Great NYT article

One of the interesting things about the article is that Jackson does better when there is better blocking (.8 difference) while Lynch does better (.4 difference) when there is a breakdown (although both of their averages are pretty bad when there is a breakdown)

POA.

Now there's a new stat on me that makes a lot of sense. I'm glad he used Buffalo as a case in point. It seemed that 9 out 10 times Lynch rushed last year he disappeared into the line and the only thing I could see were his feet still churning, trying.

It's also apparent the Bills FO knew this as well, given our OL draftees.

Good stuff! :w00t:

Now there's a new stat on me that makes a lot of sense. I'm glad he used Buffalo as a case in point. It seemed that 9 out 10 times Lynch rushed last year he disappeared into the line and the only thing I could see were his feet still churning, trying.

According to the numbers, 2 out of 3 times, the entire line did what it was supposed to on Lynch's carries.

who was the other lineman besides dockery above 80?

Tim wrote about this on his blog this morning; he's trying to get that info from Joyner. Stay tuned ...

POA.

It's also apparent the Bills FO knew this as well, given our OL draftees.

Good stuff! :w00t:

That's exactly what I was thinking while reading the article.

IIRC, Barry Sanders line in Detroit wasn't abysmal but wasn't much below average too. I guess that makes his feats even more admirable.

This guy needed to do a study to figure out that running backs need good blocking? Everyone knows that already...right? All this article did was remind me of just how good Lynch and Jackson are. We averaged about 4 ypc this season with the worst blocking in the league... now if we could only get soem mediocre blocking.

This guy needed to do a study to figure out that running backs need good blocking? Everyone knows that already...right? All this article did was remind me of just how good Lynch and Jackson are. We averaged about 4 ypc this season with the worst blocking in the league... now if we could only get soem mediocre blocking.

Did you read the reason he decided to do the study? Here's the lede:

It has often been said of Walter Payton that one of the most impressive parts of his Herculean rushing totals is that he achieved them behind an offensive line that wasn’t very good. The implication is that the best running backs are able to gain yardage even when they have a breakdown in blocking.

Being the loyal Bill James-disciple that I am, I couldn’t take this type of conventional wisdom on its face and instead had to see if it was true. Can running backs make up for a lack of blocking with their individual efforts? If so, to what extent can they offset subpar help from their teammates?

I am still in the midst of doing the research on this for Scientific Football 2009, but based on what I have seen so far, the answer to the first question is a fairly resounding no.

My guess would be Butler.

You didn't hear?

Butler sucks and should be cut.

Seriously though I'd hedge a bet that it was Butler, look at the improvement in the run game after he came back from injury.

I love the analysis or the process of it. The resluts on the other hand showed that the line sucked. Interesting that Dockery was one of the individuals over the threshold (barely) but he wa the first one gone after the end of the season. Now I wonder where Peters ended up.

I love the analysis or the process of it. The resluts on the other hand showed that the line sucked. Interesting that Dockery was one of the individuals over the threshold (barely) but he wa the first one gone after the end of the season. Now I wonder where Peters ended up.

As the previous poster mentioned, the author states that Peters graded over 90%. Everyone complained about his sack numbers, but he was still a beast in the run game. I am going to sorely miss him

I agree. It was a good article. Thats why we drafter wood and levitre, because they are both known to be nasty and finsish their blocks!!!

Did you bother to read the article? He mentions that only two players finished above 80% for POA.

One of those players was a guy called Derrick Dockery. The left guard. Who they cut (after they botched the attempted trade to Detroit).

Now, I am not saying the release of Dockery was a bad move, but it is apparent that Dockery was one of the better run blockers on the team, despite what some people thought of him.

You didn't hear?

Butler sucks and should be cut.

Seriously though I'd hedge a bet that it was Butler, look at the improvement in the run game after he came back from injury.

If it is Butler than that means that Peters was sub 80% on run blocks combined with his sack total and the fact that his conditioning and football intelligence (or lack thereof ) allegedly prevented us from running the no huddle.

How did this guy get voted to the Pro Bowl? and rewarded with a 60 million dollar deal.