow on our current O (i think he has too many reads or our plays are too long developing/complicated). if we have an o predicated on pre snap reads and quick decisions, then that is the best thing.

w the quick TE, lee evans, TO and a RB out of the flat we should have a miss match and open hot read every play.

I love how a relatively boring draft had lead to the posibility of a more entertaining offense. I had no problems with the draft, but let's face it. Picking up a pair of guards early isn't going to do much for the casual fan.

Agree, but who cares about the casual fan?

You mean like "svelte" 366 lb. "new" LT Langston Walker?

I just love how people tend to gloss over the fact Peters was pretty damn good in 2007. Instead, they like to focus in on 2008. Like that year is a foreshadow of he'll play from now on.

I was more or less referring to Guard play. Wood, Hantgartner and Butler/Levitre is a more athletic, nastier interior line than Dockery, Fowler, Butler.

No one knows how Peters will play from now on...he just got 60 million and might eat himself out of the probowl. He was dominant in 2007, stunk in 2008 and in 2009 ???. It's a crap shoot for 10 mill a season.