Anyone else concerned about the DT position?

Henderson is not the solution either - he's 30. I would be very wary of banking our hopes on two DTs who are 30 and above. Since Kyle Williams is the only draft pick successfully groomed to fit into this role (assuming that McCargo really is a wash, and no amount of coaching will improve him), it is time to address this position seriously next draft.

For this season, if the Jags are willing to trade Henderson for a 3/4rd pick, that might not be a bad idea - one less pick that the FO will end up spending on a DB next draft! This way we have some insurance for this season and can build a system that the youngsters can come in and learn..

Henderson is the solution for at least the short term. At the least, he provides what we're looking for in a stop-gap state, until we can infuse young talent into the position via the draft next year or the year after.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am slightly concerned about the DT position and think it will likely be a priority in next year's draft. That said, I want to see what McCargo does this year with a line coach who is willing to work with him. He had a lot of talent at NCSU. I went to school there and watched every game he played. He made Manny Lawson and Mario Williams better by doing what he did: getting fast penetration into the middle of the pocket. If the new DL coach can work with him this offseason, I think he may surprise some people. That being said, we should get Henderson in here, and then we should draft a young, talented DT with our first rounder next year.

I don't understand, and haven't in a while, why the Bills don't consider bigger DT's. Run Stuffers. I know the Tampa 2 philosophy is pressure and speed, but why not let the outside pressure, and if it is going to come up the middle, from the linebacker? It doesn't seem like any of our DT's since we took on the Tampa 2 style have been sack machines, and we certainly haven't been tearing up opposing QB's...or running backs. I'd like to see them add a big DT that can clog up the middle.

The Saints let go of their DT this week. I think his name was Holis Thomas? He had a couple of good seasons as I recall. I think we could still pick somebody up before the preseason if the walkons and free agents don't pan out.

I too believe the DL coach was the problem . McCargo can stuff the run and played well his 2nd year showed some flashes of why he was a #1 pick he is a run stuffer that is what we want him to do. He needs to be given second chance . What do we have to lose..

I believe "stuffing the run" was the problem and the disagreement as well. McCargo appeared much more inclined to want to penetrate, thus not handling his duties assigned. Sam Adams was another who fit this mold.

I believe "stuffing the run" was the problem and the disagreement as well. McCargo appeared much more inclined to want to penetrate, thus not handling his duties assigned. Sam Adams was another who fit this mold.

Actually, I believe the entire idea of McCargo's position was "to penetrate" rather than stuff the run. The DTs in this defense are supposed to disrupt the backfield and not just hold their ground or clog up the middle. It may be a stupid defense, and I personally wish we didnt employ it, but McCargo was brought in to penetrate, not clog.