The NFL is considering a 3 day draft(Thu-Sat)

I apologize if this has already been posted...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/...ays-prime-time/

Goodell continues to try to fix things that are not broken. He should of first of all left the draft at noon. For alot of people it is an allday event. Putting it on thurs, fri, sat is stupid if you ask me. Just like he was trying to get the super bowl played in London. he backtracked on that real quick once he saw the negative feedback.

Goodell continues to try to fix things that are not broken. He should of first of all left the draft at noon. For alot of people it is an allday event. Putting it on thurs, fri, sat is stupid if you ask me. Just like he was trying to get the super bowl played in London. he backtracked on that real quick once he saw the negative feedback.

Maybe they are having second thoughts about cutting down the time to make picks. I remain amazed they did that - cutting the time to work deals, think about who was picked before, etc. Million-dollar decisions to make in the 1st and 2nd, and they lopped a third off the time. Jerks...

Maybe they are having second thoughts about cutting down the time to make picks. I remain amazed they did that - cutting the time to work deals, think about who was picked before, etc. Million-dollar decisions to make in the 1st and 2nd, and they lopped a third off the time. Jerks...

Cutting down the time was the best thing the NFL did. You've had months to come up with a draft board and make decisions, and now teams are stressed because they only have 10 minutes to submit a pick instead of 15? If those 5 minutes make a huge difference in decision making, there's a real problem with that team.

In the first round, i'd guess most teams spend all of 1 minute making their selection and the remaining 9 are spent hoping someone calls offering the farm on a trade up.

I see the appeal from a TV standpoint and that would be ok with me, except that it kills the momentum to the draft by having only one round on Thursday. I'd also think the teams would hate it since it makes them have their whole set-up going for 3 days instead of two.

I did like the 4:00 start though; was able to get out and enjoy the day before coming home to start the TIVO recording at 5:00 and catch up live just about the time the Bills picked.

Cutting down the time was the best thing the NFL did. You've had months to come up with a draft board and make decisions, and now teams are stressed because they only have 10 minutes to submit a pick instead of 15? If those 5 minutes make a huge difference in decision making, there's a real problem with that team.

In the first round, i'd guess most teams spend all of 1 minute making their selection and the remaining 9 are spent hoping someone calls offering the farm on a trade up.

Well, we disagree. I'd rather have the extra 5 minutes working the phones or waiting for a call, as I contemplate forking over several million dollars.

Doing the draft over three days of prime time television makes a lot of sense on many levels...just not to those fans who actually attend the event.

Seems like the television/radio advertising dollars are really what the NFL is chasing here. Unless you have a flexible work schedule or live in the NYC area, the idea of doing this is not very fan friendly to people actually wanting to attend the draft. I guess it's all about maximizing revenue streams these days. I sure hope they don't start charging admission for the draft. That would seem to be the next step.

Hey, in fantasy you only get 90 seconds! :blink:

Well, we disagree. I'd rather have the extra 5 minutes working the phones or waiting for a call, as I contemplate forking over several million dollars.

But you've had since the middle of january or decide to whom you are going to fork over millions of dollars to (you even know roughly how many millions you are going to fork over). If teams need that extra 5 minutes so bad, i recommend they extend pre-draft meetings on friday evening by an additional 5 minutes.

Goodell is a jerk and an idiot for not given Belichick a suspension, pushing for the Superbowl to be played on foreign soil, pushing for additional regular season games being added onto the already lengthy 16 game season, and now screwing up the draft with that dumb and unnecessary 4:00 pm start and wanting it to become a ridiculous three day event. Does the NFL have to become money whores like ESPN and sap every nickel of profit they can get regardless of how it looks and plays with the fans and public? I can't stand Roger Goodell. He's the worst sports commissioner ever.

But you've had since the middle of january or decide to whom you are going to fork over millions of dollars to (you even know roughly how many millions you are going to fork over). If teams need that extra 5 minutes so bad, i recommend they extend pre-draft meetings on friday evening by an additional 5 minutes.

Well - look at all the trades the Pats* and CLE did, among some others. Your pre-draft board might need some considered re-thinking.

Well - look at all the trades the Pats* and CLE did, among some others. Your pre-draft board might need some re-thinking. I prefer to have more time to do so.

The draft is dynamic. What other teams do usually matters.

I apologize if this has already been posted...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/28/...ays-prime-time/

I would aslo bet that the push to three days is to put the first round of the draft on Thursday nights on the NFL network ailenating all of the cable viewers in a way to obtain even more revenue for the NFL and Giving the Remaining Rounds to ESPN.

Goodell is a jerk and an idiot for not given Belichick a suspension, pushing for the Superbowl to be played on foreign soil, pushing for additional regular season games being added onto the already lengthy 16 game season, and now screwing up the draft with that dumb and unnecessary 4:00 pm start and wanting it to become a ridiculous three day event. Does the NFL have to become money whores like ESPN and sap every nickel of profit they can get regardless of how it looks and plays with the fans and public? I can't stand Roger Goodell. He's the worst sports commissioner ever.

I beg to differ.

I would aslo bet that the push to three days is to put the first round of the draft on Thursday nights on the NFL network ailenating all of the cable viewers in a way to obtain even more revenue for the NFL and Giving the Remaining Rounds to ESPN.

Hah! I bet your have nailed it. :blink:

He's not trying to fix anything. He's trying to improve it. I think the ratings would be even better for them. It would be cool to see them start it at 8pm and do the first round. Then Friday night they can do rounds two and three and four through seven on Saturday. The NFL isn't a sport as much as business and if this keeps them monetarily happy then let 'em do it.

Marv Levy said that the first round should be five minutes and the later rounds longer because picking a first round guy was very easy and it gets harder and harder as the draft goes on. I believe that when a team wants to trade they'll call teams in a slot they want a couple of picks ahead. Then if their guy is still on the board they clinch the deal.

Hey, in fantasy you only get 90 seconds! :w00t:

You're fantasy is to last 90 seconds? Man your wife must be miserable. :blink:

A lot of players that I've heard speak about the pre-season want it reduced to two games. They've also said that if there are going to be four extra games why not make two count. I'm sure not all players feel that way but many do. If they go that route then they need to put in two bye weeks for each team. JMO

:rolleyes: