Anyone else concerned about the DT position?

Not trying to fill the role of AKC :thumbsup: but...

I know the Bills could always shore up the position between now and September,but they are one serious injury away to Stroud(who is on the wrong side of 30) to being in really bad shape at the position. That would leave them with...

1.)Williams(overacheiving high motor guy)

2.)McCargo(so bad they tried to trade him and hoped Indy wouldn't flunk him at time of physical)

3.)Johnson(signed last year as a FA, but has yet to be seen).

I think that only at the QB position would an injury be more disastrous.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too believe the DL coach was the problem . McCargo can stuff the run and played well his 2nd year showed some flashes of why he was a #1 pick he is a run stuffer that is what we want him to do. He needs to be given second chance . What do we have to lose..

I like Straud and Williams

You missed the OP's original point which is that we are one injury away from being perilously thin at the position.

I don't think they're as down on McCargo as you are. I think they viewed a large portion of the problem as his relationship with the D Line coach, who has since moved on. McCargo knows what's riding on this season.
I too believe the DL coach was the problem . McCargo can stuff the run and played well his 2nd year showed some flashes of why he was a #1 pick he is a run stuffer that is what we want him to do. He needs to be given second chance . What do we have to lose..

Hope you guys are right. But McCargo definitely resides in the "has much to prove" category. I have to agree with Labatt Blue. I am concerned although I think Spencer Johnson is a good rotational player. I wish we would have signed Rod Coleman when he was available. He fits our scheme perfectly. Here's a post from March 27th about Coleman:

One guy who slipped through the cracks a bit and was signed about an hour ago is Rod Coleman. He's the DT who made the Pro Bowl in 2005 and has 58.5 career sacks and 11 career forced fumbles. His last big year was 2006...he played only 7 games in 2007 and was out of football last year (edit-to let his body heal up).

He was released by the Falcons the same day they released Alge Crumpler and at the time I was hoping the Bills would have an interest in both players. Coleman will be 33 in August. He's a quick, penetrating tackle who excels in pass rush. Might have made a nice situational player.

If Henderson was really on the trading block for a 4th I'd be all for that- Stroud, Henderson, Williams, McCargo, would be a good DT rotation- Spencer for hire didn't impress me, I liked Denny playing DT better than him- here's a question, what's the latest on Glenn Dorsey.

I guess I just don't see it, but can someone explain how the d-line coach can make McCargo suck? I feel like the whole "adding a new coach will make McCargo better" is just an idea us fans are clinging to as a last hope about the career of our former 1st round pick.

This is the NFL, not high school. You don't like your d-line coach? Tough. It isn't about that. It's about your damn job. You go out there and compete the best you can no matter what. The whole d-line coach thing just doesn't make sense to me. If McCargo wanted to give an effort, he would have.

I guess I just don't see it, but can someone explain how the d-line coach can make McCargo suck? I feel like the whole "adding a new coach will make McCargo better" is just an idea us fans are clinging to as a last hope about the career of our former 1st round pick.

This is the NFL, not high school. You don't like your d-line coach? Tough. It isn't about that. It's about your damn job. You go out there and compete the best you can no matter what. The whole d-line coach thing just doesn't make sense to me. If McCargo wanted to give an effort, he would have.

I think the point your missing is that the d line with the exception of stroud sucked

I know the Bills could always shore up the position between now and September,but they are one serious injury away to Stroud(who is on the wrong side of 30) to being in really bad shape at the position. That would leave them with...

2.)McCargo(so bad they tried to trade him and hoped Indy wouldn't flunk him at time of physical)

Is there such a thing as being on the right side of 30? :thumbsup:

I think that DE play has a lot to do with the DT play - if we get some production from our DE's, this will help take some load off the DT's and make them that much better. Schobel's health is critical.

Very concerned. If Jax would take a 3 and a 5 in the 10 draft (same as they took for Stroud) for Henderson, I'd be all for that.

DT concerns have been halted due to the drafting of Maybin and adulation of same, as the Difference Maker.

Words to the contrary must be dismissed as akin to a farm animal grunting displeasure about his rations for the day. Get with the program, Labatt, and blaspheme no more. :thumbsup: