TimeWarnerCable vs DirectTV

RayFinkle

Anybody sign up for any good deals recently with either company, or know of any recent promos?

I'm trying to get Cable/Phone/Internet all in one package as cheap as possible (aren't we all).

Anybody sign up for any good deals recently with either company, or know of any recent promos?

I'm trying to get Cable/Phone/Internet all in one package as cheap as possible (aren't we all).

I recently compared DirecTV and TW - pricing was about the same.

Be careful with the prices that DirecTV quotes. After the promotional period ends they increase significantly.

That said - DirecTV did offer a few more channels and from my understanding the picture quality is significantly better.

DirecTV = FiOS > Dish > antenna > TWC/Comcast/Charter/etc

Prices for DirecTV are generally on par with cable nowadays. However, the service is 100x better, DirecTV has more HD than any other provider (and a LOT more than Comcast -- only a little more than Dish and FiOS). TWC doesn't have NFL Network (or won't in a day or two), and it's on the standard package with DirecTV.

DirecTV is (finally) adding MRV to their receivers - meaning you can record a show on DVR A and watch it on DVR B. I believe UVerse already has this feature...

The only downside to DirecTV?Dish are that the installers are frequently lazy and will tell you that you have no place to get a signal. If they tell you that, they're probably lying to get to an easier job. While it looks like the dish is pointing straight ahead, it's really pointing up in the sky -- so tall trees generally aren't a problem, unless you're right next to them.

I go with direct simply because I want Sunday Ticket. If I could get ST on cable I would switch in a minute.

DirecTV, no questions asked. 1000000x better service and there's essentially no difference in prices. Not to mention directv runs all kinds of promotional offers. You'll get free equipment, and there's always the refer-a-friend program for future rebates.

DirecTV, no questions asked. 1000000x better service and there's essentially no difference in prices. Not to mention directv runs all kinds of promotional offers. You'll get free equipment, and there's always the refer-a-friend program for future rebates.

They updated their refer-a-friend program -- both parties get $100 now.

I agree with everything Fezmid said.

I will say that every cable company I have had to deal with has tried to stick it in my a@@ at some point. Im sure there are some horror stories with Direct TV, but their customer service is 1,000,000X better than any cable company, specifically CONcast, Charter, and TW. I really think a lot of these companies are used to having a near monopoly and cant take the competition because their product and business structure are inferior.

Picture quality of DirecTV kills any cable I have ever seen. Many more HD channels.

The ONLY thing cable has that is better is On Demand and Howard TV. For me, thats nowhere near worth having a company increase my rates, bill extra charges, while taking away stations.

I cant speak for or against FIOS... other than their internet service is good

The ONLY thing cable has that is better is On Demand and Howard TV. For me, thats nowhere near worth having a company increase my rates, bill extra charges, while taking away stations.

DirecTV has OnDemand if you have your receiver connected to your network. I watched some of the Olympics last year, and they were all cut down into bite-sized HD chunks. Very handy <_< (that's the only time I've actually used OnDemand though - I have enough stuff recorded on my DVR :worthy: )

yeah, the DVR takes away much of the need for OnDemand. Howard TV is still exclusive to On Demand though. But again, its nowhere near enough incentive.

Here in Philly, local sports teams are carried on Comcast Sports, so if you dont have Comcast Cable, you cannot watch the Phillies and Flyers even though I subscribe to Center Ice and Extra Innings. I feel that is BS to pigeon-hole local subscribers.

Apparently I am the only person who has had the opposite...

I had DirecTV for 6 years and they tried to stick it up my a$$ when I had to upgrade an HD DVR I bought from them like 5 months earlier and it was usuless when it came to get their new expanded HD Channels. Yes Fezzy, I cired and cried and threaten to cancel them and all that good stuff - they still refused to upgrade I was NOT going to shell out another $500 on a box that I had to still pay for but yet rent fromt hem as well; whereas in the past I bought my receiver and it was mine. The Satellite Internet service through them is atrocious, my friends have it...it blows. Separate phone service costs an arm and a leg...

I had the Full DTV package with Playboy, and all the the stations, plus three receivers and 2 DVRs for about $120 a month IIRC. Road Runner through TW $50.00 and Verzion $35.00 + $25.00 in taxes and fees...TW cam and ran all new RG6 cable from the pole to my house and gave me all the stations (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Skinemax) minus playboy, 2 DVRs, phone and RR for $125 a month. When the promotion was up, I threatened to go back...I still pay $125 a month...

On my 55" Toshiba DLP 1080i, you CANNOT tell the difference between TW and DTV. With the exception of the games and Adam Shefter NFLN is mosty garabge...Sunday Ticket - not worth the cash it is now...unless you can't see your beloved Bills team on locals or in driving distance to go live...or unless you want to see all the games...which i dont care too much about...

DTV used to be awesome when I first got them, but their Customer Service is horrible...I know lots of people who have it and have canceled or others only keep it for football season...