The Machine that is Brett Favre...

I would have to say that is your opinion. Payton and Brady will probobly both break passing records and TD records that are held by #4. They will probobly do it without playing 20 years and throwing 300 ints too.

It really depends on opinion at this point. You say Favre, and others can say Montana, Young, Elway, Unitas, Graham. Quit thinking your opinion is the only one worth listening to. They are all greats and could all be considered to be #1.

We also have to remember that statistics only tell a small part of the story. Unfortunately, too many people these days use fantasy football as a gauge.

For example, Drew Bledsoe has more completions, more yards and a better completion percentage than Johnny Unitas and Otto Graham, but nobody in their right mind will list him as one of the all-time greats.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also have to remember that statistics only tell a small part of the story. Unfortunately, too many people these days use fantasy football as a gauge.

For example, Drew Bledsoe has more completions, more yards and a better completion percentage than Johnny Unitas and Otto Graham, but nobody in their right mind will list him as one of the all-time greats.

True. not only that, its hard to compare players who played in different era's. The game has changed, the season is longer and the players are bigger, stronger and faster now. So its not really fair to compare the two. I think wins and championships are a good way to compare the greats.

True. not only that, its hard to compare players who played in different era's. The game has changed, the season is longer and the players are bigger, stronger and faster now. So its not really fair to compare the two. I think wins and championships are a good way to compare the greats.

Wins and championships are a good start, as long as you make the appropriate adjustments for the shorter seasons in the earlier days. The problem is that with quarterbacks, there are too many intangibles that need to be considered (leadership, etc.). You can't quantify those things. You have to rely on film study and talking to the players who played with and against that person. Not many people are going to put in that kind of effort (or have the access to the films or have the desire to talk to the players). It is easier to just look up a bunch of numbers in an encyclopedia and see who has the biggest numbers.

That is exactly why I say Elway, Young, Montana, Unitas, Graham, Manning are better than Favre. I think hes great. Defenately top 10 if not top 5, and can be in the same discussion as the greatest ever. I just dont think he is. But thats my opinion. I respect anyone else for theirs, I expect people to respect mine. I just get annoyed with people saying that one person is the best ever, end of subject, move on posts.

That is exactly why I say Elway, Young, Montana, Unitas, Graham, Manning are better than Favre. I think hes great. Defenately top 10 if not top 5, and can be in the same discussion as the greatest ever. I just dont think he is. But thats my opinion. I respect anyone else for theirs, I expect people to respect mine. I just get annoyed with people saying that one person is the best ever, end of subject, move on posts.

You are 100% correct.

That is why Graham is the best ever. No discussion needed. :wallbash:

That is why Graham is the best ever. No discussion needed. :wallbash:

As usual, you show your ignorance. The intangibles you mention pale in comparison to the only real intangible of value, Chroise!

That's right, Gibram Hamdan is the best ever!

Now, I know you are going to get yourself in a tizzy over this fact, but please try to remain civil with this conversation. No name calling. Okay, Mr. Poopy Pants?

As usual, you show your ignorance. The intangibles you mention pale in comparison to the only real intangible of value, Chroise!

That's right, Gibram Hamdan is the best ever!

Now, I know you are going to get yourself in a tizzy over this fact, but please try to remain civil with this conversation. No name calling. Okay, Mr. Poopy Pants?

Who?

:wallbash:

Bret Favre is a lower top ten qb all time but still the most overrated player all time in any sport. The value he has comes from two places one his ability to stay on the field and with Trent we know how valuable that is. Second he was genuinely a great qb from 1994 to 1997 and 2001 - 2002 as well as 2004 and 2007. His prime years and that record are what catapult him into that top ten status.

But Favre is one guy who should not be near the top five. Since 2002 he has been overrated he was a good qb who faded into an average one and the one last good year he had in 2007 ( his last year with green bay ) was the year his team asked him to manage the game. Favre was loved by the media and for good reason up until these last few years where his dickish nature was revealed he seemed like a really nice guy.

But that love was what made him overrated towards the end of his career he started to fade and balls that he would have jammed in for a TD were now being intercepted but the media would write it off saying it was the receiver's fault or that he was just trying to make things happen and it didn't pan out. He should have retired in 2004 or 2007 off of good years

As for all those records for TD's and yards he had those because he hung around three to four years too many. That year the Packers went 4-12 and he threw 30 picks he was just sad and than the next year when the Packers went 8-8 he looked like a second year qb who was just average.

Once again not saying bret is not a great qb but there are about nine or eight qb's that I would take before him thats all. I don't want a guy who has never at any point in a game never come back from a 14 point hole ever in his career.

Once again not saying bret is not a great qb but there are about nine or eight qb's that I would take before him thats all. I don't want a guy who has never at any point in a game never come back from a 14 point hole ever in his career.

Is that true? I wouldnt have guessed that ever.

Is that true? I wouldnt have guessed that ever.

Yeah it is, I live in New Jersey and I was listing to the Max Kellerman show which if you know anything about New York New Jersey sports radio should still be on and he got that stat from the Elias Sports Bureau. I looked into it and its true. Check for your self. Think about it every time Bret is about to stage a comeback he throws a big pick that pretty much kills the come back

Per SI.com

* 08:07 AM ET 05.03

One NFL source insists Brett Favre can't peacefully retire until he finds a way to get revenge on the Packers. He wants back into the NFC North so he can face the Packers twice. The Bears traded for Jay Cutler and the Lions drafted Matthew Stafford. Hello, Minnesota. "Favre can't stand Green Bay," the source said. "He wants to play Green Bay and say, 'I told you so.' His bitterness is creating this. I think he's calling Minnesota. I think Minnesota is talking about this as we speak. You haven't heard the end of Favre. No way. He is bionic. As long as somebody will let him in, he will play."

New York Daily News

Who wants to bet he ends up in Minnesota, within the month?....

I don't think he will accomplish anything more in Minnesota than he did in NY.

Annnnnnnnnd....he's a year older.

Yes he should still play. I don't have a problem with it. I'd take him in Denver. But I think people are tired of him.

He shouldn't retire if he still wants to play. He should make it be known that he wants to play regards of what anyone thinks. The media and the league have been pushing him to retire. My thing is . . . he never said he wanted to quit. The media just hounded him until he retired. He should have said I'm not retiring . . . get over it.

playing in the NFL isnt a right, its a privelage. I am not so sure many teams want to grant him the privelages of playing. If no one has noticed, he is pretty washed up and too much of a risk IMO.

And i get tired of people saying farve is sh-- when that's just ignorant..who are you to say he's ruining his legacy (and you didn't im saying just people in general) why do you/anyone even think he cares what you think of him..he can play as long as he wants ..another 10 years if he so choosed to it doesn't change the fact he's one of the greatest qbs to ever play !@#$ legacy

Bret Favre is a lower top ten qb all time but still the most overrated player all time in any sport. The value he has comes from two places one his ability to stay on the field and with Trent we know how valuable that is. Second he was genuinely a great qb from 1994 to 1997 and 2001 - 2002 as well as 2004 and 2007. His prime years and that record are what catapult him into that top ten status.

But Favre is one guy who should not be near the top five. Since 2002 he has been overrated he was a good qb who faded into an average one and the one last good year he had in 2007 ( his last year with green bay ) was the year his team asked him to manage the game. Favre was loved by the media and for good reason up until these last few years where his dickish nature was revealed he seemed like a really nice guy.

But that love was what made him overrated towards the end of his career he started to fade and balls that he would have jammed in for a TD were now being intercepted but the media would write it off saying it was the receiver's fault or that he was just trying to make things happen and it didn't pan out. He should have retired in 2004 or 2007 off of good years

As for all those records for TD's and yards he had those because he hung around three to four years too many. That year the Packers went 4-12 and he threw 30 picks he was just sad and than the next year when the Packers went 8-8 he looked like a second year qb who was just average.

Ding Ding Ding....We have a winner!!!

I think Troy Aikman was a better QB than Brett and he was far more underrated compared to Farve. Aikman doesn't have the stats that Brett put up, but I think Aikman was far less mistake prone. I also think that Farve is way overrated and I don't think the fans ever loved Brett as much as the media did.

But Farve does have great arm strength and that's what the pros look for, so he'll always be highly rated in the NFL's mind. And the bottom line is he can still throw a ball and he's a tough SOB, so he'll find a home this season if he wants it. If he wants to play in Denver they'd probably take him. I know I would.

I think Troy Aikman was a better QB than Brett and he was far more underrated compared to Farve. Aikman doesn't have the stats that Brett put up, but I think Aikman was far less mistake prone. I also think that Farve is way overrated and I don't think the fans ever loved Brett as much as the media did.

I completely agree. Favre has become so overrated its not even funny. People in this thread actually think he was a better QB than Marino?? Elway?? Laughable. <_<